Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS 2+2
 Q49  V42
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Investment Management
Re: Calling all HBS 2+2 2010 applicants [#permalink]
Finally, a thread for HBS 2+2 Applicants! I'm excited to hear the musings of others trying the put this application together on top of school, work, and the like.

Right now, I plan on taking the GMAT in May after finals, and I've started thinking about the essays. Mind you, that's the extent of it. The topics seem awfully overwhelming; looks like I should hunt for an obscure island in Polynesia to save... :lol:

I'll post stats for assessment later, but I did have a question: does the HBS admissions committee generally accept a similar number of students from each domestic university (either knowingly or unknowingly)? I ask because since its inception, the program has accepted 3-4 from my school each year. So going on historical, albeit limited, precedent, can I expect the same? (A loaded question because it isn't in a "ceteris paribus" vacuum...but I'm interested to hear your insights, Sandy.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
I think you've answered your own question!

The program hasn't been around for too long, so I'd be willing to bet that these types of traits in terms of acceptance by school can't be confirmed or denied at this point. I would imagine that stronger candidates tend to come from certain schools, so it doesn't surprise me that certain schools send multiple people each year.

By the way -- I'm glad to finally see another domestic applicant for the program!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Sandy,

I was wondering if you assess my profile as I'm considering applying for the 2+2 programme this June.

GMAT: ~700 on past papers.
GPA: Reading engineering at a mid tier UK university. 65% average for my first two years. Averaging 70% for my penultimate year. Top 10% of my cohort.

Internships:
1. FTSE 250 Manufacturer - Redesigned their intranet
2. Global engineering firm - Worked as a team on a 56km, £125m project to design a fresh water pipeline.
3. Small local engineering firm - Marketed and developed corporate strategy for a new surveying service.

Nationality: British

Extracurricular:
1. Supplemental instruction coordinator for my course.
2. Developing emarketing strategy for a non profit charity.

What do you reckon?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How much emphasis is put on the rank of your school for 2+2? My school is not very competitive but I do stand out with GPA and extra carics, its also an hbcu. Any thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hey Sandy,

I emailed you a couple of times but haven't gotten a response. I'm sure you're very busy, but I thought I'd try posting here as well, just in case my email got lost through the masses :)

Current Stats: Undergraduate Junior
GPA: 3.71 (Low due to general education courses, but have gotten an A in every single major related course – with the exception of one)
Undergrad Institution: University of North Florida - (will this affect my entrance chances?)
Major: Information Systems
Ethnicity: Indian
Work History: 1.5 years part-time BA at Blue Cross Blue Shield (Internship)
GMAT: Currently in preparation, scoring app. 600-650 range on Kaplan tests – I will be taking it in the month of May, so I’m expecting a significant improvement from these scores.
Extracurricular Activities:
On campus:
· On campus Mentoring Program
· Big brother Big Sister
· UPE (Computer Science Honor Society)
· National Collegiate Honor Society
· National Leadership Society
Off Campus:
· Youth Coordinator for Cultural Organization
· Relay for life
· Up ‘til Dawn
· Various volunteer activities (homeless shelters, etc.)
·
Plans after graduation/Other Information: I’m not sure if this should be mentioned in the application, but I want to travel to India and Africa and build orphanages and schools to offer children opportunities to have an education and a better life. I’ve also succeeded in creating a small charity organization this year among friends and family and together we are donating $1200 to charity at the end of the year, along with participating in other volunteer activities over the year. I've also led many groups/organization of events for my cultural community. As far as career wise, I would like to go into a finance related track upon graduating, and the original plan was to get an MSF, but felt a MBA was better suited for my needs. I want to do something in the field of risk & asset management... (this will be more specific in my actual application :))
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

I have a question about the first essay question (What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600 words)).

To cite the author of MBA Admissions Blog by MBA Game Plan:

This is exactly the same question on the regular HBS application. While you are obviously younger than the typical applicant, still expects to see several separate, concrete examples of how you made a positive impact on the organization, community, or people around you.

When I wrote my response to this question I focused on, according to myself, my most substantial accomplishments. These accomplishments will provide the board with a lot of information about myself but less information about what positive impact I have made on people around me. Is this very important and should I try to find other accomplishments that have had an impact on other people?

I am confused on what approach I should use and I am very thankful for any help I can get.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
The whole positive impact thing is incredibly important for HBS... Largely because it's connected to leadership... You are a good leader if you have a positive impact on the people you lead. Two of my accomplishments all three of my other essays drew in this concept.

hoffeman wrote:
Hello,

I have a question about the first essay question (What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600 words)).

To cite the author of MBA Admissions Blog by MBA Game Plan:

This is exactly the same question on the regular HBS application. While you are obviously younger than the typical applicant, still expects to see several separate, concrete examples of how you made a positive impact on the organization, community, or people around you.

When I wrote my response to this question I focused on, according to myself, my most substantial accomplishments. These accomplishments will provide the board with a lot of information about myself but less information about what positive impact I have made on people around me. Is this very important and should I try to find other accomplishments that have had an impact on other people?

I am confused on what approach I should use and I am very thankful for any help I can get.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
What's the typical student profile for someone that gets in? I saw the breakdown on their website of GPA, GMAT, and major but I'm looking for something a little more detailed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello,

I just received my TOEFL score:
Total: 107
Reading: 27
Listening: 29
Speaking: 23
Writing: 28

I am applying to the HBS 2+2 program and they state that they discourage student with lower than 109 to apply...
My options are:
1) Apply anyway
2) Request rescore which will take 3 weeks and hope that they will increase my speaking score with 2 points.
3) Retake it.

The deadline is so close I can only do one of the options... How much weigh do they put on this test? If invited to interview I guess I can prove my speaking skills anyway. Although, I am afraid my application gets cut out because it is lower than 109... Please give me some advice!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
hoffeman wrote:
Hello,

I just received my TOEFL score:
Total: 107
Reading: 27
Listening: 29
Speaking: 23
Writing: 28

I am applying to the HBS 2+2 program and they state that they discourage student with lower than 109 to apply...
My options are:
1) Apply anyway
2) Request rescore which will take 3 weeks and hope that they will increase my speaking score with 2 points.
3) Retake it.

The deadline is so close I can only do one of the options... How much weigh do they put on this test? If invited to interview I guess I can prove my speaking skills anyway. Although, I am afraid my application gets cut out because it is lower than 109... Please give me some advice!

If I were you, I'd study some more and retake the exam when you're more prepared. The re-scoring process takes about a month and they rarely change your score.

You don't have to apply for the 2+2 program -- you can always apply as a college senior. I recently attended an open house event and they said the most important part of your application is timing. As Dee said, "Don't apply until you're 100% confident and ready. HBS will always be here, so there's no point rushing your application."
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
Seems like there are only a handful of us (GMATClubbers applying to 2+2)! Best of luck as June 15th approaches!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
R2I4D wrote:
Seems like there are only a handful of us (GMATClubbers applying to 2+2)! Best of luck as June 15th approaches!

Keep us posted! As a 2+2 applicant for next year's cycle, I am searching frantically for any information/contact points with people who make it through.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
alritie guyz
how many applicants are here?
Intern
Intern
 Q49  V42
whiplash2411 wrote:
R2I4D wrote:

Keep us posted! As a 2+2 applicant for next year's cycle, I am searching frantically for any information/contact points with people who make it through.

Well, hopefully, I get to enjoy the privilige of being one of your "contact points" 8-) . I got my interview invite today, so we'll see what early September holds for me!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Good luck!!!! :) I know that one more person on the forum got an interview invite as well. :)

Would you mind sharing your stats with me? (PM or here would do) :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got an interview invite as well... anybody know how many applications they received?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
No, I don't think the stats were posted yet. But it'd be a safe guess to say around 850-900, out of which 200 people received interview invites. Keep us posted! :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4