Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology
Schools:Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: Applicants with Finance Backgrounds [#permalink]
Oh, and one other thing that I think is incredibly important is to try to lay out how it is you define leadership. Clearly you might want to avoid defining leadership as formally being a manager of other workers, since you then clearly don't have leadership in your professional history. But think more esoterically in terms of what leadership really means, and, of course, tie that into the experiences you have had. I think it's always good to connect actual experience with theoretical beliefs when it comes to B school essays, whether the topic is leadership, teamwork, success/accomplishments, etc.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:LBS
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
Oh, and one other thing that I think is incredibly important is to try to lay out how it is you define leadership. Clearly you might want to avoid defining leadership as formally being a manager of other workers, since you then clearly don't have leadership in your professional history. But think more esoterically in terms of what leadership really means, and, of course, tie that into the experiences you have had. I think it's always good to connect actual experience with theoretical beliefs when it comes to B school essays, whether the topic is leadership, teamwork, success/accomplishments, etc.

So i take it we have a degree of flexibility with regards to what defines leadership. does it make sense to base it on theoretical frameworks or is there truly carte blanche in defining what it truly is( as that could potentially be subjective)?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
well, in my opinion, given that schools (not all) are trending towards younger applicants, the expectation of formal leadership on an applicant's leadership may have diminished in an AdCom's eyes. However, I think the display of the potential of leadership is much more important. In framing leadership appropriately can potential be demonstrated. While you may not have had formal reports, can you think of situations where you took ownership of workstreams? Perhaps you are a subject matter expert in a certain field and people come to you directly for help on related initiatives?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
HBS2011 wrote:

So i take it we have a degree of flexibility with regards to what defines leadership. does it make sense to base it on theoretical frameworks or is there truly carte blanche in defining what it truly is( as that could potentially be subjective)?

I don't think it's necessary to start referring to leadership frameworks (Authentic Leadership, Level 5 Leadership, etc.). I would focus more on how *you* define good leadership - and how you fit that bill.

One other point on leadership, don't just look for examples at work: use the whole spectrum of your life and activities to find good examples of where you have demonstrated leadership.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:LBS
Send PM
Jerz wrote:
HBS2011 wrote:

I don't think it's necessary to start referring to leadership frameworks (Authentic Leadership, Level 5 Leadership, etc.). I would focus more on how *you* define good leadership - and how you fit that bill.

One other point on leadership, don't just look for examples at work: use the whole spectrum of your life and activities to find good examples of where you have demonstrated leadership.

Good point. I just dont want to full out of the remit expected by adcom especially as its supposed to be relatively competitive this year.
GMAT Club Bot