Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Application Strategy - Help needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Application Strategy - Help needed [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 18:24
Dear All,

I need some advice on applying in Round 3. A brief of my profile can be found in this link :

24-t48287

Subsequent to this post i retook the GMAT and got a 700 (Q48, V 38), applied to IIM-A (PGPX), INSEAD (previously waitlisted here), Chicago and Kellogg. Surprisingly IIM-A and INSEAD (despite being a waitlisted re-applicant) rejected me without an interview, and the rest rejected be after an interview. When I sought feedback from the interviewers of Chicago and Kellogg, they seemed equally surprised about the outcome, nevertheless at the end of the day i did not make it.

Now I am considering applying to Duke, Michigan, NYU and UCLA in Round 3. Due to some personal committments i was not able to apply for R 2 and I missed the deadlines. I would like to hear your opinion on whether I should apply in R 3 this year or should I wait another year and apply in R 1.

Thanks.

Maverick
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Re: Application Strategy - Help needed [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 18:50
I would recommend waiting. R3 is supposed to be insanely tough especially for an Indian. You also dont mention too much about your non-work related activities. I would work on those over the year and apply in R1 next year.
Intern
Intern

Re: Application Strategy - Help needed [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 18:53
Dear All,

Sorry i forgot to mention in my previous post: I have worked extensively on community projects from Slum Rehab and education drives in India to tutoring classes for homeless children in the US. Apart from that I have also won a few awards in Singing, Elocution, Shot Put and have captained my high school cricket team.

Maverick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Application Strategy - Help needed [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 18:55
Maverick, you should have applied in R2 with the applicant pool being so competitive this year and getting only more competitive with the economy in a downturn. With that said, If you really want to get into a program this year, I would apply to a safety school (top 15-20). Ross admits only a few applicants in R3, I don't know about Duke and UCLA. Also, being an international might play a big part in the decision making with all the visa complications. Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

Re: Application Strategy - Help needed [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 19:01
Maverick,

I would give schools with 4 rounds a try in R3. So UCLA R3 might work for you. Haas R3 is Jan 31st, if you can finish in 2 weeks. R4's for those schools are very bad, just like R3's at Ross and elsewhere.

I would probably wait if you can't make the 4-round schools' R3.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Intern
Intern

Re: Application Strategy - Help needed [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 01:06
Thank you all, I guess waiting out is a better option at this stage. This also gives me a chance to relook at my application in its entirety and add a fresh look to it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Application Strategy - Help needed [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2008, 04:11
Another thing to consider, I believe some schools will not admit international students in the final round because of visa concerns. So definitely look into whether they actually admit international students in the final round.

It might help to wait until next year and come up with a list of schools where your chances are stronger. I dont think the Indian applications will be as affected by the slumping economy in the US as some other demographics. Besides its already an extremely tough one so a year isnt going to make it that much harder, since its already so tough.

My advice is to wait until next year since your chances are so slim in R3. Also I hate to say it but given the competition in your pool, I recommend you retake the GMAT. A 700 is a great score but if you ask the Indians on here who have had success many have 750+ and if you are waiting until next year you will have plenty of time to work on bringing up your score. Also I suggest you frequent this place, there are lots of discussions from people on what worked for them and you can really absorb a lot about the process by just following some of the threads. Also, chances are there will be some people on here right now who will be attending the schools you will apply to next year, and most everyone here is super helpful and they will probably be able to give you some constructive advice on essay approaches and such. And honestly the more you are involved on here the more people are willing to help.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Application Strategy - Help needed   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2008, 04:11