Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Bio major, tragic GPA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hello,

I am sorry for delay in reply

Your GMAT and low GPA - Your gmat is competitive for the schools listed, but I would suggest that if you think you can retake gmat and can improve your quant and overall GMAT by 30 points, retake it , else do not retake it. Personally I would suggest you that there is some time for you to apply these schools, and you can increase your score to offset your low GPA.

Leadership experience - Leadership at work is something that every b-school appreciates the most, but do not worry , you can highlight your leadership skills at EC (these skills should ideally be concrete, not for the sake of mention). since you have some time left till you apply, take initiative at work place (if possible) and build some leadership experience stories.

Can you share your ECs.

thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
8-)

Originally posted by EmBeeAy23 on 21 May 2012, 07:17.
Last edited by EmBeeAy23 on 26 Feb 2013, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your feedback James!! I ultimately decided to forgo the 2nd attempt at the GMAT and have, since the date of the first post, registered for a Data Analytics Marketing summer course at an accredited university. I have also communicated across my plans to my managers at work who are supportive of my plans, and I have recently identified an opportunity to make a very constructive and meaningful impact at work. The opportunity, similar to your suggestion, utilizes more of a decision-making functionality as opposed to a reactionary-based judgment.

Again, thanks for your feedback and I am in full agreement: it's not worth spending an additional 30-50 hours on a chance (not a guarantee) to bump up a 730 GMAT score, as opposed to using it to apply myself at work and in other areas. I'll need to really focus, dig deep, and brainstorm for my WHY's and specific examples in essays in order to give myself the best chance.

Originally posted by EmBeeAy23 on 21 May 2012, 11:29.
Last edited by EmBeeAy23 on 20 Feb 2013, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for your feedback cheetarah !! definitely not a repeat of Young James' advice.

I'm 95% certain a GMAT re-take isn't in my sights, especially considering I did better on my actual exam than I had done on my practice exams (though perhaps more of a sign of me not taking the practice exams seriously and failing to properly mimic a test-day environment). I'm not too satisfied with my quant score, but overall pretty pleased with my total score. More importantly, I studied a lot to get to this score, and to invest an additional 30-50 hours on a retake is time that could be better spent honing my essays. The opportunity cost at a chance (not a guarantee) to score 10-20 points higher just isn't worth it.

I am taking a summer course in a statistics class so I'm actually already on my way to executing the advice you laid out. As much as I'd love to tack on a 2nd course, I'm afraid I wouldn't have the time working full-time and all. I'll definitely take your suggestions and advice to heart as I tackle the optional essay.
GMAT Club Bot