Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:01 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:IESE '13
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.07
WE 1: Engineer
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Marketing, Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Schools:University of Chicago, Columbia, Wharton, Stanford, Harvard, Cornell, NYU, Duke, Indiana
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Re: Ask MyMBAAdmit [#permalink]
Please evaluate my profile:

Personal: 25 y/o, white male US resident
Undergrad: Graduated 2008 from midwest state school (MAC Conference). Finance major (minors in Business, Biology, Chemistry). GPA: 3.7 (4.0 major GPA).
WE: 2 years in diversified financial services company (Fortune 100 company) as a financial analyst. In accounting/finance role. Promoted after 1.5 years. Decent accomplishments, but its hard to make a big mark in such a large business (ie, I'm not in a management role nor have I led a project).
ECs: Significant during school including many leadership roles. After school, more limited ECs, but still stayed involved.
GMAT: 710 (Q44, V42) -- if this is an issue, I'm almost positive I can improve this. I did not feel prepared for the test, but still tested about 20-30 points higher on practice tests. If I prepared more I could probably get 750+, but I'd really rather not go through all that.
CE: Passed LII of CFA; will likely pass LIII in June (will know results before applying).
Career goals: PE/HF (BS roles) by way of SS I-banking.
Target schools: Chicago Booth, Columbia ED, NYU Stern, NW Kellogg; seek to matriculate in Fall 2011.

Really not looking to go to any non-target schools at this point -- what are my chances of getting into these target schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
MyMBAAdmit wrote:
seemak wrote:
Following is my profile:

GMAT: 600 (47Q/26V)
TOEFL iBT: 104
Nationality: Indian
Undergrad GPA: 3.63
Graduate GPA: 3.37
Work Ex: 3 Years
Work Ex in: 1 year in audit, 2 years in recruiting

Want to do MBA in Human Resources from USA
Applying to:
CUNY Baruch,Brandeis University, Case Western, Bentley, Rutgers-New Brunswick, UT Dallas, UIUC (aspirational)

Pls suggest schools and give feedback

Hi Seema,
If you are thinking of applying with your current GMAT score, I think your list of schools is good. Additional schools you could consider include Michigan State and Texas A&M, which has a good M.S. in Human Resources management course.

Since this is a long list, here is how I would advise you to split it: 1/2 aspirational schools (besides UIUC, Vanderbilt has a good MBA in HR as well), 2 competitive schools and 2 sure-shot schools.

However, giving the GMAT again would probably strengthen your profile and give you a better shot at higher ranked schools. If you are going to do a MBA, the better school will always provide higher long-term value and I always advise clients to give it their best shot. Although your undergraduate GPA is fine, you also mentioned a graduate GPA. What was your graduate degree in? Having another graduate degree, and the field that it is in, also has a bearing on your candidacy.

You haven't mentioned extracurricular activities/community service, but keep in mind for MBA, especially for a concentration heavy on people leadership such as HR, your soft skills become especially important. Also, I am slightly concerned about your GMAT Verbal score. Effective communication is one of the main tools of a HR representative, and I would pay special attention to presentation in your essays and make sure your recommendation letters mention that your communication skills are strong. This would mitigate the concern that you might have an opportunity in your communication skills.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss how you can position yourself better in your MBA application. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages tailored to your admission needs.
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Send PM
seemak wrote:
MyMBAAdmit wrote:
seemak wrote:
Following is my profile:

Applying to:
CUNY Baruch,Brandeis University, Case Western, Bentley, Rutgers-New Brunswick, UT Dallas, UIUC (aspirational)

Hi Seema,
If you are thinking of applying with your current GMAT score, I think your list of schools is good. Additional schools you could consider include Michigan State and Texas A&M, which has a good M.S. in Human Resources management course.

Since this is a long list, here is how I would advise you to split it: 1/2 aspirational schools (besides UIUC, Vanderbilt has a good MBA in HR as well), 2 competitive schools and 2 sure-shot schools.

However, giving the GMAT again would probably strengthen your profile and give you a better shot at higher ranked schools. If you are going to do a MBA, the better school will always provide higher long-term value and I always advise clients to give it their best shot. Although your undergraduate GPA is fine, you also mentioned a graduate GPA. What was your graduate degree in? Having another graduate degree, and the field that it is in, also has a bearing on your candidacy.

You haven't mentioned extracurricular activities/community service, but keep in mind for MBA, especially for a concentration heavy on people leadership such as HR, your soft skills become especially important. Also, I am slightly concerned about your GMAT Verbal score. Effective communication is one of the main tools of a HR representative, and I would pay special attention to presentation in your essays and make sure your recommendation letters mention that your communication skills are strong. This would mitigate the concern that you might have an opportunity in your communication skills.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss how you can position yourself better in your MBA application. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages tailored to your admission needs.

Hi Seema,

It looks like you replied but I didn't get any text. Feel free to post it again.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages tailored to your admission needs.
Send PM
Kudos
We will be collecting all our profile evaluations and application review responses posted at GMATClub and other forums under the MyMBAAdmit thread to provide a single resource for our readers.

Should I be volunteering? Do AdComs care? Where/when should I volunteer?

Applicant:
So as we all know most schools want, or claim they want, a well-rounded candidate. That just an outstanding GPA and GMAT score will not guarantee admissions. So to maximize the impact of my application I was considering trying to add some volunteer hours.

1. Do admissions officers really care that much about volunteering? If it's at best a distant after-thought or just a way to cement an otherwise admission worthy application package I might not be as tempted to find something.

2. Assuming it is a criterion they truly do covet in a applicant, what exactly are they looking for? Does it have to be business related, ie. fundraising or being on the BOD for a charity, or would big brothers or working in a soup kitchen be acceptable as well? I guess Im asking if, in the eyes of b-schools, all volunteer hours are created equally?

3. I'm applying for Fall 2011 and I will be applying early. Will this leave enough time to get in some good hours without it being obvious to admissions boards that I've only started volunteering at the last minute in order to pad my application?

Any insight, ideas or personal stories regarding this would be a huge help!

My MBA Admit:
Volunteering is yet another way for an applicant to demonstrate the soft skills that AdComs look for - leadership, teamwork, communication, initiative, etc. The additional draw for volunteerism is the same (and slightly more) as doing an extra project at work - the fact that you did something beyond the expected.

AdCom cares about volunteering/community service/extra-curricular activities as something extra that the applicant brings to the table. Besides caring about it for the reasons above, giving back is becoming increasingly popular in the corporate environment, particularly after the events of last year. Hence, applicants who have already demonstrated a volunteering mindset might be better positioned as future business leaders.

All types of volunteering is acceptable, as long as there are strong reasons to pursue it and a good record of involvement, if not impact. Taking on something unrelated at the last minute just for b-school applications is a little, obvious.

Check out our blog for more advice on this subject: https://blog.mymbaadmit.com/2010/01/25/what-if-i-dont-like-community-service-and-want-to-apply-for-a-mba.aspx

From working with clients, I have found that there is always something in the profile that can be positioned as demonstrate community service. It is very rare for anyone to go through their lives without volunteering at all, in one form or another.

Feel free to set up a free initial consultation at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. We specialize in helping clients position themselves for the business program at hand. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages tailored to your application needs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks for replying quickly.

I have applied for the NYU Masters in HRM. is it good??

I got waitlisted at Case Western.

Vanderbilt is too aspirational. I dont think I can apply to that.

Is it better to do MBA in HR or MS in HRM if I want a career in HR.

Im applying to Brandeis, UIUC, UT Dallas, CUNY Baruch and Rutgers.

I would like to know my chances in all these schools.

My profile was uploaded in the earlier posts.
Send PM
Kudos
Moss wrote:
Please evaluate my profile:

Personal: 25 y/o, white male US resident
Undergrad: Graduated 2008 from midwest state school (MAC Conference). Finance major (minors in Business, Biology, Chemistry). GPA: 3.7 (4.0 major GPA).
WE: 2 years in diversified financial services company (Fortune 100 company) as a financial analyst. In accounting/finance role. Promoted after 1.5 years. Decent accomplishments, but its hard to make a big mark in such a large business (ie, I'm not in a management role nor have I led a project).
ECs: Significant during school including many leadership roles. After school, more limited ECs, but still stayed involved.
GMAT: 710 (Q44, V42) -- if this is an issue, I'm almost positive I can improve this. I did not feel prepared for the test, but still tested about 20-30 points higher on practice tests. If I prepared more I could probably get 750+, but I'd really rather not go through all that.
CE: Passed LII of CFA; will likely pass LIII in June (will know results before applying).
Career goals: PE/HF (BS roles) by way of SS I-banking.
Target schools: Chicago Booth, Columbia ED, NYU Stern, NW Kellogg; seek to matriculate in Fall 2011.

Really not looking to go to any non-target schools at this point -- what are my chances of getting into these target schools?

Hi Moss,

Schools look for a combination of academic, professional and extracurricular accomplishments in their applicants.

Academically, I think you are strong. Your GPA is high, and even includes some science (as minors) for diversity. I don't think you need to take the GMAT again. Your score is within the range, and is evenly balanced between Math and Verbal. So don't worry on that front :) The CFA certifications will be another advantage.

Professionally, the brand name of the Fortune 100 employer will help, but it's more about individual contributions than company name. I understand that it is difficult to make a large impact at a big company but smaller projects that you led, or that you had a significant impact on, will still make good examples if positioned well. With respect to your IB/PE career goals, examples that show you could handle complex analysis with a diverse group are preferable (this will help you with employer interviews as well).

For extracurricular activities, I would need to know the specifics before advising you on what aspects to focus on in your essays, but if you have remained involved, that's a good starting point.

Overall, I would rate your chances as good at all of these schools, although being a traditional candidate might make it too easy to categorize you. At My MBA Admit, you will have the chance to work with a personal consultant during your one-on-one sessions to refine your presentation in your essays, resume, letters and even data forms. We will work with you to conduct an extensive analysis of your experiences and choose the strongest examples that best demonstrate the applicable skills tailored to each program. Considering your career ambitions, we would also advise you to add Wharton as a potential program due to its position as one of the traditional feeder schools for IB.

Feel free to drop us an email at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. Depending on the stage of your application process, we offer both Volume Discounts and Application Packages to best meet your application needs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
seemak wrote:
MyMBAAdmit wrote:
seemak wrote:
Following is my profile:

Applying to:

Hi Seema,

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Is nt Vanderbilt in Top 30 schools? I cannot apply to that. Also, is MBA better or MS in HRM for my career.

What are my chances in CUNY Baruch, Brandeis and Rutgers??

I have taken GMAt twice. I felt really bad that I cudnt do better. Bt I dont think it makes sense taking it again as in my home tests I din score more than 630 640. I dont wana go thru all that again. So thought of gng ahead with my current score...

I have applied t NYU SCPS for MS in HRM, Is it a good course?? Worth it??

I had applied to Michigan State for MBA but got a reject.
Send PM
Kudos
seemak wrote:
seemak wrote:
MyMBAAdmit wrote:
Following is my profile:

Applying to:

Hi Seema,

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Isn't Vanderbilt in Top 30 schools? I cannot apply to that.
I had listed that as an additional option for an aspirational school, along with your previous list that included UIUC.

Also, is MBA better or MS in HRM for my career.
MS is more specialized than MBA. MBA gives you broader recognition. Unless you are certain that HR is the only thing you will ever do, I would do an MBA for wider employer appeal.

What are my chances in CUNY Baruch, Brandeis and Rutgers??
I would rate them as good. However, the final decision depends on your application presentation - from our admissions experience, we have seen average candidates with great stories make better applicants than great candidates with average essays/resume/letters. This is the part we specialize in - creating a package to showcase you in the best possible light for admission.

I have taken GMAT twice. I felt really bad that I cudnt do better. Bt I dont think it makes sense taking it again as in my home tests I din score more than 630 640. I dont wana go thru all that again. So thought of going ahead with my current score...

Got it. I wanted to make sure you had considered the option, and its implications.

I have applied to NYU SCPS for MS in HRM, Is it a good course?? Worth it??
See above for comments on MS vs. MBA. Before pursuing it further, I would advise you to check with them on post-grad recruiting opportunities, as well as whether they allow international students (as I assume you will be).

I had applied to Michigan State for MBA but got a reject.
I am sorry to hear that. A good strategy before applying often makes the difference in an admission outcome. We conduct Ding Analysis for candidates where we review all application materials for weaknesses, and make specific suggestions for future improvement. This is a very cost-effective consultation. Since you plan on applying to multiple programs and are highly motivated to start your degree, I would recommend a Ding Analysis. If you are putting in the effort, it's worth it to know if you have been doing it right.

Drop us an email at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to know more about our services. We offer a complete suite of admission packages to ensure our clients are well-positioned for their target programs. Check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages to learn more.
Send PM
Kudos
We will be collecting all our profile evaluations and application review responses posted at GMATClub and other forums under the MyMBAAdmit thread to provide a single resource for our readers.

Applicant with 3.5 years of work experience and an engineering background requests a profile evaluation for post-MBA consulting ambitions.

Applicant:

Profile:
3.5 years of work experience to date.
Mechanical engineer, from University of Pune ( Army Institute of Technology).
Graduated in 2006 with 55% i.e. higher second class.
Worked in a Japanese MNC for a year in the sales profile handling a part of Bombay, before switching to Saint Gobain where I worked for 18 months, where I was handling One-third of Maharashtra. Then joined a startup, which consumer products for Air conditioning and have been heading their All India Sales team. My experience throughout has been in the manufacturing sector.

I plan to apply for the Fall 2011 session . If you would be kind enough, can you please evaluate my Profile.

I want to pursue MBA as an academic program for two purposes

a) it would act as a career accelerator
b) for a career switch from Sales/Marketing role to a management consultant.

My target schools would be :
1) Cornell
2) IESE
3) Yale
4) CMU - tepper
5) USC - Marshall

I would like thank you in advance for kind gesture of being my mentor.

My MBA Admit:
Of course- happy to help.

Academically, it is hard to assess your profile without the GPA and GMAT. If you include that, I would be able assess your profile in greater detail.

Professionally, can you show progression, leadership, teamwork, etc. in your examples? Since you worked for an MNC, international exposure could be another aspect to focus on. 3.5 years of work experience puts you in the range of an average MBA applicant. To set yourself apart, focus on what makes you unique.

Would you be able to demonstrate any EC activities? Especially as a future management consultant where you will be exposed to many different industries, showing diverse interests through your activities will be helpful.

Your list of schools is good, with IESE and Yale being the most aspirational. To increase the chances of your admission, I would advise you to tailor your application/skill sets to each school, and demonstrate strong academic potential as well as extracurricular interests.

At My MBA Admit, you will have the chance to work with a personal consultant during your one-on-one sessions to refine your presentation in your essays, resume, letters and even data forms. We will work with you to conduct an extensive analysis of your experiences and choose the strongest examples that best demonstrate the applicable skills tailored to each program. Considering your career ambitions, we would also advise you to add additional schools when you have your GMAT score in hand.

Feel free to drop us an email at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. Depending on the stage of your application process, we offer both Volume Discounts and Application Packages to best meet your application needs.
Send PM
Kudos

Older applicant with 710 GMAT, Master's degree, strong professional experiences and extracurricular activities seeks to enter 1-year business school programs to progress to the C-level.

Applicant:
Here is my profile, would like to seek your advice if the Business Schools that I am targeting are doable for me. Appreciate in advance.

Country of Residence: Permanent Resident of United States, in the US for the past 11yrs.
GMAT: 710 (V36 Q49 AWA 5.5)
Education:
Masters of Science in Electrical Engineering, MSEE - Class of 2001 - Top 50 University in USA
Bachelors of Engineering, BE - Bangalore, India.

Work Experience
• I am currently in the role of 'Project Manager' with the ‘Research & Development Software Division’ of ‘Broadcast Communication’ Business Unit of a Fortune 500 Company. I lead a team of 18 members, encompassing Sr. Engineers and Architects.

• As a Core Member of R&D Product Development Initiative in the department, for which a very little percentage of employees across the Division were handpicked, I am Sr.Engineer acting in the capacity of Project Manager. My core responsibility is to derive clear business requirements and bridge the gap between the business team and design team to help facilitate the development team to focus on core tasks.

• I report to the Vice-President of the Division and report on Cost/Time/Scope parameters of the Project.

• I have joined the company 7yrs ago as a Mid-Level Engineer and subsequently got promoted to Sr.Engineer then to Project Lead and currently as a Project Manager I overlooking 2 Enterprise Level Products targeted for Advanced Advertising market for the next generation Advertising using Mobile apps, Digital Signage, Advanced Data Modeling and Pattern Recognition, the products are projected to earn $20million in the first yr. of their entry in the market.
Our, client for these deployments is primary Google along with many other Major Television Network Providers and potential for other multi-million dollar deals with private Network Providers. The model is based for US and European Market currently with possibility to address Asian market segment very soon.

• In the past I have worked on projects requiring effort on streamlining the cross-product development requirements for seamless integration. Work directly with teams in UK, Hungary and USA to meet above defined targets. Estimated revenue in the order of 5million $+ over various cross-product functionality offered to clients.

• I have been awarded 'Excellence Award' twice in my current organization for Leadership Work and delivering Projects as projected in line with the quarterly revenue targeted .

• I have traveled extensively within the United States and to Australia, Malaysia, Singapore, Hungary, UK, UAE, Canada and India on work. And to France, Germany, Holland, Sri Lanka for pleasure.

Certifications and Publications:

• I am a Certified PMP- Certified Project Management Professional attested by the Project Management Institute.
• I am a Certified Scrum-Master (Scrum Methodology is a Process Framework practice used for Project Management).
• I am a Six-Sigma Green-Belt Certificate Holder, attested to have implemented Six-Sigma framework to deploy Project.
• I am a Certified MCSD - Microsoft Certified Solution Developer, encompassing 5 technical Certificates.

• I have co-authored a Pending Patent for 'Content-Synchronization Algorithm' - involved in design and solely
implemented the same. (Currently, deployed at Client Site)
• I am currently co-authoring a 2nd Patent which we will be applying soon for Advanced Algorithm for Plotting Engine.

Activities - Outside Profession:
• CAHEP Member (Colorado Asian Health Education & Promotion) - volunteer and help conduct free health fair for the under privileged.
• Conducted several Health program initiatives in India for the needy and poor.
• Founded a group 'Get Employed' program during under-grad, which was responsible for marketing and convincing Employers to visit Campus for college recruitment. The on-campus recruitment jumped from 10students/yr to 40students/yr as a consequence as a direct effort of more than 10companies visits to the campus for recruitment.
• Worked as a Graduate Assistant for the Vice-President of Admissions office during graduate School.
• Prior General-Secretary for Indian Student Association at graduate School.

Career Interests After MBA:
• Having clear defined career goals geared towards Technical Management and Research and Development initiatives, I want to leverage MBA to move to the next level of Management towards A Director / Vice-President Position.
• Economic and Financial level detail along with Strategy techniques and skill set required to start a project
initiative has always attracted me., I don't have formal experience in that area per say, and with an MBA I would certainly want to cover gaps and have a clear Big Picture scenario of the same.
• I come from a very strong Technical Background and process adequate General Management experience, this coupled with a MBA focusing towards Strategy with make my transition easy and I am ready to take the next career jump.
• Long term plans are also to start my own initiative for which also the MBA will help build the necessary social circle along with the necessary skill set and a balanced resume( reflecting Technical/Business acumen) that would attract the much needed Venture Capitalists. :)
• Long term plans could also be of the nature of Consulting, where the adequate experience and skill set would help leverage an easy transition.

Schools Targeting:

Primary Target:
INSEAD - 1yr MBA
Cornell - 1yr MBA

Secondary Target in the order of priority:
MIT - Sloan - Full Time MBA
Stanford - Full Time MBA
Haas - Full Time MBA
UCLA - Full Time MBA
Tepper - Full-time MBA
Univ. Of Texas Austin - Full-time MBA

My MBA Admit:
I like to break profile evaluations into three aspects:

Academic, Professional and Extra-Curricular.

Academically, your GMAT is fine. Although not included, I am assuming your GPA for both previous degrees would be acceptable too.

For extra-curricular activities, your activities seem to be a few years old since they were undertaken during your undergrad and grad degrees. If you have something more recent for which you made a significant impact, I would advise you to include it.

Professionally, you have significant experience and show clear progression. Since your essays will have a limited word count, pick the examples that contain the most relevant experiences and attributes for your career ambitions. This would require you to show one clear career ambition versus the multiple options provided below.

In summary, you have a strong profile on all the three aspects listed above for your target schools. Your challenge will be to show a clear path from your many past accomplishments to your specific future career goals, and how the particular school you are applying to fits into your plans.

Email us at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to discuss your application further. Learn more about our Volume Discounts and Application Packages here!
Send PM
Kudos

Strong academic credentials and extracurricular activities, and relevant, but short, work experience. Chances at top MBA programs for nonprofit?

Applicant:
GMAT: Projected 700
Undergrad GPA: 3.67/4.0 - Not a very prestigious program, large pseudo-state-school.
Graduate GPA (Projected): 3.6/4.0 - From an Ivy. Master's degree in public health.

Work experience:
Total 3 years of work experience upon beginning an MBA.
4 months overseas NGO work.
8 months in project management for a small start-up medical device co (left to go to grad school).
24 months in healthcare (projected) - managing clinical trials. (While attending my master's program part-time).

Extracurricular activities:
Awards: Phi Beta Kappa, Startingbloc fellow (startingbloc [dot] org)

Volunteer: LOTS of Undergrad stuff. Headed undergrad Amnesty chapter. Worked with migrant farm workers providing health care. Volunteered in an ER doing menial tasks (eg patient transport). More recently: Headed the Philadelphia StartingBloc alum chapter.

Other: Published in medical journal. Hopefully it will be 2 publications by the time of application.

Career Aspirations:
International Healthcare NGO. Basically working to provide HC services in resource-poor areas. Think partners in health. pih [dot] org

Target Schools:
Yale, given its nonprofit focus and strength in healthcare.
Not averse to a one-year oxford or cambridge either.
But really any top 10/15 US school would make me happy (or Ox, Camb, LBS). I'll probably apply to Columbia's early decision, and if that doesn't work out, round 2 at 4 or 5 other schools.

Advice? Is this reasonable? Should I be setting my sights higher/lower? Work for a 4th year? Does the Master's help much? My non-traditional career focus? Thanks!

My MBA Admit:

Academically, I would rate you as High. A GPA above 3.5 in both your undergraduate and Master's degree is a strength, as is the more advanced Master's degree from an Ivy League. If you score a 700 on GMAT as well, you can put away the academic section, and work on the professional experience and personal sections of the application.

From a professional perspective, I like that you have relevant experience for your post-MBA career goals, but I am concerned that I see relatively little full-time experience. Generally, full-time work experience strengthens your competitiveness with your peer group but you do have the mitigating factor of not being a real career switcher, and continuing work in the same field as before MBA. I would like to better understand your reasons for pursuing an MBA immediately after your Master's degree to give you more targeted advice for your goals.

Extracurricular activities are always helpful, and more so when they show a common trend. In your case, they do. One of the things we specialize in is doing a holistic evaluation of our clients' stories/experiences. We pick the ones that are the strongest and position them to demonstrate the attributes we know the specific program, such as Yale, is looking for. Yours sound varied and interesting, and I would love to know more.

On schools, I do think Yale is a strong choice. Other top schools in nonprofit are Stanford, Northwestern, Columbia and Haas. Schools below top 10 that come to mind are Duke, Ross (Univ of Mich) and Tepper (CMU). Your strategy of applying for ED at Columbia and later rounds at other schools is workable, but again, I would reiterate understanding why an MBA immediately after a Master's degree instead of 1-2 years of work instead, and if you still choose to apply, tailoring your positioning to each program school, including your limited experience.

We have helped candidates work on a variety of opportunities in their applications, including limited work experience, low GPA or GMAT scores, and gaps in work history. Our successes also include older applicants, joint degree candidates, reapplicants and waitlisted candidates.

Feel free to send us an email at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to further discuss your application. Learn more about our affordableVolume Discounts and Application Packages!
Send PM
Kudos

Am I too young for an MBA?

Applicant:
I have a good GPA (3.65 cum, 3.85 major) but only at the so-so school of UC Davis. I'm 22 now, soon to be 23. Is my age going to bring down my application at top 15 schools? I've been reading that average ages are trending downward, but not as low as 23. I'll be focusing on marketing.

My MBA Admit:
As a MBA student at University of Chicago, I had classmates with an age range of 21-45, with an average age of 27. The youngest member had entered the MBA program directly after her undergraduate degree, and still obtained a choice job after graduation.

Age is a factor in MBA admissions, but not necessarily one of the largest ones. We have already established that you have a strong GPA. Other aspects that you should focus on to ensure a strong application are quality of your essays, clear career goals, and the reasons why you are applying to a MBA program now, versus two years later. Although your age/fewer years of work experience might be seen as a gap, essays/letters of recommendation that clearly establish that you have the career need (through essays) and capabilities (through letters) to be a part of the incoming MBA class would help to mitigate it.

Thinking about this would be a good exercise for your overall MBA application as well, and help you clearly evaluate the reasons for yourself on why you are applying for a MBA this year.

Drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com to learn more. Learn about our Volume Discounts and Applications Packages.
Send PM
Kudos

Indian applicant with 5 years work experience, engineering undergraduate degree and expected 700-760 GMAT seeks to understand impact of being non-IIT, having a 8.1 CGPA and not enough activities.

Applicant:
W/E:5 years [at time of joining]. Work for a Multinational Fortune 500 company. 4 applause awards from my superiors and a promotion from associate Engineer to Engineer in 3 years. Organized events at office. No international exposure.
GMAT:Yet to take [expect 700-760]
Extracurricular:organized trekking,group tours,conducted events in college.

CGPA:8.1/10 .First class with Distinction from Madras Institute of technology,Anna University.

The school and university are highly rated in India but come below the IITs[Indian Institute of Technology].but it comes within top 10 in country considering there are 6-7 IITS.

I am trying to apply to Elite schools like haas,ross,darden,carnegie melon,cornell,tuck etc.

Do you think it will hamper my application since I haven't got 9/10 or I didn't come from IIT?

I will be competing against large number of similar applicants and that too from India alone. Will that affect my chances?

What kind of extracurriculars do you suggest that would improve my chances? I am think of working in missionary school for couple of weeks. Should I mention that in resume as well?

My MBA Admit:
An MBA application is evaluated through multiple perspectives - academic history, professional experience and extracurricular activities.

In your case, you are within the range in terms of number of years of professional experience. Although the brand name of your company will definitely help, it will be more useful to show how you created impact in your position. In your case, the promotions and awards seem proof of that, and will need to be adequately described to ensure the AdCom is aware of their importance.

You seem to have some extracurricular activities too, but in college. If you showed more recent ones where you can demonstrate impact, it would help to distinguish your profile better, especially since you belong to a subgroup that is common at MBA programs, i.e. an engineer from India. Although working in a missionary school is a good idea, two weeks is too short to demonstrate sustained impact. I am sure you have other activities, even at work, that could help with this section. This is a great place to be different than others with the same demographic profile, and I would highly recommend that you give enough thought to it. We can set up a consultation to discuss your particular situation in further detail and brainstorm positioning relevant activities.

Moving on to your main question on academic history, I don't believe that not graduating from IIT will hamper your chances. Your GPA is sufficient as well, considering that it is one of multiple components being assessed for your admission. If there are any doubts about your academic potential, a high GMAT will help mitigate them. From my experience with helping with MBA admissions, I don't think you need to worry on the academic front.

MBA programs look for a well-rounded candidate, which includes strong professional experience, varied activities, a good academic history, as well as the ability to communicate all of that in the application and the interview. Compared to Indian programs, there is a lot more emphasis on soft skills and community involvement.

One of the best ways to set yourself apart, especially in this subgroup, are to demonstrate strong communication skills. From my experience with admissions, Indian engineers frequently show exemplary quantitative skills, but falter in their written and verbal communication. To ensure that you are not one of those, we can help you develop powerful essays tailored to the program and an excellent resume that showcases your achievements. I just received word that one of my clients got into her program and according to her, it was our interview practice that cinched the deal: "I got an email yesterday that they are offering me a spot! Thanks again for all your help with interviews. It really paid off :)."

Focus on developing strong essays, obtaining relevant letters of recommendation, having a polished resume, and ensuring you can perform well in the interview. At My MBA Admit, we don't just help our clients with preparing a strong application package, but tutor them in interview practice, business communication and career counseling as well.

To learn more about how we can help, check out our Volume Discounts and Application packages or drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com.
Send PM
Kudos

25-year old Chinese American with exemplary professional achievements and extracurricular activities but lower GMAT/undergraduate GPA at engineering program assesses chances at HBS and Wharton.

Applicant:
Nat'l: Chinese American
Sex: Male

Education: BS Mechanical Engineering - Penn State University, 3.34/4.00 GPA

GMAT: 660 - taking again May 2010, hoping to get a bit higher after 2 month study plan.

Extra Curriculars In School
1) Elected Officer of Engineering Undergraduate Council - 2 years
2) Committee volunteer of the Penn State Dance Marathon - 4 years
3) Led a team to achieve Best Engineered Design award by peoples choice for a Siemens Building Technologies design competition (10 team competition at final stage, boiled down from 30 teams). - 1 year
4) Participated and gained certification in the Professional Development Program - 1 year

Work Experience
General Electric Company:
Operations Management Leadership Program - GE (2 years)
Gained experience across 4 locations around the US within a GE Supply Chain and Services business.

Lean Operations Specialist for GE Aviation's new manufacturing facility in China. (since July 2009, current job)
Selected for the global assignment where I am "wearing multiple hats".

**Overall, I am taking on the tough international assignment and delivering consistent results through team work, project leadership, and personal dedication to help the business succeed. I expect to be rated in the top 20% of my pay band across the entire business - either way I think I have a bright future here, I don't NEED HBS/Penn to progress in my current situation. I do however think I bring a lot of value to an HBS case study environment, or a Penn general management class environment and will benefit even more from collaborating with the caliber of people at these schools**

Extra Curricular Post Grad
Note: I have not been in the same physical location for more than 6 months but have been involved in every place as much as possible. Hence the lack of progressive roles within the same group.
1) Elementary School Math Tutor - 6 months
2) Junior Achievement Tutor - 3 months
3) Executive Committee Member at GE, March of Dimes, March for Babies, lead marketing campaign to grow internal donations, team exceeded previous years total during 2009 recession - 4 months.
4) Multiple United Way / GE Volunteers events, 4 events total over 2 years (participant/volunteer).
5) Volunteer English tutor - China - 3 months
6) Currently taking formal lessons to learn Chinese Mandarin to an intermediate level.

Personal Interests:
Really enjoying reading now (didn't use to like it at a young age)
golf, healhy foods, general fitness, socializing on weekends, sports fanatic, traveling and learning different cultures.

My main question is do I even stand a chance at a Top 5? I have little ability to build an alternate transcript given my location. And I will strive to go 700+ on the GMAT but if I don't, should I let that stop me from applying? Please realize that applying with confidence will be important as I believe I may lose momentum in my career here by asking to return to school full time - hence I don't want to apply unless I have solid confidence. Maybe it helps that I'm Chinese American coming from a manufacturing / operations environment? Most Asians applicants come from banking & IT yes?

One more thing... I believe I want to stay in the general management / operations track but am also interested in testing the waters on the turnaround/restructuring side of Private equity in the long term. I can bring a lot of value to a PE group with a portfolio of companies that they want to improve operationally then sell as I gain more experience. Maybe a McKinsey for a few years to get ready??

Let me know what you think about my chances for HBS and Penn application for FA2011 entry (2010 application)?

Thanks so much,
hbs hopeful

My MBA Admit:
Hi JWThbs,

Let's assess your profile from three perspectives - academic, professional and personal.

Professionally, it sounds like you are doing well. Being part of a selective leadership program, positive comments from your bosses, quantifiable achievements and multiple examples of leadership and teamwork demonstrate a strong career, and will help convince the AdCom of your ability to continue performing well in other professional opportunities during your summer internship and after MBA.

From an extracurricular perspective, it helps that you can show a consistent pattern of involvement since undergrad. It speaks well of you to have stayed involved in varied activities, although you have relocated multiple times.

All MBA programs, especially top schools, look for academic history for two reasons - one, whether you can keep up with your classmates, both in the classroom and during job interviews. Two, for a more immediate assessment of how you stack up against others being admitted to the same class. Considering the common range at HBS and Wharton for GMAT and GPA, yours is a little on the low side.

You have several ways to mitigate this:
One, from a transcript assessment, it sounds like you only performed poorly in one semester where you were overloaded on classes, and even with that, you only scored one C. You can explain the circumstances surrounding this one semester in your optional essay and mention other instances, such as at work, where you have had the opportunity to strengthen your quantitative skills. To take it a step further, you can also proactively enroll in calculus/statistics classes online or at a local community college - this will not only help convince the AdCom of your ability to take responsibility and make efforts to improve, but will also help you to keep up in your first semester.
Two, completing a degree in 4 years when it takes others 4.5 is a definite positive. Use this factor, as well as your AP classes, as further proof of your academic abilities.
Three, how does your cumulative GPA compare to your major GPA, your senior GPA, or without that one bad semester GPA? My guess is it will be higher, and if so, it's further proof that you do have strong academic abilities.
Four, I would definitely recommend taking the GMAT again, especially for your target programs and since you have plenty of time. Prepare wisely by giving special focus to areas that were your weakness the first time. If you like, I can recommend inexpensive online classes from our partners that have been proven to help GMAT scores.

With regard to your soft skills, use both your professional and extracurricular activities to demonstrate that you do have the necessary personal attributes to be a strong fit. Good recommendation letters will also provide a valuable third-party perspective And you are right, your ethnic diversity, especially in manufacturing, and being a young achiever will be other factors in your favor, especially at HBS that likes younger applicants.

In summary, I think your age, community involvement, diversity and professional achievements will help improve your chances at HBS and Wharton. Use the time till you apply to work on my recommendations above to ensure that your academic history does not hamper your application either.

Feel free to drop us a line at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com once you are done with the GMAT. At My MBA Admit, we help you develop a complete application that doesn't just include strong essays, relevant letters of recommendation, and a polished resume, but interview practice, business communication and career counseling as well.

I have personally worked with applicants who have a similar profile to yours. To learn more about how we can help, check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi,

I want to apply to B-schools this fall, and my first choice is Stanford. I'm also looking at Kellogg, Ross, Duke, and Berkeley. I'm trying to stay away from schools that exclusively use case-based or team project classes. I'd prefer some mix of those along with lecture and individual or experiential teaching methods. Could you give me an idea of my chances at those schools?

Demographic: White male
Undergrad: UVA, degree in Finance and IT from McIntire
GPA: 3.8 (major and overall)
GMAT: 740

Work experience: 2 years at a Fortune 100 company, plus an additional year of internship and work study during my last year of undergrad. Highlights: 1 of 6 selected for accelerated associate program; designed and implemented a business intelligence tool used throughout my department; lead my team in implementing a new corporate database for our reporting.

Extracurricular: 8 years competitive powerlifting - I was a founding member of the powerlifting club at UVA and now coach powerlifting for the Special Olympics team in Northern Virginia (10-15 hours/month volunteer).

Career goals: Enter the health care/health & fitness industry. I struggled with an eating disorder when I was younger and in recovering from that I developed a passion for health, nutrition, and fitness, which I feel will be one of the fastest growing sectors in the next few years.

Thanks for your time!
Send PM
Kudos
brp4h wrote:
Hi,

I want to apply to B-schools this fall, and my first choice is Stanford. I'm also looking at Kellogg, Ross, Duke, and Berkeley. I'm trying to stay away from schools that exclusively use case-based or team project classes. I'd prefer some mix of those along with lecture and individual or experiential teaching methods. Could you give me an idea of my chances at those schools?

Demographic: White male
Undergrad: UVA, degree in Finance and IT from McIntire
GPA: 3.8 (major and overall)
GMAT: 740

Work experience: 2 years at a Fortune 100 company, plus an additional year of internship and work study during my last year of undergrad. Highlights: 1 of 6 selected for accelerated associate program; designed and implemented a business intelligence tool used throughout my department; lead my team in implementing a new corporate database for our reporting.

Extracurricular: 8 years competitive powerlifting - I was a founding member of the powerlifting club at UVA and now coach powerlifting for the Special Olympics team in Northern Virginia (10-15 hours/month volunteer).

Career goals: Enter the health care/health & fitness industry. I struggled with an eating disorder when I was younger and in recovering from that I developed a passion for health, nutrition, and fitness, which I feel will be one of the fastest growing sectors in the next few years.

Thanks for your time!

Hi brp,

Let's look at your profile from three perspectives: Academic, Personal and Professional.

Academically, you have nothing to worry about. You have a high GPA from a well-known program in a business-related field, as well as a high GMAT. Good job!

Professionally, it sounds like you are progressing well, with a good number of quantifiable achievements to your credit. Since your degree and job both sound very numbers-focused, I would be careful to emphasize that you do have a healthy amount of soft skills to be a good team player and leader as well (both important attributes at Stanford).

If you are looking at the healthcare industry, Stanford does sound like a good fit and I would agree with keeping it at the top. If you are looking for a mix of case and lecture-based classes, consider Chicago Booth. It offers that, plus strong connections to healthcare.

In terms of personal activities, weightlifting is certainly unique! I like that you coach for it as well, which shows your involvement and impact on the sport at multiple levels.

Overall, I think you have a strong profile on paper for a top MBA program. Focus on bringing out your uniqueness and personal experiences through rich essays and a well-rounded resume.

Drop us an email at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com when you are ready to start working on your applications, or check out our Volume Discounts and Application Packages. It would be a delight to bring out those stories of beating a disorder and excelling in weightlifting!
Send PM
Kudos

Older female applicant with an IT background assesses chances at top US business schools.

Applicant:
W/E: 10 years [currently]
GMAT:Yet to take
Sex : Female

I did my bachelors degree (3 years degree program) from India. After getting rejected from few b-schools, realized that my 3 years degree is going to be hindrance in pursuing masters degree. So I decided to get a bachelors degree from US. Finally, attended school, where I got credit for my first bachelors degree and finished the bachelors degree from US. I graduated in Dec. 2009 with honors and earned a GPA of 3.97. Also, got the Distinguished Achievement Award from my university. Dont know if this award can be of any added advantage in my profile.

Coming to my work experience, I belong to the huge IT pool, I worked in one of the top 5 software companies in India for 4 years and working in US from last 6 years. Currently, I am working as Senior Business Analyst on a project and also got appointed as Project Manager in my company two years ago. As PM, I lead a group of four team members. I have got few appreciation letters from my clients and also got the best employee award from my company three years ago.

My plan is to take GMAT in next few months and apply to some of the best schools for the class starting in 2011. Do you think I have any chance getting in any of the best schools in US?

My MBA Admit:

First, you are a little older than the average full-time MBA candidate. The average age at most top programs is around 27. Besides affecting your chances for admission, what this means from a more practical perspective, is that much of the curriculum and many of the employment opportunities are targeted to candidates with fewer years of work experience. This is not so at executive programs, for both the academic and professional opportunities, and hence it is possible that you might be a better fit there.

However, that is not to say that you cannot get into a full-time MBA program at one of the top 10 schools. As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, the age range of my own MBA class was 21-42! When you are a bit of an outlier as an applicant, it becomes more necessary to have strong reasons on why it makes sense for you to seek an MBA at this point, when you are possibly more senior at the workplace than your classmates.

There are many schools that do accept 3-year undergraduate degree programs, just as there are those that don't. If you have gotten rejections, I would refrain from quickly ascribing it to having a three-year degree. I like that you took the initiative to get another Bachelor's degree and attained academic honors. Although it will certainly help your case to have an undergraduate degree that can be quickly categorized at a US business school, I might have advised you to complete a one-year Master's degree instead. It would have resolved the issue of 16 years of academic experience, and garnered you an additional Master's degree.

Your work experience in IT will not set you apart by itself, since Indians with an IT background are a common demographic. Rather, the personality, achievements and unique experiences that you bring out through your application will be much more useful.

In summary, your application chances at one of the top full-time programs are slightly hampered by your age and IT background. However, being a woman with a potentially high GMAT score, strong essays and recommendations, and connecting with your interviewer can do much to raise your chances. For now, focus on the GMAT. When the time comes, apply to a mix of schools to be on the safe side.

If you would like to learn more on how we can help, drop us an email at mbaconsult@mymbaadmit.com or find about our Application Packages and Volume Discounts that will help position you in the best way for your target business schools.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6