Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:ISB(Waitlisted) INSEAD(interview) Kellogg(Re-applicant i/w last time) Johnson(Re-applicant i/w last time) IESE(Re-applicant i/w last time)
 Q49  V38
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
mba2011app wrote:
Submitted my app last night. One of my LOR is not in yet. Does anyone know if there's a deadline for LOR?

At a recent MBA info session (reps from Cornell, Duke, Michigan, etc were present) I asked the same question. The response I got from the Duke rep was that schools typically have a grace period for LOR's, which varies from school-to-school, but no school will tell you what that period is. So, if I were to guess, if your LOR gets in in the next day or two, you should still be considered for Round 2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
badgerboy wrote:
mba2011app wrote:
Submitted my app last night. One of my LOR is not in yet. Does anyone know if there's a deadline for LOR?

At a recent MBA info session (reps from Cornell, Duke, Michigan, etc were present) I asked the same question. The response I got from the Duke rep was that schools typically have a grace period for LOR's, which varies from school-to-school, but no school will tell you what that period is. So, if I were to guess, if your LOR gets in in the next day or two, you should still be considered for Round 2.

I asked the same question. I was told up to 1 week was acceptable. But ofcourse the sooner, the better.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Yale
 Q45  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Tax - Big 4
Send PM
Kudos
Randomness wrote:
Got an interview invite yesterday. Have not called yet to schedule an interview. Anyone has an idea how how soon should one speak to the school and how many days after one has spoke in the interview scheduled?

Randomness - congrats! Not sure what the proper "etiquette" is, but I called the day after, and scheduled the interview for about 2 weeks later. The person was very nice and first mentioned that one member of the admissions committee would be out on the west coast (where I'm located), but also gave the option to interview on campus. It was a quick 2 minute phone call, and she sent a confirmation right after.

Hope that helped!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
kevintay wrote:
Is there any international applicants here who have done an alumni interview? I hope to hear some advice on how to go about arranging for the alumni interview. Johnson has provided me with the contact information of 3 alumini, and leave it to me to arrange for the interview at a mutually convenient time and place. However I have a few queries:

1. How many interviews do I need to arrange? Is it one interview, where any of the 3 alumni can interview me?

2. What is the typical period of time for me to complete the alumni interview?

3. Do I need to provide the alumni with any information prior to the interview? E.g. resume?

4. What is the proper 'etiquette' to initiate the interview with the alumni?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey!
I did an alumni Interview in Europe.
1. I think you need just one interview. I only did one interview and it would surprise me if you needed to do three. I have only ever heard of anyone doing one so I assume you can contact the alum of your choice.
2. With alum there is no usual timeframe. My interview went on for 2 hours (felt like half an hour because it was so conversational). I have heard adcom interviews are shorter.. like 30 to 40 minutes...
3. My alum received my resume from the admissions comittee once I informed my adcom representative that I had scheudled an interview. They don't read your essays etc... they only get your CV. But you can ask your adcom rep.
4. I just wrote an email with something along the lines of, pleased to have received interview invite... looking forward to it... bla bla bla... was provided with your contact information to schedule an interview. My preferred dates are x y and z at xy Oclock but I am very flexible in case these dates aren't suitable for you.

Hope that helps!
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks staind and Jock4MBA for your encouragement. I will definitely put in my best in the interview today!

I will try asking my interviewer about this funding problem for internationals. Separately, I have also arranged for a chat with another Johnson alum in about a week's time. She was actually listed as a alum interviewer for me as well, but since I have accepted the offer for interview with another alum, she suggested a coffee chat instead. Great suggestion; I can learn more about the Johnson experience and also find out about options of funding from her. If i gather any information, I will share with everybody in this forum.

Good luck! :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management and strategy
Schools:Cornell - Johnson, Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all,
I had my alum interview recently. It was a fairly relaxed interview for about 40-50 min. I was asked the below questions -
Talk about yourself
Why MBA
Why Cornell?
What other schools are you applying to and why?
What have you done to learn about Cornell?
Team handling - various situations
What do you expect from Cornell?
What can Cornell expect from you (During Cornell and after Cornell)?
Why not Indian BSchool? Why US ? (I had spoken about returning to India as my long term goal)

At this point of time, I am not sure how I did.. .Just waiting for the results now.

All the best for all the others!
Cheers,
L
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I applied R2 and got an interview invite today. I submitted my application on Nov 8th, but didn't have my recommendations in until Nov 9th.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
BlueRobin wrote:
Hey fellow applicants,
I would appreciate if anyone can comment on this

Does anyone have any idea whether there needs to be any style in which these questions can be answered
There is another essay asking
Collegiate Activities and Employment
Post-Collegiate Activities
Hobbies
Or can we just answer them one after another.

This is a shocker to me because I did not see any of these in the essays and I thought I was done with the documentation.

Does anybody find it strange its not among the essays and after the Optional Essay.

Regards.

Hi BlueRobin,

I basically answered this in a numbered and bulleted format. I submited one document of 3 pages, one section on each page. I'm not sure if this is the approach preferred by the adcom though. Personally I do not find it strange, as this is the only place where Johnson ask for information on your ECs. What is uncommon, perhaps, is that candidates can upload a document (without much guidelines) on their ECs, while most other schools have it in as a section with structured inputting within the main application document.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Does anybody know when Johnson will start to release the admission decisions for R1, and will they call admitted internationals?

Best of luck,
Kevin
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
Hi BlueRobin,

IMO, I believe Collegiate Activities refer to your ECs in university. In US, I understand college refers to university. If you have won awards, competition, leadership position, etc. in university, you should definitely write about them. Post-Collegiate Activities refer to your ECs after graduation from university. This will be what you participated in outside work. Volunteering, if you are involved, is definitely one area you can discuss. Hobbies will be things which you do on your own and not through any organisation. I guess you can share hobbies which are related or aligned to your aspirations/values, or unique hobbies, if you have any, so you would stand out as an interesting/fun candidate to have in class.

Anybody else care to share your views on this?

All best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
ekalil,

Formula: Own savings, loans from family members, loans from banks in your country. Of course, the amount depends on your financial situation, borrowing potential with family (income bracket) and loan culture. In some low income countries, banks are reluctant to lend big education loans to students.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Kudos
I wouldn't worry about it. If Kroll has a question I'm sure they'll contact you to clarify or have the school contact you. You have proof of income, via invoices so it's not a big deal.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Concentration: Strategic Consulting/Brand Management
Schools:Cornell (R3-Admitted);
 Q43  V38 GMAT 2: 710  Q46  V41
WE 1: 5+ IT Business Consultant/Project Manager
Send PM
Kudos
litser wrote:
Hey guys, it looks like sangjo got an interview invite already. But are there any R3 applicants whose application status still shows submitted?? (My case).
Thks!

Mine says submitted too... I just got this off the site...

When might I receive an invitation to interview?

The Johnson School Admissions Office distributes invitations to interview throughout each application round. We usually send the first invitations for interviews about one month after the application deadline and continue sending invitations until the notification date.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
After long careful consideration, I have decided not to take up the offer of admission from Johnson. Good luck to all, and all the best to those on waitlist. Hope good news will come your way soon!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
Visited Johnson this week. My observations:

Pros
- Got on very well with student hosts.
- Liked the feel of the small class size -- everyone knows everyone.
- Really good class visits. Saar has a dry quirky sense of humor that I like. Bailey is a fellow Canadian, so automatically funny and cool.
- Marcie, from the admissions office, was very helpful and really down-to-earth.
- Like the feel of Ithaca (based on a very short observation period).

Cons
- Wish at least 1 of the people giving the info session was a 2nd year (it was two 1st years).
- Was rather disappointed not to have the opportunity to speak with anyone from the admissions committee. (Every other school I've visited at least has a Q&A with an adcom member.) Especially given how far one has to travel to visit the Cornell campus.
- Didn't like the hilliness (is that a word?) of the campus, but that's really my issue since I have a broken leg and am getting around on crutches.
- Had a very undergrad feel, even in Sage Hall, the Johnson building. Would be nice if they kept the kiddies out of the atrium. (I'm old though, this may not be an issue for anyone under, say, 26.)

Overall, good impression. The school stayed in the same place on my ranking.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Kudos
BlueRobin wrote:
My application status is suddenly updated to Incomplete, no reason mentioned. I completed the whole application and double checked.

Any clues, do I need to courier them my original transcripts as well for completing the application?

I thought it could wait after until after the decision.

Regards.

BlueRobin, probably not a bad idea to give them a call on Monday. If you're sure your recommenders have already submitted, then official transcripts is the likely reason. They do require official transcripts to be submitted before the application deadline (or they used to last year) but a fair number of people don't do that. I'm sure they will process your application regardless but better give them a call just to make sure there isn't anything else they need.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Kudos
From the online application: "Submission of unofficial transcripts allows the Johnson School Admissions Office to process your application quickly, but we require official transcripts from all previous coursework if you matriculate. We recommend providing official transcripts in addition to scanned documents. Offers of admission are not binding until the admissions office verifies academic records."

Sounds to me that not sending official transcripts shouldn't hold up your app. You will have to send them if you are admitted.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
BlueRobin-
I was contacted to submit a scan of my GMAT score report. If you haven't submitted your test score through GMAC, then they require a scan of the score report before your app can be reviewed by the adcom. Could that be the issue?

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  72