Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Building up my strategy when there is not a lot of time left [#permalink]
Ok, first I forgot to mention in my initial post (which I already corrected) that my last position is a Manager at a Financial Advisory Firm. What worries me is not the actual work experience I have but the fact that the schools will take into account to a big degree the fact that it took me 7 years to complete my Bachelor's and I obviously worked throughout it, even though as a Manager in the field in which I was studying. I guess I should have provided in the initial post a more detailed explanation as to why my work experience worries me. Or should I not be worried that I worked during my Bachelor's? But how can I not be considering that it was the reason my GPA is so low.. Anyways, no point of looking back, I did not have the finances to support myself anyway so I had to work. I will describe that situation in the essay.

*** I did the same mistake in another forum. Anyways, I corrected my initial post.

Apparently I can apply to a school providing my immediate (not final) GMAT result that I will get right after the exam. The final result is sent to the school 20 days after the test. So that means that if the deadline for Round 2 for a specific school is Dec 12th, I can take the GMAT on Dec 10th and be good if all my other stuff for the application is good.

I was thinking of getting two recommendations, one from another Manager at the Fin.Adv. Firm and another from a Professor at the University I attended... But I was just advised that it's not a good idea to have a Professor write a recommendation for you if you have work experience, so I guess I will skip on that one.

Taking the TOEFL on August 10th which seems to be very easy, judging from the Practice Tests I did without any prep.

I am dedicating myself to the GMAT prep and the essay from now on until early Dec! Wish me luck!

Thank you for your time old1442 and Neha!

Regards,
Nick
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 08-19-2013
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
npanushev wrote:
Hi everyone,

First, I just want to thank you all on this forum for sharing so much valuable information!

I just got my Bachelor's degree in Finance. My Overall GPA is 2.66

I am studying for TOEFL right now and I have no doubts that I will take it with a great score since I studied English in high school, lived in the US for a little over 3 years, and I am working at a call center.

I will try to study and take the GMAT by mid November and have the score sent to a number of schools so I can apply by Round 2. Most schools' deadlines for Round 2 is mid December-early January as far I have researched. Please correct me if I am wrong here. Then I plan on studying for the GMAT again, retaking it with hopes for a better score and re-applying for Round 3.

Now I know that the application is a combination of many things. Maybe I can impress with a good essay, but still my GPA and my job experience are the things that worry me. I am 26 now and I have worked as a Lifeguard, Valet, Manager at a fast food restaurant, a Help desk Analyst,Software Support and lastly a Manager at a Financial Advisory Firm. This is not going to impress the top 20 B-Schools, right? Do you guys think if I should even bother applying to them? What schools would you all recommend if say I get a 600-700 score in GMAT which I think is doable for me?

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially from people who were in my position and succeeded in being admitted to a desired school!

Thank you all again!

Regards,
Nick

Hi,

According to me it would be very difficult for you to crack any of the top 25 b schools with ur professional experience. If u can pen down some outstanding business skills and other qualities with an impressive GMAT score of above 730 or 740+ then it would be possible for the admission committee to add more weightage for ur application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I should probably try to retake the classes on which I had Ds and Cs, sign up for community work and apply in 2014.. I wish I would not have to waste a year, but maybe it will not be a waste.. We will see.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
npanushev wrote:
I should probably try to retake the classes on which I had Ds and Cs, sign up for community work and apply in 2014.. I wish I would not have to waste a year, but maybe it will not be a waste.. We will see.

The second post here top-state-finance-schools-in-us-154859.html will also be helpful for you. highwyre237 mentions a few more schools with good bank for the buck and only moderate stats.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
It seems I calculated my GPA incorrectly. It is 3.36, not 2.66. Well good thing I payed for that iGPA calculator at wes org ! :)

That raises my chances significantly!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts