Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 15:14
I think 2-3 sounds about right. I was just checking out my essay for last year and in 900 words I spoke about 4 main themes and tied those into specific stuff at Kellogg. With the constrained word limit, 2-3 sounds perfect. Any more than that and you risk not being able to talk about either of the points in depth.

I believe this essay can really be used to show your passion and your fit in Kellogg, so you need to discuss stuff in depth and show how it ties into specific activities at the school.

ACNguy wrote:
OhThatMBA wrote:
Last year, this essay asked us to describe how our "background, values, academics, activities and/or leadership skills will enhance the experience of other Kellogg students," so it was very similar. I approached this from multiple angles, touching aspects of my professional background, personal life and interests. In each case, I tied my argument directly to how I'd add value to Kellogg and its students. So, while I didn't ramble, I did focus on a few key areas, rather than on one core idea.

What I like about the way they reworded this is that they come at it from the angle of a committee member. I.e., the perspective is that of the "buyer", rather than the "seller." To me, that makes this essay even more interesting. With a bit of thought, you could get really creative with this.

With 600 words, what would number of things would you recommend touching on. I would assume no more than 2 or 3, any more than that I see it becoming too much of a laundry list without being able to fully elaborate on your ideas.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 15:53
when talking about themes, any advice on which specific themes to pull out of the arsenal for Kellogg specifically ?
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 16:01
Jerz wrote:
I don't think the new 3rd essay is really all that different than the old 3rd essay. Both are really looking for you to explain how you'll be a valuable and contributing member of the Kellogg community. This just frames it from the perspective of you being on the adcom.

Good, this is how I interpreted it as well.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 17:26
R1 it is.

I eat your big kahuna burger. I eat it up!

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 17:39
Jerz wrote:
In terms of themes, the most important criteria is that they are authentic to who you are as a person. Writing what you think the adcom wants to hear is a great way to get dinged.

Couldn't agree more strongly that authenticity is key. Current and previous students from several schools have hammered this into my head. Rather than spending time overanalyzing what you think adcom wants, I'd spend more time in self-reflection, thinking about why you believe you fit well with the school, why you want an MBA, what you're qualified, the value you'll add to the school, etc. Structure your application so that it's unique to you, not a stencil of what you think a successful application looks like.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 18:33
Thanks guys ! I'll miss you all when youre away at school :cry: :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 18:58
Some will stick around which will be a benefit to all the people here. For some reason, I can see Yale increasing in popularity incredibly on here next year.

Officially finished my first year today. Start work on monday.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 21:57
I will definitely stick round. River and the rest of the guys were lifesavers for me during this process. The least I can do is help out the next batch:)
VP
VP
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 01:56
riverripper wrote:
Some will stick around which will be a benefit to all the people here. For some reason, I can see Yale increasing in popularity incredibly on here next year.

Officially finished my first year today. Start work on monday.

Congrats riverripper!

I'm planning to stick around next year too, although I probably won't be spending all day in chat anymore...

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 11:38
Applying in R2.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford(R2), Haas(R1-WL), Kellog(R1 Accepted), MIT(R1-dinged), Ross(R1-WL but declined)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 08:35
Re-applicant new to this thread here.

I was waitlisted from R2 and got the ding letter last Thursday. Back to to drawing board, but just found out I had to redo all the essays.
I am going take a few days off before I start but have some questions I need help with.

1. Most of the essay questions are identical to last years. (Exception for the Peer evaluation essay). Do I need to
develop new topics for each essay?

2. Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is for re-applicants and any thoughts on how I should approach this?

Thanks in advance and let the games begin...again.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 15:31
I updated the first page with dates...I missed them when they came out...don't know if anyone else did the same. If anyone with mod privileges knows how to put it in a table, feel free.

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 23:24
Looking4MBA wrote:
Re-applicant new to this thread here.

I was waitlisted from R2 and got the ding letter last Thursday. Back to to drawing board, but just found out I had to redo all the essays.
I am going take a few days off before I start but have some questions I need help with.

1. Most of the essay questions are identical to last years. (Exception for the Peer evaluation essay). Do I need to
develop new topics for each essay?

2. Does anyone know what the acceptance rate is for re-applicants and any thoughts on how I should approach this?

Thanks in advance and let the games begin...again.

Hey,

Sorry to hear about the ding. On the flip side at least you know they were seriously considering you. I'm not sure if I would switch essay topics but I would definitely see what needs improvement with my essays (including if necessary, using an admissions consultant).

With the optional essays, I'd consider picking different ones just so the application doesn't look too familiar.

Remember - your main goal should be to show them how you are a better candidate this year than you were the previous one.

Good luck!
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 02:32
I wonder what's up with Kellogg being super popular on gmatclub year after year!

Good luck everyone.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 04:11
krispy wrote:
I wonder what's up with Kellogg being super popular on gmatclub year after year!

Good luck everyone.

We're just a fun loving group of people here at Kellogg - not unlike the Gmatclub :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 10:22
hmm where did you see the new dates? I checked the Kellogg page and it's still saying 2008.

highhopes wrote:
I updated the first page with dates...I missed them when they came out...don't know if anyone else did the same. If anyone with mod privileges knows how to put it in a table, feel free.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 11:00
I'm in.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2009, 15:11
dynabook wrote:
hmm where did you see the new dates? I checked the Kellogg page and it's still saying 2008.

highhopes wrote:

Right you are...I got them from accepted.com, but it looks like they just changed the year on them. Their link goes back to the 2008 dates. I will remove them for now.

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2009, 17:21
highhopes wrote:
dynabook wrote:

highhopes wrote:

Right you are...I got them from accepted.com, but it looks like they just changed the year on them. Their link goes back to the 2008 dates. I will remove them for now.

They are now up officially - looks to be the same as last year.

Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 13:51
Is anyone else having a terrible time trying to fit Essay #1 into 600 words? I feel as though they're trying to get two traditional essays into one with both a rundown of your work experience AND future goals AND why an MBA AND why Kellogg.

What breakdown are you guys/gals going with in terms of percentage of each topic. It says "briefly" describe your work experience, and then the other stuff. It seems silly to only devote like a paragraph to skim your work experience but it sounds like that's what they're looking for...am I crazy?
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 18 Jun 2009, 13:51