Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
:barbarian

:pc - you gotta kick it - you are smarter than the stupid computer
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi everybody,

Thanks again for your wishes, I hope that next time I'll do it better. Just one problem, after half a year of preparation I simply used almost all materials I had. Going through them one more time is rather borring ang gives liitle benefit.

As for math:
I started from a private tutor with the high school level, just to get the feeling of math staff again after the 8 year break. It was rather cheap and I had a lot of time, so I spent 2 month doing such kind of practice.

Then, thanks to Bogdan I've got Kaplan Math workbook. Really great resource. I used it as a core book. It's better to use it together with math lessons you can find on the site.

Speaking about probability and combinations this place also has nice overviews that helped me a lot.

Finaly It is necessary to mention Stolyar and his really great math and logic problems. You can find them and the problems of other great guys in the math section of forum.

The last advice read Bogdan's overview about timing on math section.

Any quetions about the test are welcomed

Sergei
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Attempt one - 640 [#permalink]
SERGEI wrote:
I had my test on Tuesday. 640 (46;31)

I have just looked through the Evensflow's story. Friend, just do not give up. May be the day was not very good for test taking at all.

Back to my experience, I have started to prepare for the GMAT about 6 month ago, but the real work lasted for 3-4 month. Saying real work I mean at least 3 hours a day including weekends.

My Cats gave me the hope of nice final score.

Kaplan's were 570, 640, 650.

Math was 49 and 50 on two last tests, verbal not so good, but Kaplan's verbal is believed to be harder than the real thing. (In my case it was closer to the real test than anything else)

PowerPrep 680, 690. Again math was 50 and 51.
I'm not a math man. I have a post where I mentioned that had had no math experience for about 10 years. (that half year study must have done it's job)

The real show gave me the insight that I overestimated myself. The most part of math section was arithmetic containing lots of problems with variables. They were everywhere word problems, geometry and even combination stuff. I was thinking about two or three problems for 4 mins. That was the gravestone of my Math section. I'm almost sure that I did them right, but as a result I didnтАЩt have enough time and was to guess at the end. Last 5 problems were not difficult, but I had time only to click the answer at random. Another proof of the theory (Leave if you canтАЩt do it in 3 minutes)

Verbal was very much like evensflowтАЩs. RC started to show up from the 2 question.
I think that my main problem was the thought that I failed math (because of that guessing), I didnтАЩt manage to completely forget it . As a result I simply didnтАЩt give the full throttle to verbal.
And to tell the truth verbal was more difficult then PP, somewhere in the region of KaplanтАЩs

More later

Privet Sergei!

Sad to here that you received such a score. Anyway you have plenty of time for retaking! (BTW, do not agree that doing all problems for the second time is useless.)

If you do not mind, a couple of questions regarding the real test: Do you remember at least roughly the math problems that puzzle you the most during the exam? What was the breakdown between cr, rc and sc on the real one? What were the orientation of RC paragraphs (natural science, history, art, etc.)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry for the late reply,

I think the questiones during my test (math) were very much like questiones on th BW site (practice) also lots of arithmetic and some wierd geometry.

As for verbal I dont think It was anything special (but it was closer to Kaplan than to PP) 4 RC passg. one bold face question on CR very close to the end of section. SC - not very difficult but still. As for RC topics I recomend you (just ad Kaplan does) not to pay attn to the topic but rather to the way you read pssg.

Sergei
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37319 posts