Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith [#permalink]
pavankarwa123 wrote:
In E, I believe 'he' can be included in an independent clause.

True , I would consider it a run on sentence , isn't it ?.... :cry:

pavankarwa123 Thanks for pointing out my mistake!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith [#permalink]
Abhishek009 wrote:
pavankarwa123 wrote:
In E, I believe 'he' can be included in an independent clause.

True , I would consider it a run on sentence , isn't it ?.... :cry:

pavankarwa123 Thanks for pointing out my mistake!! :-D

I think E does not have any error. Although both C & E are correct grammatically, C expresses the idea more directly and with less use of words. When you can present in a simple sentence, why bother to choose two independent clauses separated by a semicolon?

As many experts would say, GMAT is not about absolute grammar but about choosing the best option given the choices.

Interesting question though!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I am also confused about E. It looks ok to me, because there seem to be two Independent clauses connected by a semicolon. So, it doesn't look like a run-on. Is this an official question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Even I unable to agree with Option C.

The wording 'Born in Tupelo' is modifying the word Mississippi. Mississippi cannot be be born in Tupelo... Am I the only reading this way...

I agree with OPTION E. Though there are two clauses... it is Krystal clear. In option E, Missippipi is modifying Tupelo and this contextually correct.

Please correct me with Option C.

Strange question.

Abhishek009 wrote:
dominicraj wrote:
Blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith, born in Tupelo, Mississippi, in 1936, has since 1958 been a fixture on the southern blues scene after the release of his debut album in that year.

The main theme is - 1936(Born)-----------1958( release of debut album )

A. Blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith, born in Tupelo, Mississippi, in 1936, has since 1958 been a fixture on the southern blues scene after the release of his debut album in that year. - In which year ?

B. Being born in 1936 in Tupelo, Mississippi,blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith released his debut album in 1958 and has been a fixture on the southern blues scene since then. - Passive.

C. Born in Tupelo, Mississippi, in 1936,blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith has been a fixture on the southern blues scene since the release of his debut album in 1958.

Consider only the blue part
, doen't it look perfect gramatically ? Ye it is !!! This is the main point of the sentence.

Born in Tupelo, Mississippi, in 1936,blues musician - Provides additional information about the subject (Poboy).

D. Having been a fixture on the southern blues scene since 1958 when he released his debut album, Paul “Poboy” Smith is a blues musician who was born in 1936 in Tupelo, Mississippi. - Passive.

E. Since the release of his debut album in 1958, blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith has been a fixture on the southern blues scene; he was born in Tupelo,Mississippi in 1936.

After the semi colon ---- He was born in Tupelo,Mississippi........... can not standalone as a sentence what does he refer to ??

Henco agreed with the OA (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
shriramvelamuri wrote:

The wording 'Born in Tupelo' is modifying the word Mississippi. Mississippi cannot be be born in Tupelo... Am I the only reading this way...

I agree with OPTION E. Though there are two clauses... it is Krystal clear. In option E, Missippipi is modifying Tupelo and this contextually correct.

Strange question.

Abhishek009 wrote:
dominicraj wrote:
Blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith, born in Tupelo, Mississippi, in 1936, has since 1958 been a fixture on the southern blues scene after the release of his debut album in that year.

The main theme is - 1936(Born)-----------1958( release of debut album )

A. Blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith, born in Tupelo, Mississippi, in 1936, has since 1958 been a fixture on the southern blues scene after the release of his debut album in that year. - In which year ?

B. Being born in 1936 in Tupelo, Mississippi,blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith released his debut album in 1958 and has been a fixture on the southern blues scene since then. - Passive.

C. Born in Tupelo, Mississippi, in 1936,blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith has been a fixture on the southern blues scene since the release of his debut album in 1958.

Consider only the blue part
, doen't it look perfect gramatically ? Ye it is !!! This is the main point of the sentence.

Born in Tupelo, Mississippi, in 1936,blues musician - Provides additional information about the subject (Poboy).

D. Having been a fixture on the southern blues scene since 1958 when he released his debut album, Paul “Poboy” Smith is a blues musician who was born in 1936 in Tupelo, Mississippi. - Passive.

E. Since the release of his debut album in 1958, blues musician Paul “Poboy” Smith has been a fixture on the southern blues scene; he was born in Tupelo,Mississippi in 1936.

After the semi colon ---- He was born in Tupelo,Mississippi........... can not standalone as a sentence what does he refer to ??

Henco agreed with the OA (C)

Option C is correct.

think it like this. ( born in California,USA in 1980). That means California is in USA not that USA is born in CA).

Problem with E is that it is taking two independent clauses, we need one clause not two to express the idea clearly.

I hope I am able to express it clearly.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shriramvelamuri wrote:

Whenever we write a city followed by its State, the correct use of punctuation is, for example, Paris, France,........
Another example is, While staying in Beijing, China, he visited many local art museums.

Hope this suffices.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts