Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
 Q47  V40 GMAT 2: 710  Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [1]
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: Average GMAT score increase on second take? [#permalink]
sm332 wrote:
this is not a bad idea ... maybe we can tabulate these efforts in a spreadsheet for those pondering over this decision.

710 ---- TBD

You got a 710 first time and are like me, yet to take it a second time?

I got a 650 the first time. 84% in Verbal and 66% in quant. I used to be much better at Math, but law school pushed me more towards verbal. I guess more prep in both should help. My goal is just the same as most others here: HBS. I have a friend that went to the KSG and another at KSG currently. They want me to apply for the joint degree program MBA/MPP. I've not even looked at the GRE yet.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Schools:F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
Send PM
actually wasnt there a more upto date report floating about?

I think I remember seeing one posted by one of the mods ... lengthy GMAC presentation ... will try tracking it down.

ncprasad wrote:
Straight from the horse's mouth. Try this link.

https://www.gmac.com/nr/rdonlyres/ef7d88 ... takers.pdf
Current Student
Send PM
1-t55310

I was able to locate it ... good stuff in here.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Thanks for posting that link to the article. What it seems to tell me is that a person can improve the score the second time, but generally, I think it will be within what GMAC considers to be the standard deviation for each test taker. However, there seems to be so many variables that are virtually impossible to bring together for one study. Regarding the 10% that score over 100 pts higher, how much prep did they put into the GMAT to begin with? Were they serious about that prep? Going over 1000 SC can work, but if you just do them to get through them, very little quality learning takes place. When I sat for the bar exam, I knew people that worked 2000 multiple choice quesitons that failed the bar exam, while I know others that went over 500 - 600 and passed with a very high score on that section. (Multiple choice is half of the bar exam and the only nationally standardized part of the bar exam.)

Preparing for the GMAT is not the answer, quality preparation for the GMAT is the answer.

I really am just hoping for an increase of about 50, from 650 to something just over 700. Beyond that, I believe I can package my leadership, work experience, J.D. and personal characteristics into a quality application package. The GMAT is really just a part of it all. Isn't that what it boils down to? We have to sell ourselves to the adcom and make them believe we are someone they will be proud to associate their school's name with.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think this is based more on the individual than the test.
1-If you are a nervous test taker, then maybe the 2nd time will be better since you won't be as nervous?
2-If you prepared REALLY well and are not a nervous test taker then the first "real" test should be about the same. I mean, how is it REALLY different from jsut another practice test (If you aren't nrevous).
OPEN QUESTION: Some people that take 20 practice tests, then take the real thing and expect to take 10 more practice tests and see a big improvement the 2nd time. Is there really a big difference between the 21st time you take the test (a REAL gmat) and the 31st time? Does this just mean you miscalibrated your preparation the first time around? Also - how much of a factor do y'all think nerves were the first time around?

-ws
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
westsider wrote:
1-If you are a nervous test taker, then maybe the 2nd time will be better since you won't be as nervous?
2-If you prepared REALLY well and are not a nervous test taker then the first "real" test should be about the same. I mean, how is it REALLY different from jsut another practice test (If you aren't nrevous).
OPEN QUESTION: Some people that take 20 practice tests, then take the real thing and expect to take 10 more practice tests and see a big improvement the 2nd time. Is there really a big difference between the 21st time you take the test (a REAL gmat) and the 31st time? Does this just mean you miscalibrated your preparation the first time around? Also - how much of a factor do y'all think nerves were the first time around?

-ws

I don't think there will be that much difference between the 21st & 31st. I see posts on here a lot where people get 720, 690, 740 on practice exams, and then are absolutelly shocked when they take the real thing and got a 640 - 660. Immediately, GMAC can't be right and they scored higher. I think you're right on that nerves play a huge part in it, and I think expectations go a long ways to getting someone mentally ready. When I took it the first time, I got a 650 (Q42 [66%], V38[84%]). The percentages were what GMAC said. I got 82% for the entire thing. I didn't pace myself and had to guess on the last 5 or so Quant questions. I did fine of the verbal which is my strong suit since I'm an attorney.

I had no real expectations for the first time around because the school near me I was interested in has okay scores (Full-time average of 620, part-time average of 590), so I was confident that I could get a score to get me in. I'm afraid that if I put too much pressure on myself for this second time trying to get the elusive 700+ that could negatively affect my score since I feel more pressure. I'm confident that I can deal with the pressure (passed the bar exam first time and that cost me over $3k so I didn't want to do it again, also try putting off getting the salary for a licensed attorney for 6 months. It adds pressure.)

I think I'll just try to be confident in my abilities and if I get 700{, great, if not, I'll be sticking around the midwest ;-) Besides, how many people get a great GMAT score and still don't get into their school of choice? Maybe they got into 1 or 2 of the top 5, but not the absolute one they wanted? GMAT is a starting place, not the finishing line.
Current Student
Send PM
Without a doubt ... about the GMAT being just a starting point. Just have a look at the no admit page for 2008 and it becomes patently clear that the GMAT is just one often times small piece of the puzzle. Having said that it can become an easy way to get eliminated and hence do your best.

jallenmorris wrote:
westsider wrote:

-ws

I don't think there will be that much difference between the 21st & 31st. I see posts on here a lot where people get 720, 690, 740 on practice exams, and then are absolutelly shocked when they take the real thing and got a 640 - 660. Immediately, GMAC can't be right and they scored higher. I think you're right on that nerves play a huge part in it, and I think expectations go a long ways to getting someone mentally ready. When I took it the first time, I got a 650 (Q42 [66%], V38[84%]). The percentages were what GMAC said. I got 82% for the entire thing. I didn't pace myself and had to guess on the last 5 or so Quant questions. I did fine of the verbal which is my strong suit since I'm an attorney.

I had no real expectations for the first time around because the school near me I was interested in has okay scores (Full-time average of 620, part-time average of 590), so I was confident that I could get a score to get me in. I'm afraid that if I put too much pressure on myself for this second time trying to get the elusive 700+ that could negatively affect my score since I feel more pressure. I'm confident that I can deal with the pressure (passed the bar exam first time and that cost me over $3k so I didn't want to do it again, also try putting off getting the salary for a licensed attorney for 6 months. It adds pressure.)

I think I'll just try to be confident in my abilities and if I get 700{, great, if not, I'll be sticking around the midwest ;-) Besides, how many people get a great GMAT score and still don't get into their school of choice? Maybe they got into 1 or 2 of the top 5, but not the absolute one they wanted? GMAT is a starting place, not the finishing line.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

my first score (nov 12) 610
my second score (feb 13) 620
my third score (apr 13) 650

the thing is.. you cannot be stressed during the test... I was most relaxed on my third test..

all the best
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Yeah my score jumped from 700 to 760 .. a combination of good health, better prep and familirity with the testing conditions
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts