Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:UCLA Anderson '12
 Q42  V40 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Tech Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Anderson, Haas, Johnson
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Schools:UCLA- Accepted, Northwestern- Waitlisted, UChicago- Denied w/ interview, Harvard, most likely Denied
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Calling all UCLA Anderson Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
I didn't visit Anderson, have never been to Westwood, LA, and I agree, allowing direct contact with AdCom would be corrupt.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:Wharton (ding), Kellogg (WL -ding), CBS (ding w/ int), Yale (int invite - ding), Anderson (in), Booth (int invite - ding)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
KGY wrote:
Quick question to all the accepted applicants.

have any of you not visited the campus and not have made direct connections with the adcom at anderson.

I m trying to understand if it is mandatory to visit or initiate direct conversation with adcom apart from talking to students, alum etc

I am from LA and did not spend too much time at Anderson to get a feel for what it's like. I went to one information session, just so I can say that I did so, but I never sat through a class or contacted a student.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
 Q48  V44
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: High Tech Product Development
WE 2: Technical Consulting
WE 3: Nonprofit Leadership / Board Development
Send PM
I got accepted but I didn't sign up for any of the info sessions, visit any classes or attend any of the presentations hosted by the Admissions Office. I did interact very closely with an UCLA alum throughout (and even prior) to the admission process, who was incidentally my senior at undergrad. And I interviewed on-campus even though I had the option of interviewing with an alum in my city (not in California).
Intern
Intern
Concentration: marketing
Schools:Anderson, Marshall
GMAT 2: 650 GMAT 3: 700
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
bear in mind: a visit to the campus will only help you insofar as it helps you get a better picture for the school and what it's all about. You'd still need to show in your essays & interviews what makes the school a fit for what you want to do. Simply visiting the school won't score you any points with the adcom. Attending an info session (a few years ago) helped me understand the school, but I don't believe they took note on whether or not I came to an info session or not when considering my application. best of luck to the WL'ers - a friend of mine is WL'd... i hope she gets in!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q48  V49
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Did anyone receive their admission packet yet? It's been a week...figured it would have made it's way down the 405 by now.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
 Q48  V44
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: High Tech Product Development
WE 2: Technical Consulting
WE 3: Nonprofit Leadership / Board Development
Send PM
@Demonic11: I have a feeling that it's only the admission decisions that were released a week ahead of schedule. It's likely that their "5 business days" limit for the packet to arrive started after the official decision release date of March 31st (assuming you were admitted in Rd2).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: finance
 Q30  V29 GMAT 2: 610  Q39  V35
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
hey Guys, i already applied to UCLA and USC and i wonder if you already heard someone being accepted at UCLA or USC with a GMAT score of 610 (long story)? I am french, work in finance as a trader, and i already have a master of science in finance with a GPA of 3.73...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Did you apply in Round 3? I'm sure it's happened but given the competitive environment at these California schools, it's probably low probability b/c of your GMAT score. I mean, UCLA is a public school with an average GMAT of nearly 720 - that is pretty rare among public schools. It's by no means a requirement but definitely serves as an indicator.

To answer your question, no, I have not heard of it. Every UCLA student and alumn that I personally know scored 670 and up. The guy with the 670 applied back in 2004 also, when overall averages were lower.

rsound wrote:
hey Guys, i already applied to UCLA and USC and i wonder if you already heard someone being accepted at UCLA or USC with a GMAT score of 610 (long story)? I am french, work in finance as a trader, and i already have a master of science in finance with a GPA of 3.73...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ok, thanks for answering... And i guess the fact that i am french doesn't change anything?(there isn't a lot of western europeans, expect english at these schools...)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
The average doesn't matter when deciphering whether it has happened before.

Pretty sure the range is high 500's so rsound does have a chance :) Slim, yes. But a chance nonetheless.

Keep up the hope and if I were you, post application, I would study and re-take the GMAT and send them your updated/improved score!

duuuma wrote:
Did you apply in Round 3? I'm sure it's happened but given the competitive environment at these California schools, it's probably low probability b/c of your GMAT score. I mean, UCLA is a public school with an average GMAT of nearly 720 - that is pretty rare among public schools. It's by no means a requirement but definitely serves as an indicator.

To answer your question, no, I have not heard of it. Every UCLA student and alumn that I personally know scored 670 and up. The guy with the 670 applied back in 2004 also, when overall averages were lower.

rsound wrote:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
i'm gonna put my beret and take my baguette, then I'll go to the church and pray... lol At least i did a great job with the video (I hope they'll like it).

I took it 3 times; 1st time i canceled the score, 2nd 500... I had worked really really hard so I was pissed, then some friends told me that i had probably ADHD (i didn't even know what it was...). Got diagnosed, took medication and took again the test: 610.

Big improvement you could say, but i didn't feel good during the last test because of the medication... So i am kind of frustrated about my score. Despite that, i can't take it again, i prefer to kill myself. Anyway, it would have been to late for this year.

So, you know what followed, i applied, doing my best for the essays but now, I am worried about this @#$ score... and May 15th sounds really far away...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Did you explain your testing abilities in the additional essays?

A 600+ score is NOT the end of the world. The 500 was bad. But the 610 is respectable. Your 610 score is not going to be an ultimate nail in the coffin if your other areas are strong (and your GPA/Masters...etc all look strong).

Relax and enjoy the process and whatever is meant to happen will :)

If you don't get in, improve your "story" and reapply R1 next year since the R3 application is probably the biggest thing going against you.

Best of luck!

rsound wrote:
i'm gonna put my beret and take my baguette, then I'll go to the church and pray... lol At least i did a great job with the video (I hope they'll like it).

I took it 3 times; 1st time i canceled the score, 2nd 500... I had worked really really hard so I was pissed, then some friends told me that i had probably ADHD (i didn't even know what it was...). Got diagnosed, took medication and took again the test: 610.

Big improvement you could say, but i didn't feel good during the last test because of the medication... So i am kind of frustrated about my score. Despite that, i can't take it again, i prefer to kill myself. Anyway, it would have been to late for this year.

So, you know what followed, i applied, doing my best for the essays but now, I am worried about this @#$ score... and May 15th sounds really far away...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Je suis desolee mon ami, I didn't mean to sound discouraging. I'm just going by my own experience and that of alumni I've spoken to. I want to give it to you bluntly like others have given it to me, a 610 isn't a great score, just like my 670 wasn't a great score. Definitely not the only factor, but is it a difficult uphill battle you're fighting when your score falls that far below that of an average candidate AND you're applying when there are typically less spots available? Definitely.

And of course, the average doesn't indicate whether it has happened before. But I think the point of this forum is to help increase your odds of landing an interview by submitting a competitive application. Look at the admitted folks (competitors) in this thread and you can already see there isn't a single GMAT score below 690.

One thing I've been told is that you never try to explain a low GMAT score in your essays, so be careful about that. Reason being, there's really nothing to say about a score, and anything you write will sound like an excuse or a complaint. Just like there's nothing to be said about getting a good GMAT score in the essays either.

IF you don't get it this year, don't be discouraged. I've taken the GMAT 3 times in my life and had to hire a consultant to reapply this year so I know what you're feeling. That's just how competitive this process is. It paid off though as I (finally) got in, and with nearly a full scholarship. This forum will help you better prepare and improve your GMAT, and it'll also provide support if you have to reapply. Feel free to reach out to me if it doesn't work out this year and you're set on getting into UCLA.

Bon chance!

rsound wrote:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
For roll call purposes, even though I withdrew about a week before the deadline, I got an email today congratulating me on my admission and connecting me to current students, so I think I was admitted before the withdraw was processed. Hopefully that means one more spot for the WLers.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
 Q47  V42
WE 1: 3 Yrs Sell Side Research
Send PM
Have any of the Rd 3 applicants actually heard anything yet?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:USC
Send PM
Applied R3, and haven't heard anything, either.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Also applied R3... no response yet.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32  ...  35