Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application Metrics: Your MBA Scorecard - mbaMission Lecture

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

How Would You Rate This Video?

• 42% [6]
  • 35% [5]
  • 0% [0]
  • 7% [1]
  • 14% [2]
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8812 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Application Metrics: Your MBA Scorecard - mbaMission Lecture [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 11:53
Expert's post

Application Metrics: Your MBA Scorecard

a Video Lecture by mbaMission | A part of the 1,000,000 posts celebration

How will admissions officers weigh your application? How do admissions officers deal with the situation they face of too many good candidates and not enough seats in the class? They assess each candidate based on an array of factors, from academic potential to leadership experience and potential, to interpersonal skills, to fit with the program. In this session, learn how to asses your own quantitative and qualitative factors to try to understand how you will be viewed by the admissions committee at the school of your dreams...and what you can do to improve that assessment!

Have comments or questions?

Post them here

Free Tests Day Code:

Nov12FreeMBA. You can redeem it here: http://gmatclub.com/tests/price.html just pick the one-day package.

50% off GMAT Apps

GMAT Toolkit for iPhone and Android are on 50% sale today

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Attachment:
2012-11-12_1157.png
2012-11-12_1157.png [ 137.78 KiB | Viewed 1856 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3497

Kudos [?]: 26371 [1] , given: 2710

Re: Application Metrics: Your MBA Scorecard - mbaMission Lecture [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

Best questions & answers from comments

Dimiter Kraev wrote:
Jessica, thanks for the very informative presentation! I have two questions and would love to hear your opinion on them.

1. Do you think that a nationality which is not that well represented in the MBA applicants pool could be an advantage? (again because of the schools wanting to have more diverse classes)

2. Do business schools prefer candidates having work experience in multinational companies (banking, consulting, auditing) rather than smaller start-up projects? (I agree this sound like a MBA myth, but still if I try to place myself in their "shoes" it should be very difficult for them to really undestand the development withing a smaller-scale business vs. standardized career development in MNC)

Thank you for your time!
MBAMission wrote:
1. Yes, absolutely. It won't compensate for a weak profile, but schools do like to build a diverse class.

2. Again, they want to build a diverse class. They will take applicants from many backgrounds. Yes, they like to see big companies because those companies are known quantities. But they also will take people with start up experience. It's always the IMPACT you've had that is more important anyway.

Sayuri Iwasa wrote:
Thanks for earlier answer and insightful presentation. Another question, as someone who recently graduated as business undergrad about 2 yrs ago, now works in tech company in Silicon Valley, and starting to think ahead for an MBA, what considerations should we make to strengthen our profile outside of work environment? What type of certifications or volunteer work would be most compelling for someone without a plethora of leadership experience?

Or more specifically, what type of unique opportunities and from what avenues can we reach out to get involved in? I was thinking micro finance abroad but don't know where to start.
MBAMission wrote:
sayuri, what's most important is that you get involved in something that you're passionate about. There is no one activity or type of activity that will necessarily round out your profile better one way than another. If you're passionate about something and enjoy doing it, you'll have an impact, and that's what they're looking for. But if you lack leadership at work, look for it outside - don't just volunteer, organize an event. Offer to chair a committee. etc

Sayuri Iwasa wrote:
Sorry, another question: I feel that over the last 2 years, my role/job in SV Tech company has not offer or condoned much opportunity for advancement, personal growth, and initiative in innovation. Should I be looking to continue to make impact organically within my organization/company or actively look for another position at a different company where there is more opportunity to make meaningful impact?
MBAMission wrote:
I've seen people do different options. Sometimes they find a chance outside their job function but at work, other times they find opportunities to make an impact outside of work and other times they end up leaving. The schools like to see that you create your own opportunities - regardless of where. I'm sorry for the vague answer but there is no formula here!

Sayuri Iwasa wrote:
Thanks for your answers. In additional to that question, is there a general guideline for # of years to stay within one role before there is an expectation from schools for advancement or transition to another job/company? Would staying in an analyst role for 2-4 years at a company be looked down upon?
MBAMission wrote:
That seems a bit long, but some industries don't promote. The schools are more interested in seeing that your scope of responsibility expanded than that your title changed.

For more check: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3497

Kudos [?]: 26371 [0], given: 2710

Re: Application Metrics: Your MBA Scorecard - mbaMission Lecture [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 23:12
Expert's post
Re: Application Metrics: Your MBA Scorecard - mbaMission Lecture   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2013, 23:12