Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2010 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

In/Dinged/WL ? (For fall 2010 applicants only)

• 91% [32]
  • 2% [1]
  • 5% [2]
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 14:59
This post was
BOOKMARKED
posting to bump thread back up and hopefully get the Kelley talks back up.

Also, all those accepted, WL, etc, to Kelley, please share your experience on the application process. Im having a tough time with GMAT prep just because it has been so long since Ive used that matieral and I am coming from the health/medical side. Im looking to see what it takes to get in and what it takes to get you rejected :(
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all 2010 Kelley Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
I also visited recently and was super impressed.

I will compare with my other visits: Kellogg (deny), Cornell (deny), Duke (deny), Carnegie (waitlist), UNC (admit), Haas (did not apply).

At one extreme, Kellogg students seemed to be overly focused on their clubs and activities outside the classroom. At the other extreme, Duke and Carnegie students both seemed exhausted and overwhelmed by their school work. Indiana was the perfect mix--down to earth students that seemed like they could have fun, but at the same time were outwardly excited about their courses. I attended two different classes and the IU profs were up there with any of the best that I've experienced at other schools (e.g. Bob Frank @ Cornell).

The IU Integrated Core is very appealing (to me, atleast), and their academies seem like great resources to help drum up internship opportunities after year 1. Many of the 1st years were in suits and having their first intern interviews when I was there, and a Target recruiter cruised past our group on the building tour.

Also, about the building...I think in my visits only Duke stands out as having more impressive facilities (Kellogg/Haas/UNC tie for 3rd, Carnegie 6th, Cornell pretty distant 7th).

That said, I liked the immediate area surrounding IU better than that of Fuqua. IU just had such a great community feel and a beautiful campus, and Kirkwood Ave is literally right across the street so that you can walk from B-school to bars/restaurants/shops/book stores/dunkin donuts.

IU location seems like a downer, but they are actually in a great spot in the country if you're interested in marketing or brand management at one of the many consumer goods or retail companies located in the midwest (Minneapolis, Chicago, Ohio).

I was really falling in love with the place, but then on my last night there I got an admit to UNC. So, now I almost dread the decision if I'm lucky enough to have a choice.

Anyway, definitely give IU a serious look. Try to make the drive down to Bloomington if you're in Chicago for a Kellogg visit. I think you'd be surprised at how your IU visit stacks up. Purdue is also on the way between CHI and Bloomington.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: CMU, Ross, Kellogg, Case, OSU, Stanford, Kelley

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2010 Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2010, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
how long does it take for the packet to reach us??

its almost a week since i received my admit..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 12:35
Hi Guys,

Has anyone been interviewed for fall 2010 full-time MBA?

- thanks
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 01:59
do we have post for 2010 applicants? I don't find it and there is not much participation in this thread too.

Guys- pls participate if you are applying to kelley you will only get benefitted from this.

I completed my inteview on 2nd dec and it was absolutely basic. If anyone has any question then pm me.

- thanks
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 16:57
I applied in round 1, 11/01
Interviewed 11/09
Accepted 12/21

I'm very excited about getting in! My campus visit to Indiana was incredible, IU became my top choice after my day in Bloomington.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2009, 21:08
ksjhawk wrote:
Interviewed 11/09
Accepted 12/21

I'm very excited about getting in! My campus visit to Indiana was incredible, IU became my top choice after my day in Bloomington.

Congratulations ksjhawk !!!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kelley, Moore, Krannert, Owen

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 15:10
Congrats ksjhawk. I'm a current student at Kelley so feel free to post any questions you have or shoot me a PM. That goes for anyone else as well. BTW, I'm an MU fan but you'll find that KU is represented well at Kelley ... unfortunately :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2009, 15:52
Thanks for the congrats guys, now if only the Hoosiers can come back to their blue-blood basketball status with my Jayhawks. :-D
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: GLOBASE Leadership Team Member (Global Business, Social Enterprise)
WE 1: 4 years, nonprofit administration
WE 2: Internship: Cummins, Inc.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 04:09
ksjhawk wrote:
Interviewed 11/09
Accepted 12/21

Hi ksjhawk, It's good to hear about your recent visit to the campus. First-time poster here, sent in an app. for the January 2010 deadline and got an interview invitation for the adcom's visit to Boston but decided I'd rather combine it with a campus visit at the same time.

Do you mind posting a bit about how the visit went? I haven't flown anywhere yet (this is one of the only schools outside of east coast that I am applying to) and not exactly sure about protocol.

Interesting that there was not enough interest in a separate 2010 Kelley thread.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 09:33
Good luck tcha! Not sure exactly what you're looking for in "protocol," you'll wanna' dress suit-and-tie, but uhh, I'll just go through my experience there.

My visit started with dinner at Nick's (a popular local spot) on Sunday night. Two first-year students paid for dinner and drinks with myself and another prospective. It was very casual, "this is all off the record," and we sort of shared our profiles, interests, etc. Some casual chat about sports and such, but mostly Q&A about Kelley and Bloomington. I had never been there before either. Very welcoming start to the visit, but what struck me the most were the recruiting opportunities these first-years had already seen (this was less than 3 months into their MBA).

On Monday I had a full day mapped out. It started with a campus tour by a second-year student. She was very enthusiastic about Kelley, literally seemed excited to show me around and take my questions. This was a common theme throughout my entire trip, I ran out of questions early but everyone I met prodded me for more. Great facilities, the Godfrey's a huge building entirely dedicated to the MBA program that's almost brand new and has lots of conveniences. Next I had an info session with second-years and members of the adcom staff...made me a bit nervous trying to make the right impression, but again, they were very welcoming. Then Kelley paid for lunch in a small cafeteria with current students. Finally, the interview with a second year student. My interviewer wasn't at all intimidating, went through the standard MBA questions (why now, why Kelley, walk me through your resume, yadayada) followed by more Q&A. On that note, I had to pretend I didn't already have all of my questions answered, haha. I didn't want to sound like I thought I knew everything about the program, but I had been asking questions for so long, my list was well past exhausted. But the interview felt very natural, walked out feeling confident. Finally, sat through a class. The professor seemed eager to meet me, many students sitting around me wanted to say hi and ask about my background, everyone at Kelley just went so far out of their way to get to know me and make me feel welcome (and as a prospective, for all they knew, I could've had a 500 GMAT and 2 years experience at 7-11). Class was very engaging, and I really saw the promoted diversity at work as students reflected on their unique experiences to address the topic at hand. That topic was a case on laminate countertops...it takes quite a professor/class to make that interesting, but sure enough, it was.

As for Bloomington itself, I really liked it. Beautiful (enormous!) campus, Big 10 sports would be fun, and like most college towns, there are always plenty of activities going on. That said, it is what it is...somewhat isolated (1 hour from Indianapolis, 4 from Chitown) and small (over 40,000 students, only 70,000 people in the whole town!). But the current students were very reassuring that Kelley's reputation kept the isolation from hampering career opportunities whatsoever.

Anyway, I'm really not trying to sell you on Kelley, but I found myself comparing my visit to another I had at a slightly higher ranked program and Kelley was just so much more impressive.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: GLOBASE Leadership Team Member (Global Business, Social Enterprise)

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 15:07
Thanks again ksjhawk. I'm excited to have the interview offered (even if it's common for IU applicants) as most of the other schools I applied to are even more selective and I'm a bit worried about my chances there. I've been impressed throughout with the emphasis on a small collegial environment, and especially the access to dedicated faculty. We'll see what happens! Thanks for the story of your visit experience - it sounds great.
Intern
Intern

Calling all 2010 Kelley Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 09:34
Calling all 2010 Kelley Applicants - Please post your experience here
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2010 Kelley Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 12:32
Waitlisted...any advice would be appreciated
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all 2010 Kelley Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 15:33
I got in!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2010 Kelley Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 17:48
I've been admitted for 2010. There's a thread of posts tacked onto the "Calling 2009 Kelley" thread for this year's applicants.

Any moderators out there know whether we can somehow paste those posts onto this thread?
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Calling all 2010 Kelley Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 18:10
Expert's post
ksjhawk wrote:
I've been admitted for 2010. There's a thread of posts tacked onto the "Calling 2009 Kelley" thread for this year's applicants.

Any moderators out there know whether we can somehow paste those posts onto this thread?

Merged over. Unfortunate side effect is that the post can only be ordered in chronologically.

Diversity

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2010 Kelley Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2010, 19:26
ksjhawk wrote:

I am in too!

Cheers
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all 2010 Kelley Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 07:22
If there are any current students observing this topic, I'm heading out to the campus for an interview/visit on Monday 2/1. I'll be flying into Indianapolis the day before if anyone is free and would be interested in meeting up for drinks and/or to provide an admissions-independent perspective on the school.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 08:32
Hi Guys-

I received an admit on 15jan. Yet to receive admit packet to get the scholarship info.
Any other Kelley admit for fall-2010?

- thanks
Re: Calling all Indiana Kelley Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2010, 08:32