Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Brain Disorders

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Brain Disorders [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 17:44
The present goal of the field of medicine seems to be to extend life indefinetely. Increasingly, the ability to transplant such organs as hearts, lungs, livers and kidneys will allow us to live longer. But we can never achieve brain transplants. There are, for a start, ten million nerves running from brain down to neck, not to mention the millions joining the brain to the sensing organs. Clearly, then, as the transplantation of organs allows more and more people to live longer, those with degenerative brain disorders will form an ever-increasing proportion of the population.

The argument above is based on which one of the following assumptions?

A. Degenerative brain disorders will increasingly strike younger and younger patients

B. It is still quite rare for people to love long enough to need more than one transplant of any given organ

C. There are degernerative brain disorders that will not be curable without brain transplants

D. Degenerative brain disorders account for a very small proportion of deaths in the population at large

E. More is being spent on research into degenerative brain disorders than on research onto transplantation

I dont have an OA for this but my answer is

D
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 18:36
I'd go D as well, but as much because of process of elimination as anything else
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 21:38
My answer is C
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brain Disorders [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 02:35
The present goal of the field of medicine seems to be to extend life indefinetely. Increasingly, the ability to transplant such organs as hearts, lungs, livers and kidneys will allow us to live longer. But we can never achieve brain transplants. There are, for a start, ten million nerves running from brain down to neck, not to mention the millions joining the brain to the sensing organs. Clearly, then, as the transplantation of organs allows more and more people to live longer, those with degenerative brain disorders will form an ever-increasing proportion of the population.

A. Degenerative brain disorders will increasingly strike younger and younger patients

B. It is still quite rare for people to love long enough to need more than one transplant of any given organ

C. There are degernerative brain disorders that will not be curable without brain transplants

D. Degenerative brain disorders account for a very small proportion of deaths in the population at large

E. More is being spent on research into degenerative brain disorders than on research onto transplantation

C for me,

Assumption, I barely figured out the assumption.
People now live longer(including degenerative brain disorder ppl) because of midicine field advances in transplanting organs. But still, there are degenerative brain disorders, which can be cured with brain transplant, though brain transplant is not possible.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 02:59
I am stuck b/w A and C.

But C doesn't explain how brain disorders will form an increasing proportion of the population.

A looks fine to me...any thoughts??
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 04:39
A for me.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brain Disorders [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 05:10
Basically the way i see it, you should not be able to refute ANY word in the correct choice.
Lets see A, C, D.

(A) Degenerative brain disorders will increasingly strike younger and younger patients
what is in the stem that can imply " more young patients" suffer from this disorder?
(C) There are degernerative brain disorders that will not be curable without brain transplants
at least, I cant refute any word in it :)
(D) Degenerative brain disorders account for a very small proportion of deaths in the population at large
May be! You need to make more assumptions to get to it. Stem does not need to assume it in order to make sense

I am open to a challenge :)
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brain Disorders [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 05:50
dahcrap wrote:

D

The key to answering this question IMO is - if it is true that "those with degenerative brain disorders will form an ever-increasing proportion of the population", It must also be true that while the other diseases apart from brain deg brain disorders can be cured through transplants - the brain disorder cannot be cured - 1 - because there's no transplantation available (this has been stated EXPLICITLY) and also, and 2 - it must be ASSUMED that there is no OTHER way besides transplantation that the brain disorder can be cured. ONLY THEN WILL THE PROPORTION OF THOSE WITH THE CONSEQUENTLY INCURABLE BRAIN DISORDER INCREASE in the population.
Re: Brain Disorders   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2007, 05:50