Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Submit Profile Evalutions [#permalink]
SkyMann wrote:
Hi kevintay,

From what you have listed about your resume, you certainly have the pieces in place to stand out as an applicant to the schools mentioned. Military experience is looked upon favorably for its structured leadership opportunities. You have been recognized for excelling in your area of work. Your GMAT score is strong. You have a very realistic and detailed career path post-MBA. As long as you were able to use an essay to explain to each school why it was THE school that could best suit your career ambitions, you have good prospects at admission. Your essays will have had to back up your great achievements heretofore.

Best of luck,

Hi Schuyler,

Thanks for your kind evaluation!

I'm just wondering if there may be any areas of weakness or concern that the adcom may like me to address, either through the essays or during the interviews (if i'm invited)?

On the essays, I did not really colour them with my achievements. I adopted an introspective approach to the essays, elaborating on my aspirations, insights, beliefs, philosophy, etc. I had included only a couple of incidents at work or community service, but more to support my beliefs rather than to sell my achievements. I thought the achievements should be apparent from information provided in the online application form, transcipts, or resume. Therefore I did not repeat them in the essays. Is this an acceptable approach or should I change my essays?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kevintay,

You are on the right track with your essays and sorry for the confusion I may have caused by my wording. The intent of my last sentence was not to say that the essays should specifically address achievements already highlighted in your resume (although you could). Instead, I was saying, you have the right numbers and stats in place, and will have to supplement the data in your application with compelling essays that prove you are more than a high GMAT score or good worker. Show you are a unique and driven individual who the school will proudly attach its name to.

Good luck,
Current Student
Send PM
Hi Schuyler,

Thanks a million for your clarifications!

I have submitted my application and would be keeping my fingers crossed. In the meantime, I should just enjoy myself in this whole application process!

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Brett/Schuyler-

I was hoping you could take a look at my profile and give some advice on the type of schools to which I should apply and if a top 5 is a realistic goal:

Nationality: US Caucasian
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Major: Civil Engineering, top 10 engineering program for schools that don't have a PHD program
GMAT: 710 Q:47 V:40 AWA: 5.5 - took 3 times unfortunately (1st-650 2nd-660)
Work Experience: 2 years in construction management when applying (however spent most of my life around construction)
ECs:
Improv Comedy- started local troupe
Condominium association member
Looking to get involved in more community service
Leadership positions in college
Other Notes:
Future goal is to run a family owned construction company

Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi mmurnane,

I'm not sure if there are any MBA programs that somehow cater to, or incorporate engineering curriculum or favor engineering backgrounds. That said, perhaps a business school with an entrepreneurial atmosphere would suit you well since you plan to operate your own business. Some good entrepreneurship programs in your profile range include USC - Marshall, U Washington - Foster, and U Michigan - Ross. These would be good reach schools, but there are many other safer bets with strong entrepreneurial programs.

Your decision should of course take other things into account such as location and cost. Consider where you want to start your future business. It would be a good idea to go to a school in that area to begin building your network.

Will you be applying for Fall 2010?\

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Brett/Schuyler

Hi could you advice please as to which MBA is best for an IT guy with 6.5 years of experience and what colleges are best for that.
I personally am interested in Sales & Marketing, so which college are best for it as well.

Many Thanks
Anil
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Schulyer-

Appreciate the information. Yes I will be applying in fall 2010, but mostly looking at schools in the Northeast as that is where I would be operating.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Hi,

Just finished GMAT recently, scored 680 (Q 48, V35). I'm based in London and would like to pursue full-time MBA preferrably from the UK. Aim to apply in a course starting in fall 2010.

Please help me evaluate my chance for London Business School, Oxford and Cambridge. In addition, any hints on areas that I should focus in my applications would be highly appreciated.

Executive summary of my profile:
o 11 years of full-time experience in IT with last 7 years in programme management in Nokia (formerly Symbian Ltd)
o International work experience in the UK for last 6.5 years and 4.5 years in India
o Successfully managed IT programmes of upto $6M budget and around 60-90 members involved in a
highly distributed manner
o Executive programme reporting to senior stakeholders (directors) and extensively worked with external customers
o Line management experience. Had responsibility of a 20 member team
o Bachelor of Engineering in Instrumentation & Control, Gujarat University, India, 1999. Secured
third rank in the academics
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Supply Management
Schools:Kelley
Send PM
Reposting from main thread, I am assuming this is where people post to receive a response -

Please evaluate my profile and do let me know your opinion:

GMAT: 1 attempt, 680, Q 46, V 38, AWA 5.5.
Employment: 16+ years in IS. Working for a prominent Fortune 100 company for past 3+ years.
Ethincity: South Asian (Indian American).
Highlights: Founded a technology company some years ago, managed to sell services to, and sign contracts with Forbes and few other smaller companies. Came away with some solid experience working with freelancers, dealing with attorneys, accountants, marketing consultants etc.
Other Relevant Stats: Male, 38, US Citizen.
Financials: Employer will pay 100% tuition.

Now the questions =>
1. Do I have a good shot at Kellogg’s Saturday MBA?
2. Do I have a fair shot at Booth part-time MBA?
3. I am considering doing MIS from University of Illinois at Chicago as back up. I think I can get admission into other schools for MBA (Tippie at Iowa, or Western Illinois, or online from University of Wisconsin). Between the UIC MIS and the mid-range MBA, which ones better?
We have so many MBAs from sundry schools at my workplace - that if I threw a rock, it would bounce off a few MBAs. I am really in a bind on this one.
4. I may be able to improve my scores by 20-30 points if I give GMAT again. Will it add value?

Conflicted and confused, I would sincerely appreciate your viewpoint.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Concentration: MBA Application Consultant
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
chauhan2011 wrote:
Brett/Schuyler

Hi could you advice please as to which MBA is best for an IT guy with 6.5 years of experience and what colleges are best for that.
I personally am interested in Sales & Marketing, so which college are best for it as well.

Many Thanks
Anil

Hi Anil,

We will need more information on your profile to answer your question accurately. Feel free to submit your profile online here if you're not sure what information you need to give.

Thanks,

- Brett
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Ask Ivy App Success (submit your profiles for evaluation) [#permalink]
Hi BrettN.

I have mailed you my resume. Have recently send it to business school for my visit.
It is two page which is long for a resume but didnt knew what to cut short to make it one page.

Please give my opinion about it.

Consider i will get 720 in GMAT and solid recommendation.
Will also be adding more qualifications/certification and extra auricular by the time i apply in this October.

Please advice and let me know what more i need to work upon to get into top UK and Europe colleges.Also aiming for ISB.

Originally posted by chauhan2011 on 15 Jan 2010, 14:04.
Last edited by chauhan2011 on 15 Jan 2010, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
chauhan2011 wrote:
Hi BrettN.

Here in is attached my resume. Have recently send it to business school for my visit.

Not sure if you care, but this a public space. If you would like to send it privately (without anyone seeing it) - you can just PM (private message) your resume to BrettN.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey bb,

Fair advice, just that after a long days of work i am not reasoning my actions fair enough.
I have changed my message above to BrettN and mailed him my resume.

Would you mind if I mail it to you too for your inputs as well.

Many thanks.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
chauhan2011 wrote:
Hey bb,

Fair advice, just that after a long days of work i am not reasoning my actions fair enough.
I have changed my message above to BrettN and mailed him my resume.

Would you mind if I mail it to you too for your inputs as well.

Many thanks.

You won't get much out of me. I am happy to take a look at it, but I am not any good at it - gmat - sure but I don't take much interest in admissions consulting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg(Evening),Booth (Evening)
 Q51  V34
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: 5 Years
Send PM
Hi BrettN

Please let me know your thoughts on my chances.

Nationality: Indian
Job Type: IT
Gosh I know, now for some good news

GMAT 710(Q51,V34)
GPA 3.4
Work Ex 5-6 years (Planning to apply in 2011).
I am hoping to join the part time MBA program at Kellogg or Booth.

I have a steady salary growth -> 60K->90K->130K
I have a steady growth in my Job positions as well (youngest person in my company with my Job title etc)
Worked for large companies such as Infosys, Oracle, Navteq, WaMu, FitchRatings.
I can get some good recos from my supervisors at work (one of them is a Booth Alum).
Extracurriculars are decent, also I have some time to work on them (Any recommendations?)

Please advice.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Concentration: MBA Application Consultant
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
atish wrote:
Hi BrettN

Please let me know your thoughts on my chances.

Nationality: Indian
Job Type: IT
Gosh I know, now for some good news

GMAT 710(Q51,V34)
GPA 3.4
Work Ex 5-6 years (Planning to apply in 2011).
I am hoping to join the part time MBA program at Kellogg or Booth.

I have a steady salary growth -> 60K->90K->130K
I have a steady growth in my Job positions as well (youngest person in my company with my Job title etc)
Worked for large companies such as Infosys, Oracle, Navteq, WaMu, FitchRatings.
I can get some good recos from my supervisors at work (one of them is a Booth Alum).
Extracurriculars are decent, also I have some time to work on them (Any recommendations?)

Please advice.

Hi Atish,

I would possibly go through the application and bullet out points as if you were applying for 2010. See if you can confidently answer the leadership, mistake, career vision essays, etc. and if you can't, try to work on these weaknesses this year. You can also do the same process for the extra curricular activities, community activities, etc.

Since you're so on top of the process, I would set up a game plan to connect with the school early and often. Feel free to contact us mid/early summer if you want some more advice on how to proceed for the top schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 874 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi BrettN,

I need some advice to improve my candidature for an MBA program fall 2011.

I took GMAT in December.
Scored 660(V:34, Q:47)
Engineering in Information Technology(65%)

Aiming for Fall 2011.
I haven't decided the course yet. Still doing my research on Universities
and the MBA curricula. To be a little more precise i am looking forward to
Management in Information Systems
Or
Management in International Business to chose from.

Till date i have 19 months of full time work experience as a systems engineer
in IT sector. By fall 2011 it will be close to 3 years.

Please advice how shall i go about improving my profile to strengthen my candidature.
I have almost a year to go for the application process.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4