Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
Re: Appropriateness of a Recommender [#permalink]
I think he'd be great for the Stanford peer recommender... would be wary about using him for other recs though.
VP
VP
Send PM
nutsngum wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
nutsngum wrote:
Outside of my full time job I've started an online mentoring organization with an undergrad classmate of mine. Just wondering everyone's opinion on whether or not that person would make a good recommender for my MBA applications. I can get two people at work but I think that my manager at work and him would give a good balance of opinions on my suitability for business school.

Would schools frown upon this since we were at one point classmates?

I don't think it's an issue. However, your co-founder/classmate not be an appropriate recommender for all of your apps. If you apply to Booth, HBS, or Stanford then he would definitely be appropriate. Other schools specifically request professional recommendations so I suggest getting those from people who have supervised your work in a professional capacity (peers and subordinates are not good choices).

So unless they state that they want professional recommendations, this would generally not be frowned upon?

You got it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm applying to Kellogg, LBS, Tuck, Fuqua, Ross and Johnson I think.

Are any of these schools more likely than the others to be willing to accept that type of recommender?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I am sorry, but a recommender should preferably be your supervisor at work or college professor, not a class mate or a colleague.
I hope it helped.
VP
VP
Send PM
Poonamtandon wrote:
I am sorry, but a recommender should preferably be your supervisor at work or college professor, not a class mate or a colleague.
I hope it helped.

Professors should NOT be recommenders. The only time a professor is appropriate is if you are right out of undergrad or graduate school and WORKED for that person. Schools do not want academic references.

And for some schools it is appropriate to have a colleague write the letter of recommendation (i.e. Stanford's peer recommender). In nutsngum's case this isn't someone who sits in the cube next to him. It's the co-founder of a mentoring organization. For some applications this may be appropriate, but it depends on the school.

nutsngum we cannot tell you which schools it will work for. Go to the websites of the schools to which you want to apply and see what type of recommendations they require. If they say professional recommendations, then your classmate/co-founder is not appropriate. If they say at least 1 professional rec and you can choose another person for your second one, then your cofounder becomes a viable option.
GMAT Club Bot