GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 00:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The present goal of the field of medicine seems to be to extend life i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Human Resources, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
The present goal of the field of medicine seems to be to extend life i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 02:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

76% (01:52) correct 24% (02:26) wrong based on 119 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The present goal of the field of medicine seems to be to extend life indefinitely. Increasingly, the ability to transplant such organs as hearts, lungs, livers, and kidneys will allow us to live longer. But we can never achieve brain transplants. There are, for a start, ten million nerves running from the brain down the neck, not to mention the millions joining the brain to the sensing organs. Clearly, then, as the transplantation of organs allows more and more people to live longer, those with degenerative brain disorders will form an ever-increasing proportion of the population.

The argument above is based on which one of the following assumptions?

(A) Degenerative brain disorders will increasingly strike younger and younger patients.
(B) It is still quite rare for people to live long enough to need more than one transplant of any give organ.
(C) There are degenerative brain disorders that will not be curable without brain transplants.
(D) Degenerative brain disorders account for a very small proportion of deaths in the population at large.
(E) More is being spent on research into degenerative brain disorders than on research into transplantation.

Source: LSAT

Army Brat

Director
Director
S
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Re: The present goal of the field of medicine seems to be to extend life i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2017, 04:25
Top Contributor
Let us simplify the argument given --

Premise
1. the ability to transplant such organs as hearts, lungs, livers, and kidneys will allow us to live longer.
2. Cannot achieve brain transplant however

Conclusion
Those with degenerative brain disorders will form an ever-increasing proportion of the population

This implies that even though we can achieve successful transplants of other organs, we cannot do so for the brain. This means that as people live longer (because of transplants, they will stop dying of other diseases), incidence of brain diseases would be higher -- since we cannot transplant brains.

Option A - Incorrect

the argument does not imply more and more young people will get brain disorders but rather that incidence of such disorders would be higher among people who live long.

Option B - Incorrect

We are not concerned about what is happening today, but the implications of what happens in the future when people start to live longer because of transplants.

By stating that people do not live long enough to receive more than one transplant, this sentence kind of goes against the force of the argument. The argument clearly states that people will live longer as transplants become more common.

Option C - Correct answer

If degenerative brain disorders can be cured without transplants, the incidence of such disorders in the population as the people live longer will no longer be true.

Option D - Incorrect

We are not concerned about the percentage of death such disorders account for. But we are concerned with whether such disorders would be MORE common or not.

Option E - Incorrect

We cannot infer this nor is it relevant to the conclusion.

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The present goal of the field of medicine seems to be to extend life i  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2018, 09:10
I believe this LSAT question has a common pattern from gmat.
C connects directly with the argument. Other options all are wrong.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The present goal of the field of medicine seems to be to extend life i &nbs [#permalink] 20 Apr 2018, 09:10

The present goal of the field of medicine seems to be to extend life i

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap