Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 09:36
rscricket wrote:
I live more than a driving distance away in US. Do they expect you to fly? Or can you wait until you get an interview call?

Also with rolling admissions, do the application deadlines matter? I don't think they would, right?

If you are in US,better to visit them once. either before submitting the app or for the interview.

Deadlines might matter for International applicants since the Intl office will need to prepare the I20 once u get an admit.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 10:01
With rolling admission they admit people for the class in the order they applied. Borderlines are waitlisted. When the class is full, that's it. So, I would apply as early as you can - assuming your essays are ready.

And yes, I would advise visiting if you are serious about McCombs - at least once. Otherwise it looks like you are just applying to a bunch of places and the school doesn't know you are serious about them unless you put in some effort?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 08:33
has anyone here not heard back yet that interviewed in early nov.?
Current Student
Schools: Texas

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 08:38
gt7er wrote:
has anyone here not heard back yet that interviewed in early nov.?

i have two friends, both interviewed in early november and both heard back before christmas. one of those friends was an international applicant. i interviewed dec 1 and heard back dec 19. co-worker that interviewed in in early december was accepted day before yesterday. those are all the people that i know from outside gmatclub. hopefully that gives some insight for you.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 08:40
ok thanks...
Current Student
Schools: Texas

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 08:57
gt7er wrote:
ok thanks...

are you still waiting? did you interview early november? hang in there. one of those applicants was dinged. so, if they weren't interested they would have already dinged you by now i would guess. i think the wait means that you are at very least in the ballgame, which is good!

in speaking with a couple of students involved in admissions at mccombs this is a super competitive year and applications are up quite a bit there (no specific numbers). that may be slowing the process down for a lot of people.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 09:04
yea i interviewed nov. 10th...im thinking that maybe im not good enough to get in but not bad enough to outright get rejected....

i guess they're comparing my app with other people? or maybe they just lost mine...haha.

anyways i guess we'll see what happesn...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2009, 11:55
Ntang wrote:
Anyone else applying R1?

Texas is one of my two safeties. Looks like a fine place to pursue a dual degree, but it doesn't fit all the items on my wishlist. On the other hand, I hear Austin rocks. And their application fee website doesn't take Visa? Seriously?

I went to UT for undergrad, for awhile we got charge 1.5% fee for using a credit card to pay tuition. But I couldn't complain, UT was still by far the cheapest school for me.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 13:13
All,
I have few following questions regarding McCombs:
1) What kind of background checks are needed for admit students
2) When it is safe to quit job
3) What kind of financial aid is provided to students

Best of luck and thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 14:12
nagmu wrote:
All

Best of luck and thanks

Mostly verification of employment and any criminal record will be done as part of background check.

Quitting a job is an individual decision.Some quit their jobs in May and go for vacation.Entirely personal thing.

Any current student or adcom can answer your financial aid question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2009, 15:53
From what I have heard, most schools employ Kroll to verify ur background. However, the process is very simple and shouldnt be a huge issue unless u have hidden truth/blatantly lied to adcom. Some schools dont even have background checks. U can always verify with the school as to whether ur backgroud check is complete before quitting your job.

For financial aid, there is alot of information available in the vault and I would recommend that you read that.

nagmu wrote:
All,

Best of luck and thanks

Traffic never sleeps...

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 11:36
I'm in. Got a call on Saturday. No word on scholarship money yet, but presumably it'll be in the admit package. I interviewed on 12/12.

Not planning to attend, but it's a nice confidence booster.
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2011

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 11:45
NTang, Congrats.

Im in too. Got a mail on Saturday. No info on Schols yet. Interviewed on 12/14 with an alum at Chicago.

Im currently inclined toward SOM.

- Graffiti

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 11:55
Question and congrats for all of you who got in: r u required to pay some kind of deposit any time soon to confirm that u will be attending?

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 12:44
The deposit is $750 due on Feb. 15th, but the date may be different if you only got in recently. Someone else confirm?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 18:57
anyone attending the Texas Friday this friday?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 12:24
Just got the call. I'm in. I have until mid MArch for my deposit. Not sure how much this has lifted my spirits after the ding from Stanford earlier today. It is a nice confidence booster...
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 12:26
wolffali wrote:
Just got the call. I'm in. I have until mid MArch for my deposit. Not sure how much this has lifted my spirits after the ding from Stanford earlier today. It is a nice confidence booster...

Congrats, but I'm guessing you're going to Cornell instead?
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 12:40
jb32, nice avatar...if you had that a couple months ago, I probably would have applied to McCombs!

Sorry for the OT post, as you were...
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2009, 12:46
hey Mav, stop copying my avatar!
Re: Calling all Texas (McCombs) Fall '09 applicants!   [#permalink] 22 Jan 2009, 12:46