Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 05:03 It is currently 09 May 2024, 05:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Which schools demand true community service? I thought they usually want leadership experience and one way of showing leadership, other than at the workplace, was through some community service/clubs etc.

I would've thought that something like "organized volleyball league or intramural tourney" would've been more valuable than nursing the elderly.

At any rate, I just want to admit that I totally sold out in my essays and I used something that I used to do "because I loved it" into "something that made me look like a good leader"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
well said Johnny/Dukes

I wont change myself for a Bschool admission, i am what i am
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fluffy - And I totally sold out in a lot of ways too. Like I said, I had no problem whipping up rough drafts of my rec's etc...

I think you're right, schools are most interested in showing leadership through any sort of extra-curriculars, but I got the impression from Paul Bodine that actual community service was almost necessary for some ultra-elites.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think the application process is just setup to show you that you need to be able to sell yourself and sell your story.

It is no different than a job interview or being on The Apprentice.

The fact that cynical people do good things with intention of using it as leverage for bschool does not detract from the fact that they have done good things. The focus on extra's for bschool is probably responsible, at least in some small way, with increasing volunteerism. Hopefully many of those people who were just doing it for the app will decide it was actually worth it as a long term commitment.

Either way, more good stuff is getting done because of this facet of the application process, and I don't see a problem with practicing the skill of selling your story, a skill you will need during and after bschool, so it naturally should be something they test during the application.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't disagree with you go-getter. I totally understand the reasons why the process is the way it is. But it does chafe me a bit in principle that volunteerism gets commodified. Or that ad-com's pass judgement on people based on a snapshot of a person's lifestyle that may or may not be indicative of what the person is really like. But again, I probably wouldn't run things too much differently if I worked in admissions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
johnnyx9 and dukes, I agree with you 100%. I can honestly tell you that if I were the hiring person at an investment bank or with a similar employer seeing these extracurricular activities would not have a positive bearing upon a hiring decision.

I fail to see a nexus between participating in Habitat for Humanity or something similar and being a successful as an MBA student or business person. I realize that some business schools might favor someone who had worked at a nonprofit for 4 years prior to applying to business school over someone who had been working 60+ hours per week at a profitable business, but I doubt that a post MBA-employer would look favorably upon a resume like that. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that some post-MBA employers would think that person basically wasted 4 years that could have been better spent.

It's almost as though business schools are engaging in a social engineering experiment and they think that requiring MBA applicants to participate in extracurricular activities like this is going to make them more productive members of society after graduation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Snaggletooth wrote:
johnnyx9 and dukes, I agree with you 100%. I can honestly tell you that if I were the hiring person at an investment bank or with a similar employer seeing these extracurricular activities would not have a positive bearing upon a hiring decision.

I would agree with that point. I have done a lot of volunteering and the first thing I am going to do to my post-application resume is kill 90% of that from my resume so I have room for bullet points on transferable skills etc. However, I will leave remnants so that it can come up in conversation perhaps at the beginning or end of the interview.

Its no secret bschools want well-rounded candidates, its just something you have to put up front on the bschool app whereas in the business world it is just a conversation piece. Bschools want people who are going to start/participate in clubs, whereas business just want productive workers with leadership potential.

I dont think it is a social experiement because bschools dont really care WHAT you are involved in, you just have to be involved.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]