Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
The essays are still WAY WAY too long...it really annoys me that these books are all like that. I could write much better essays given 2000 words. I think its pretty similar to the previous edition just has executive MBA stuff.

It probably doesn't tell you anything you don't already know Kryzak.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks river! MBA Game Plan seems to be updating their school info and putting in more essays... I wonder if they'll have shorter ones.

Right now the BEST sample essay book is the HBS 65 Successful Essays... reading through the "Leadership" essays helped me write my Haas one in under 500 words. Before that I was at 1200 words.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just placed an order for Montauk's book. I heard a lot of good things about it from former applicants. Will ebay it if its crap.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
don't worry, the book is GOOD. You just might need some others to supplement, like Bodine's Essay book, HBS 65 Successful Essays, MBA Game Plan, and maybe 88 Tips.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
We should just publish our own GMATClub MBA book. I spent half of my day in the library looking at MBA essay books. While they are really good, I want to know who writes these essays.
Some of the essays are really super hero types. I could never do anything like that.

Example - One essay talked about how an applicant got bomb shelled by Colombian paramilitaries (I wonder what he was doing in Colombia), mugged in Nicaragua, and some interesting examples.

I have never got into such exciting stuff, other than being hassled by some homeless people in downtown LA.

Its hard relating such essays to our lives. Made me feel totally worthless.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
i wonder how being shelled in Columbia contributed to why he needs a MBA. did it inspire him to go into the defense contracting business to build bomb shelters?

but seriously, not everyone has that type of life changing experience and I imagine if too many people force an interesting story, it would sound canned. I'm hoping that a good execution of a relatively "normal" industry/personal background can be just as effective. After all, I met a kellogg student who used to work in a paper company b4 he joined the program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aviroop wrote:
We should just publish our own GMATClub MBA book. I spent half of my day in the library looking at MBA essay books. While they are really good, I want to know who writes these essays.
Some of the essays are really super hero types. I could never do anything like that.

Example - One essay talked about how an applicant got bomb shelled by Colombian paramilitaries (I wonder what he was doing in Colombia), mugged in Nicaragua, and some interesting examples.

I have never got into such exciting stuff, other than being hassled by some homeless people in downtown LA.

Its hard relating such essays to our lives. Made me feel totally worthless.

The most impressive essays I've read are of a woman continuing to pursue her MS @ Stanford while fighting breast cancer and a guy continuing his BS @ Tufts after a horrible motorcycle accident. Both are remarkable stories of determination that I can't hold a candle to. Thankfully I haven't had that type of trauma and I can't say education would be on my mind if I experienced those scenarios.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I tried to get hold of these B-school books, but to no avail. It seems like all Delhi book stores have exhausted their shelf sapce by stocking Kraplan an other GMAT prep books. In the ten odd book-stores I went to/called - not a single essay/application book.

But thanks to fellow gmatclubber I've realized that this forum provides more info/support than these books.

Now I have decided to write blind essays (as in w/o seeing any previous successful essays) an let things work themselves out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
sangoman wrote:
I tried to get hold of these B-school books, but to no avail. It seems like all Delhi book stores have exhausted their shelf sapce by stocking Kraplan an other GMAT prep books. In the ten odd book-stores I went to/called - not a single essay/application book.

But thanks to fellow gmatclubber I've realized that this forum provides more info/support than these books.

Now I have decided to write blind essays (as in w/o seeing any previous successful essays) an let things work themselves out.

Search google books for 64 successful harvard essays and you will be able to read through a few pages.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
sangoman wrote:

Try the public library, or look online on firstandsecond.com. You can also see if USEFI had anything - they might have some of the essay books.

Any relatives in Kolkata - ask them to hit College Street and look for mba essay books. If there is any book that you need to find, thats the place. I
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Avi an NCP.......

btw got a tip that "Break The MBA Admissions Barrier" by Mohit-Hari is the perfect resource for desi MBA aspirants. Have ordered it online. Will tell if its any good in the near future.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I bought Montauk's book two weeks ago. I have only read through chapter 7 and 8 (the book suggested that I read those two first). The book is insightful. However, almost everything I read in the book so far can be found in the forums of gmatclub. But with the growing number of countless pages in this forum, the book may save you the time of scrolling through them.

Another plus is the $100 off coupon for manhattan gmat prep course for those who are beginning to prep for gmat like me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rusk521 wrote:
I bought Montauk's book two weeks ago. I have only read through chapter 7 and 8 (the book suggested that I read those two first). The book is insightful. However, almost everything I read in the book so far can be found in the forums of gmatclub.

Because all of us have read and memorized montauk's :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have been reading some of the essays on Vault. It seems like most of those are the right length. Also the people seem a lot more normal not the I stopped a civil war in my home country people out of some of the books. Some of the essays are actually pretty bad in my opinion, I just wonder if those actually got people in. I sure hope so because they make me feel a lot better about my essays.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
the Vault you say river? I'll go check it out.

It's GOOD to see bad essays of people who got in. That means people like us with average stories and writing skills can have a fighting chance of getting in!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
the Vault you say river? I'll go check it out.

It's GOOD to see bad essays of people who got in. That means people like us with average stories and writing skills can have a fighting chance of getting in!

You have to get a gold membership, its not a bad thing to get I guess but it is pretty pricey. We got one when my wife was looking at new companies.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
doh! Yeah... the don't have ANY Haas essays, and only ONE Stanford essay. I was going to pay for the service if they had more Stanford essays, but not now. but the one stanford essay is for the "What Matters" and this person wrote:

Quote:
What matters most to me is making tomorrow a better day, not only for myself, but also for the world around me.

Wow... I didn't think it can be this "vague" and cliched... That's a good sign for me then to write about what i want to write and not worry about what the adcoms think.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2