Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 01:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Fall 2008 Bards and yesteryear writers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Calling Fall 2008 Bards and yesteryear writers [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 16:58
Hi Guys,
I am working on some top school essays as many of you are. I am at a loss to express myself briefly...
For example...Kellogg asks us to "Briefly" assess our career progress in 1-2 double spaced pages. Now is it 2 sides or 4 sides.

I request you all (those in my clan and the likes of Rhyme, Pelihu and others) to please respond and share so we learn and grow.
Please act as our (Fall 2008 ers) beacon.

FYI: The schools I am working for R1 are:
MIT
Kellogg
Chicago
Michigan
Thanks Guys
Vijay
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 17:13
I am planning on applying to 3 of the same schools as you and I am also having a hard time with limits too. Kellogg's first questions is very tough, Chicago gives you 1500 words but K's 2 pages double spaced (SINGLE SIDE ONLY) is nothing. My first draft was WAY too long and still basically talked about my current career progress. I want to focus more on my future since its where my passion is.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 01:16
Ha ha ha! I know what you mean man! First of all, the specifics:

1. two pages = 2 sides
2. font size = size 10

Let me guess: Your essay has 1 1/2 pages of just career progress right? Even I was in the same boat. You happily finish listing out and explaining your career achievements and then realize that you went past the word limit 200 words ago. Trust me, the Kellogg essays have pretty liberal word limits. You should see the HBS essays....pure hell, I tell you.

To answer your question, I just painted broad strokes on my career progress to date. So I didn't really go into too much of the details. I guess there is really no other way around it. You write the first draft and then edit it and then re-edit it and then re-edit it....... (you get the picture right?!;)) till you are within the word limit.

Oh, and before I forget, you can shorten your sentences by just reorganizing them a little.
1. Use active voice as opposed to passive (e.g. My company promoted me can be written as I was promoted)
2. Use collective nouns wherever possible (e.g. I was recognized for my efforts by my manager, VP and eventually my SVP can be written as I was recognized for my efforts by senior management)

Hope that helped!
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 01:35
kripalkavi wrote:
1. Use active voice as opposed to passive (e.g. My company promoted me can be written as I was promoted)

actually, saying "My company promoted me" is active voice, and "I was promoted" is passive voice. :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [0], given: 14

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 01:38
I'm finally understanding this word/page limit thing ;) my OUTLINE is longer than the Haas word limit already!

I highly suggest you get "Elements of Style" and "65 Successful Harvard Business School Essays" to see how people can express their goals and other essays in 300-500 words. It's quite inspiring to read some of those essays. They sound matter-of-fact and still get everything across. Read it and it should help!

My goal right now is to hack and slash my Haas essays down to within the word limit...
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 08:04
kripalkavi wrote:

Bzzzttt, wrong! :wink:
You meant, "Use passive voice over active voice to save on words". Although this idea may work in saving a few words, active voice is usually simpler and more straight-forward. And I seriously doubt that using passive voice can really save you enough words to justify this "more complex way of forming sentences". So, although I understand that sometimes passive voice makes sense, but my recommendation would be to not use it for the sake of it or to save 2-3 words.
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 08:46
dabots wrote:
actually, saying "My company promoted me" is active voice, and "I was promoted" is passive voice. :wink:

Oh well, I guess my GMAT SC skills are rusty :) Thanks for the heads up!

mneo wrote:
Bzzzttt, wrong! Wink
You meant, "Use passive voice over active voice to save on words". Although this idea may work in saving a few words, active voice is usually simpler and more straight-forward. And I seriously doubt that using passive voice can really save you enough words to justify this "more complex way of forming sentences". So, although I understand that sometimes passive voice makes sense, but my recommendation would be to not use it for the sake of it or to save 2-3 words.

Point taken mneo. Thank you.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 09:12
If you're looking for advice on how to cut your essays, try to look at some journalism guides. When writing newspaper articles, you regularly cut out 75% of what you put down. It really focuses your message, and forces you to get right to the point.

For the purposes of writing your career essays, try to focus both your language and your message. Talk about only what is important and leave out the smaller details if they don't fit. Then, use tell it in a focused concise manner.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2007, 19:43
Thanks for the input guys...we will trudge along.....
Riverripper....I guess it is good to know that we have company..but the sooner we figure the essays out the better....I read in your blog that you told your bosses about your potential move...I am exactly in a similar situation and will be telling my director by the end of this month...
By the way...anyone planning to visit MIT through the Ambassadors program....I am going on Oct 4...
  [#permalink] 19 Aug 2007, 19:43