Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:46 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.41
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Re: Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? [#permalink]
ngould wrote:
Ok, I have two questions on this topic.

1. Say I want to get a corporate job (general management, finance, or leadership development program). Is it worth the high tuition costs to go to an elite business school (Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, etc.)? Or would I be better off going to a 25th to 50th ranked program where I could save roughly $80,000 from scholarships?

2. Same question but for 10th-15th ranked schools schools (Duke, Michigan, etc.). Is it worth the money?

If there are varying opinions, I want to hear them.

Thanks

My opinion:

1) I think it's definitely worth it (I think like most other people on this forum, I'm definitely slightly biased as we're all pursuing a top MBA program). It's not just the academics and the name brand of the school (which for business school, it does make a difference, when comparing a top 15 to a top 50-100). The people you meet are a huge part of it as well. So I think if you get into a HSW or even another Top 15, it's definitely worth doing that over a Top 50-100 program, even if you can save lots of money. The only time this gets tricky is if you have a great scholarship at a Top 15-25 vs. a Top 5 school with no money, in my opinion.
But the question also depends on where you are in your career I feel. In my situation, a full-time MBA from a top program makes complete sense, even though I'll need to take on some debt after I graduate.

2) Definitely worth it, just know the subtle differences between each school in the Top 15. When you're deciding where to apply you'll definitely need to do some research and figure out which ones are better for you. All of them will give you the experiences, alumni network, etc. to help you succeed in your career.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Are Elite B-Schools Worth the Money? [#permalink]