Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Texas
Send PM
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink]
I will be applying this week to Texas. I am a former longhorn and can help u guys with any housing related questions u might have!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Yeah, if you missed my long running post on student loans, I'm really looking for something cheap. I'm hoping I can live with at least two other roommates to help defray some of the costs. I spoke with a current student and he mentioned The Triangle as a really cool place to live. Here's the link: https://triangleaustin.com/

I think the 3BR is like $2250 or so, which isn't terrible. I'm also considering a house, which could be $500 or so a person for 3-5 people. What are you thinking?

jb32, the triangle is one of the more expensive places to live. remember, this is texas, 2250 is a lot of money. U can easily get 3 bed-3 bath in west campus for about 1200-1300.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Cool, I'm liking West campus. It looks like a really short walk to class. I'm also hoping to get some piece of crap house for cheap - like $450 a month or so.
Current Student
Send PM
I will also be looking for something cheaper and close to campus. $1300 for a 3/3 in west campus seems like a STEAL to me. I was counting on that price for a 2 bedroom honestly.

I also just took a look at the University owned apartments for graduate students. They have 3 complexes- 2 of which are about 6 miles from campus and 1 of which is about 3 miles away on way west 6th street. Anyone heard anything about these places? They are SUPER cheap and whgile 6 miles from campus is too far for my liking, 3 miles doesn't seem bad. Apparently the UT shuttle picks up at all three university owned apartments and from the one that is 3 miles away its a 10 min shuttle ride to campus. I'd stll rather be walking distance though.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
icon, those are the best places to stay if u r a graduate student. Many of my PhD friends live there. Getting an apartment there is tough. In general, there is always a long wait list. It does help if u r married, as u get preferance. A 2/2 in univ owned apts costed 600 in 2006. I am not sure abt the rents now. Btw, west campus is famous with undergrads. During my masters, I lived in west campus and couldnt sleep on numerous occasions because of all those all-night parties in the neighborhood. I prefer north campus (near engineering school) to west campus. A classier crowd if u ask me!
Current Student
Send PM
traffix wrote:
icon, those are the best places to stay if u r a graduate student. Many of my PhD friends live there. Getting an apartment there is tough. In general, there is always a long wait list. It does help if u r married, as u get preferance. A 2/2 in univ owned apts costed 600 in 2006. I am not sure abt the rents now. Btw, west campus is famous with undergrads. During my masters, I lived in west campus and couldnt sleep on numerous occasions because of all those all-night parties in the neighborhood. I prefer north campus (near engineering school) to west campus. A classier crowd if u ask me!

Still priced right about the same. Seems almost too good to be true. Assuming a person was lucky enough to get off the waiting list to get one, would you reccomend living there over somewhere closer?

I have had numerous people comment to me that North campus would be a great place to live. West campus I am just most familiar with from visiting friends in college etc.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
icon wrote:
Still priced right about the same. Seems almost too good to be true. Assuming a person was lucky enough to get off the waiting list to get one, would you reccomend living there over somewhere closer?

I have had numerous people comment to me that North campus would be a great place to live. West campus I am just most familiar with from visiting friends in college etc.

If u get a Univ apt, there is nuthin like it. The UT shuttle service runs late into the evening. But preferably, u would wanna have a car with u. Parking during the day is a hassle, but evening parking is free. I used to drive back to campus most evenings.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Just to follow up on my previous post, I spoke with the financial aid office today and they said McCombs has the dollar amount for scholarships set, although he did not tell me what it was. We should learn here in the next few weeks about scholarships.
Current Student
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
Just to follow up on my previous post, I spoke with the financial aid office today and they said McCombs has the dollar amount for scholarships set, although he did not tell me what it was. We should learn here in the next few weeks about scholarships.

Well I would hope that we would find out sometime in January being that they asked for an acceptance of the offer by February 15th. Not sure that it affects my decision much one way or another bc I am not expecting anything but still...

Thanks for the update jb.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:McCombs
Send PM
Depending on the sale of my house I might buy a place in Austin. There are some decent 2/2 for sale near campus, and it seems like housing is getting a bit less expensive in Austin lately. Is everyone who got accepted going to be there for preview weekend in April?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
All,
I received admit today. I interviewed on 10th Dec.
My stats - 690/BTech/MS, Operations management.
Indian currently in US

Nagmu
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Congrats Nagmu!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Just submitted my app. This was my last application! Time for UT to show me some alum love!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Nice work Nagmu!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Johnson
 Q49  V41
Send PM
how important is it to visit McCombs? Did anyone get admit without visiting or attending any of their events? Like me, if you can't visit or attend any event, what can you do to show interest?
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
rscricket wrote:
how important is it to visit McCombs? Did anyone get admit without visiting or attending any of their events? Like me, if you can't visit or attend any event, what can you do to show interest?

I'm assuming you are an international applicant? Otherwise, I would try and visit a class or at least do an on campus interview.

If you are an international applicant than I'm pretty sure they understand. I visited campus before submitting my app, then interviewed on campus. Of course I only live three hours from Austin, so I was expected to show them some love.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Johnson
 Q49  V41
Send PM
I live more than a driving distance away in US. Do they expect you to fly? Or can you wait until you get an interview call?

Also with rolling admissions, do the application deadlines matter? I don't think they would, right?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11