Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 373 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance & Strategic Management
Schools:Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
 Q50  V41
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton 2011 Applicants [#permalink]
I disagree. If the experience is truly strong and moving, I think that sincerity can overcome aiming slightly left or right of the question. It's all about how you draft your essay too. It may not appear to answer the question initially but if you can make the connection to the "intent" of the question, I think you are fine.

A powerful, visceral, personal experience that is slightly off-mark is more valuable than an ordinary, "check the box" answer many people provide. Don't be afraid to take a chance if you think you need that make-or-break aspect to your application. Remember, the adcom's primary goal of the essays is to get to know who YOU are and these questions are just prompts to do that. There is no right or wrong answer. I say go for it.

Originally posted by CarpathianRidge on 02 Oct 2010, 08:25.
Last edited by CarpathianRidge on 02 Oct 2010, 10:04, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I do think it demonstrates the essay was recycled from another app if you're not directly answering the question but are directly answering another textbook MBA essay question

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Does Wharton require an official copy of the GMAT score prior to the round's deadline?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
CarpathianRidge wrote:
I disagree. If the experience is truly strong and moving, I think that sincerity can overcome aiming slightly left or right of the question. It's all about how you draft your essay too. It may not appear to answer the question initially but if you can make the connection to the "intent" of the question, I think you are fine.

A powerful, visceral, personal experience that is slightly off-mark is more valuable than an ordinary, "check the box" answer many people provide. Don't be afraid to take a chance if you think you need that make-or-break aspect to your application. Remember, the adcom's primary goal of the essays is to get to know who YOU are and these questions are just prompts to do that. There is no right or wrong answer. I say go for it.

In my experience Wharton is very strict about the questions it asks and the stuff that deviates from them. Their essays are very different for a reason. That essay specifically tries to figure out how you work with PEOPLE. Because that is key to Wharton's culture. Talk about something other than that and they will think you are ducking the question. You can pick 3 out of 4 essays, if this one doesn't fit, can you do another one?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
 Q49  V38
Send PM
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
In my experience Wharton is very strict about the questions it asks and the stuff that deviates from them. Their essays are very different for a reason. That essay specifically tries to figure out how you work with PEOPLE. Because that is key to Wharton's culture. Talk about something other than that and they will think you are ducking the question. You can pick 3 out of 4 essays, if this one doesn't fit, can you do another one?

I would disagree. I had to overcome a challenging developmental problem that was at the center of how I interacted with others because it fundamentally altered the way I viewed myself. Navigating my personal relationship with myself was, in fact, the beginning of my ability to engage those around me. While 'managing relationships with others' does feature in my essay, my personal relationship with myself is the heart and meat of it. I am not trying to proselytize or defend my essay here, but it's all subject to how you present your argument.
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I think the healthy argument we've had proves my point that you can only speculate at best as to how ad com would perceive an essay deviating from the actual question.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Random thought: airport layovers are the best place to work on essays - the busy humdrum allows for focused writing, but with a sense of urgency to finish before takeoff.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
gkumar wrote:
Random thought: airport layovers are the best place to work on essays - the busy humdrum allows for focused writing, but with a sense of urgency to finish before takeoff.

lol, that was very random.

I completely agree with you. Especially a 2 or 3 hour layovers (not enough time to really venture out of the airport, but not short enough to just turn on your iPod for a quick song or two)...I know I've produced a couple of my drafts using layovers.
Current Student
 Q50  V41
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
Does Wharton require an official copy of the GMAT score prior to the round's deadline?

No
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I'm pretty much done! (it's past midnight here).

I'm going to take the time all day to review last minute changes before I hit the submit button tomorrow.

Good luck everyone! I've decided not to re-write my essay #4, but rather, tailored it a bit more so that it addresses the question more clearly.
Manager
Manager
Schools: NYU-R1 wait-list w/iv , Wharton-R2 (summer-waitlist; fall2010), INSEAD R2 (jan'11), CBS fall 2011 ED
 Q49  V38
Send PM
gkumar wrote:

As does drinking a lot of water and, well, sitting tight till you get it right. My failure essay would have been a lot less passionate otherwise. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
xerox wrote:
staind wrote:
xerox wrote:
Wharton's engineered a surprise for applicants this year. Any guesses?

Something to do with the interview? It seems to be too late to spring surprises on the application itself!

Yes, the interview will be different.

Any more info you can give us???

Also, to bump staind's question, what is the usual timetable with regards to notification of interview invites, etc.?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Send PM
In for Round 1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
My re-application has just been submitted for Round1. Off to the races again :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Submission Status: Submitted
Submitted Date: 10/3/2010 7:29:00 PM EST
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
MBAgirl2010 wrote:
My re-application has just been submitted for Round1. Off to the races again :)

Best of luck MBAgirl2010 and adalfu! Can you both add your names to the spreadsheet if you haven't already? Can't wait to submit tomorrow, want to take one last look.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Submitted for R1 (Re-Applicant from '09). Best of luck to everyone in R2. One interesting note was the 'headers' Wharton's "Print Your App" button adds to the top of each page of your essays. For example, the Optional-1 question had the header "Engagement" -- I thought it was interesting to see the context in which the AdCom might be looking at each essay.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13  ...  167   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts