Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Re: Best age to start a MBA [#permalink]
gixxer1000 wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
25-26.

Old enough to date the B School/Graduate Student females and also young enough to date the undergrads.

:)

I don't think a 28 year old is going to complain about dating a 20 year old undergrad.

Yeah.... a 58 year old won't complain about dating a 20 year old...

It's the other party I'm talking about in regards to dating. A 20 year old most likely won't balk at dating a 25 year old, but every year thereafter hurts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
gmatclb wrote:
gixxer1000 wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
25-26.

Old enough to date the B School/Graduate Student females and also young enough to date the undergrads.

:)

I don't think a 28 year old is going to complain about dating a 20 year old undergrad.

It's the other party I'm talking about in regards to dating. A 20 year old most likely won't balk at dating a 25 year old, but every year thereafter hurts.

Well, that depends... on how much cash you might have. Many girls like substantially older men but with plenty of cash in the pockets :-D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
bewakoof wrote:
and i am 24.. .. i think the best age is when you feel you are ready.

I'd just adjust to: when you slightly fell prepared go for it. The whole process, can take more than 12 months (especially for internationals).

I'd add, that if you want HBS or Stanford, try not to apply until you're 26-27, from the experiences I've seen here and other places, at these schools ones chances get harder when one gets older.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
kwam wrote:
I'd add, that if you want HBS or Stanford, try not to apply until you're 26-27, from the experiences I've seen here and other places, at these schools ones chances get harder when one gets older.

kwam, did you mean "try to apply before you turn 26-27"? :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Ha, Kwam, way to derail the discussion!

:-D

Seriously though, I think the best age to go to school is the age you are when you get accepted.

Everyone's circumstances are different. If you get in and if the benefits outweight the costs, it's the right time for you.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Sorry it's been really crazy at work, and with EUR at 1,60 (well today it went back a little but the trend is still bad for the US$) it gets even harder.

What I really should have said is that if one's at banking, consulting, or any other kind of industry which heavy send people to MBAs, and you want to go to HS, he or she should apply as soon as he or she can. I talked to a classmate from my undergrad who graduated at Stanford in 2006 and he kind of confirmed that strategy to me. If I had applied 4 years ago my package would stink so much that I wouldn't have a shot anyways, so I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Having said that, I'm really satisfied with the outcome I got, and I REALLY fell that know I'm prepared and FOR ME now is the right time.

Sorry guys, I'll try to catch up with the forum early in may.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I must admit a strong argument in my decision to go to Wharton next year (vs. ask for a deferral) is that I am 27. Great age to tap into ALL the dating pools. In fact, I met an undergrad at Wharton Welcome Weekend and we are now dating :-D :-D So, here my friend is my advice: 26-28 is the sweet spot, both in terms of ROI and impressing the undergrads without looking like a sleeze ball (if you tell them you are 30, you are Dead on arrival)

I love GMATCLUB!h
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q42  V35
Send PM
nick_sun wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

Well, that depends... on how much cash you might have. Many girls like substantially older men but with plenty of cash in the pockets :-D

Agreed.

I don't see many 20 to 22 year olds balking at a successful 28 or 29 year old. Especially when they're back in school in the same environment as them. Most (not all) guys mature later. I know if I was a 22 year old woman I would rather date me now at 28 instead of me earlier at 24. What a difference a few years make :wink: .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q42  V35
Send PM
defenestrate wrote:
This thread seems a little sparse for advice for the MBA female applicant, but most of the men I know will be interested in all "competitive" applicants regardless of age. Perhaps B-school has the same attitude toward women. any ideas?

I'd have to say that while the discussion has veered toward 20 year old undergrads, I don't think bschool women are going to have any problem.

If you look at the other thread about women in bschool you see that they are a much smaller percentage of the class at about 30%. So most of the guys are going to have to look else where anyway.

I think the success notion very much works in reverse as well. Its going to be real hard to overlook the females in your class that are already "competitive" for the younger ones who only have potential. Especially for you IBankers. She won't complain that your at work all the time because she'll be at another bank doing the same thing. And you won't have to worry about spending your bonus to keep her happy :lol: .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
gixxer1000 wrote:
nick_sun wrote:
gmatclb wrote:

Agreed.

I don't see many 20 to 22 year olds balking at a successful 28 or 29 year old. Especially when they're back in school in the same environment as them. Most (not all) guys mature later. I know if I was a 22 year old woman I would rather date me now at 28 instead of me earlier at 24. What a difference a few years make :wink: .

hey hey.. hey..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
elhajoui wrote:
I must admit a strong argument in my decision to go to Wharton next year (vs. ask for a deferral) is that I am 27. Great age to tap into ALL the dating pools. In fact, I met an undergrad at Wharton Welcome Weekend and we are now dating :-D :-D So, here my friend is my advice: 26-28 is the sweet spot, both in terms of ROI and impressing the undergrads without looking like a sleeze ball (if you tell them you are 30, you are Dead on arrival)

I love GMATCLUB!h

i sometimes think that may be i should wait a year and apply next year to a higher ranked shcool.. aka.. HSW.. but with the economy and not gettnig assured that I will get into HSW, it sometimes feel not right..

datingwise.. i don't think thats a problem at any age..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
You guys are nuts...why would you WANT to date undergrads?

I was at the late-night burrito joint recently and got approached by a little cutie who asked me "what year are you?" Hmmm....

I replied, "I'm a grad student. An old one. And while I appreciate your enthusiasm, as this stage in my life I'm more interested in expertise."
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:

I was at the late-night burrito joint recently and got approached by a little cutie who asked me "what year are you?" Hmmm....

I replied, "I'm a grad student. An old one. And while I appreciate your enthusiasm, as this stage in my life I'm more interested in expertise."

only a girl would ask this :roll:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
elhajoui wrote:
(if you tell them you are 30, you are Dead on arrival)

I love GMATCLUB!h

LOL!!! :lol: So I'm DoA??? :shock:

then again, if you're hot, they'll date you at any age (ask any undergrad if they would date Brad Pitt or some other hot celeb over 30) :P

Aau, you're too funny! Any guy would have said, "let's go get a drink right now!" :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
as this stage in my life I'm more interested in expertise."

LOL - GOLD..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:

Well, young girls, although lacking enough expertise, are good for dating because, first of all, they are young and, secondly, as practice shows, they are quite teachable and have a great potential for improvisations.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:

How can one single post begin so ignorantly (<-- I don't mean that in a bad way aaudetat) yet end so brilliantly? haha

kidding of course, I'd want to punch myself in the face before dating an undergrad.

I posted this a long time ago, marquis of stanford comments on mba's dating undergrads. I agree with him.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/108-p303382?t=43173#p303382
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3