Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Apply as an undergraduate student [#permalink]
Thank you so much for the advice. I've never known before that applying to an MBA program is so difficult to an undergraduate student like this. Maybe I should think about applying to a Master program instead. I am wondering if working experience is really important to the application for a Master's degree? Also, could you please suggest names of some top schools which offer Master programs?
I strongly appreciate your help.
Intern
Intern
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Well let me start off by letting you know that I am based in the USA, so the information I am giving is based on that.

For a master's program it really depends what you are looking to do. Are you currently a college senior? Do you have a job offer? Do you want to get an MA/MS in Management or is something else?

London Business School has a Master's in Management program. It is intended for students with little to no work experience.

HEC Paris also has an MS (? I think it's and MS) in Management. Their degree is geared towards pre-experience candidates as well, but it is very competitive (717 average GMAT).

From what I can tell these degrees are more popular in Europe than in the US.

Duke University just started a Master in Management Studies degree (MMS) that is geared toward candidates with no work experience. It is taught at their business school (Fuqua).

Wake Forest also offers an MA in Management.

That is about all I know in respect to management masters. Even with one of these degrees I highly recommend you work for 2-3 yrs before getting an MBA. Most of these programs will tell you that it is very difficult to transition from an MA/MS to an MBA. MBA's are much morebeneficial to you if you have work experience to relate to the subject matter.

Then again my disclaimer: I'm not in business school so this is just what I've heard.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Getting into an MBA program outside of HBS's 2 & 2 program is next to impossible. I think the youngest students here at Kellogg have 2 years and there are only a few of those.

Besides getting in being difficult, getting a job with less than 3 years work experience is tougher than with 4 to 6 years...if you have 2 or less years then it is exponentially more difficult. Lots of companies will flat out not even bother interviewing you if you dont have at a minimum 3 or 4 years of experience...some of which are some of the top companies to work for. Outside of IB and MC options are limited, and those are becoming increasingly more difficult for everyone. I also think that with little experience there is only so much you will get out of your experience and only so much you will provide to classmates experience. Younger students often are extremely bright but they dont have the depth of experiences to base comments on. You rarelly hear them say how something they did at their job directly relates to a discussion.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
From my eperience it is really, really, extremely rare. I knew a guy that had a 4.0 in Economics at Penn (Wharton) that graduated early and was admitted into a special undergrad/MBA program that allows you to graduate with both degrees in 5 years. He was also pretty much a genius.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Entrepreneurs also have a good shot at getting in, so if you run your own company during college some schools may consider you. When I visited MIT, I was floored about how many undergrad-to-MBA kids there were -- 4 that I met during my very short visit -- all entrepreneurs.

The bigger question is...do you really need to do an MBA immediately after college? Chances are probably not.
GMAT Club Bot