Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Chicago Booth 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
 Q45  V46
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: Oil and gas
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Chicago Booth - R2 / Kellogg - R2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Concentration: PE/VC, Finance, General Management
Schools:MIT Sloan, Chicago (WL - dinged), Yale SOM, , Tuck (WL - withdrawn)
 Q44  V44
Re: Calling Fall 2010 Chicago Booth Applicants [#permalink]
for the roll call, was dinged off the waitlist. congrats to those accepted. matriculating to yale som.
Current Student
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg; Ross ($$); Tuck
 Q48  V38
Send PM
enny wrote:
waitlisted... now waiting on Darden.

any lurking gmatcluber ADMIT/WAITLIST from Africa?

Humm

I'm also interested to know if GC has any admit from africa....
Enny which country are you from?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Guys

For roll call purposes

29/M/750/7 WE in Big Four audit/Decent ECs

Waitlisted!

Do we have stat as to how many of R1 applicant got waitlisted and out of them how many got accepted/ dinged?

Thanks to all especially Rhyme!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
could we find out if there are any round2 or waitlist admits from Singapore?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:Ross R2
GPA: 3.0
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Private Equity
Send PM
Dinged, wasn't that high on the culture so not too heartbreaking. Best of luck to those on the waitlist and congrats to those who made it in!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [11]
Send PM
Kudos
This is dedicated to hopefulbadger, Johnngalt, quantconerns and all the Chicago Waitlists...

I was a R1 Waitlist who got an admit yesterday.

I totally understand how it is to be in the morally depressing limbo state called waitlist. But now when i look back at the last 3 months, it has been a true test to find the answer for,"How desperately and stubbornly one wants an admit?". There is only one word which truly describes this dogmatic, arrogant stupidity - "sisu" (finnish term :). try reading about it in wikipedia. It might pep up the morale a bit, atleast for me it did)

So, the most important point to be remembered before approaching the waitlist process is to firmly believe that this is just a minor setback due to some misunderstanding because of which Booth hasn't been able to appreciate you and extend an admit.

1. With that thought in mind, first try to figure out the gaps in your application. And for this, just don't hesitate to badger all individuals who can help you (don't make it obvious though). If you think somebody in gmatclub can review your application, then send a mail to them. Do not hesitate. Try contacting first year students in Booth, club representative and recent alumnis.

Just ensure that you have atleast 3-4 individuals who review your application and provide critical comments. (and it should definitely hurt when you receive them. But its ok, this is a chance to correct it)

2. Once you collate all the comments, do an impartial review of your whole application. (implies 'be ruthless' ). Figure out the gaps based on all comments.

3. Now identify how you can address those gaps. For this the most important point to be captured as part of Step.1 is, make sure to ask the reviewers how you could address those critical comments in your update essay. For ex, there could be one comment that the essay lacks emotional touch. Get clarification from them as whether you could correlate any of your personal characteristics with Chicago Booth culture.

4. Once you identify how to address the gaps, ensure that you send the materials with a defined time interval. For ex, if the waitlist period is 3 months, try sending an update once a month. The key here is constant touch.

5. Regarding the additional materials, i believe that an update essay is an absolute must to address the various gaps. Also share all the achievements in your life after the application was submitted. This could be anything from influencing European Union to raising funds for a school kid. Just make sure it gives an additional perspective to your application.

Apart from the update essay, try sending 1 or 2 powerful recommendation notes. Powerful implies somebody whose opinion will be valued by the school and will obviously strengthen your application. The one obvious candidate is an older alumni who is still in touch with the School.
Now the risk here is, no such alumni will give a reco note just like that to an unknown applicant. But the point is, there is nothing to lose by taking this risk. If you know somebody, whose friend's friend's boss is a Booth alumni, try contacting them. Try explaining your case to them and have an interview again with them. After all, there is a 50% chance that it might click. :)

I hope the above points will be helpful to all of you.

Coming to my case, I did three main things.

1. A few days after receiving the waitlist info, i sent a 6 line mail before Dec 25th stating that i am happy to be waitlisted, how i will be sharing additional info in the coming days and then wished them happy holidays.

2. Sent one update waitlist essay (nearly 2 pages long) - it involved the following points, 1. why Booth is the right choice from a personal and future goals perspective, 2. interactions with various alumni and info received from them. 3. career front update - luckily, i had a few patents filed in the last 6 months after submitting the R1 App.
-> For this, i had my initial essay reviewed by quite a few individuals including two in gmatclub. And infact, one gmatclub member reviewed my waitlist essay as well. (Remember, i identified that nothing can be altered with Essay 2 and PPT. So the only thing i got it reviewed is Essay 1.)

3. Apart from this, i contacted a Class 80's Booth alumni through another alumni. Had an interview with him. He was impressed with my case.
He sent a reco note to admissions stating the reasons as why and how i would be a great addition to Class-2012 and beyond. (apparently, this is the first time he's recommending someone till date)

I believe that while the update essay might have given a lot of additional positive reasons, the amazing reco note from a powerful alumni definitely would have tilted the waitlist into an admit.

And the thing which i missed sending is, an update on my extracurricular front. So, if you want, you can actually split your waitlist essay into two parts - one for professional front and other for EC.

Those are my 2 cents.

Wish you all goodluck.

Btw, to ease the pain of waitlist period, i took up Half Marathon training (and also raised funds for underprivileged children). It is highly recommended :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, Accounting
Schools:Oxford MFE (Accepted & Attending), Columbia ED (rejected), Chicago (Round 1, 2, 3 waitlist --> Rejected), Toronto (Accepted)
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Just looked at my e-mail expecting another rejection...

Waitlist Round 1 --> Waitlist Round 2 (Is this common?)

Looks like the people at Booth are dying for some talented Canadians to apply in the later rounds so they can finally get rid of me. Either that or they're still having fun looking at my PPT presentation once every 3 months...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Reality wrote:
rhyme wrote:
Rhyme's I'm Lazy 540 second guide to Waitlists.

Those of you that remember last year may know that Booth had a higher than expected yield, resulting in an intake well over their usual target. This created some real problems,from logistical (how to fit the extra students into lead), to even structural (e.g. not enough lockers). As such, it wouldn't come as a surprise to me if this year they are playing the numbers a little closer to the chest. One class thats "too big" is one thing -- two classes that are too big would yield some serious challenges.

Thus, don't be overly discouraged by a waitlist -- even if it does kind of sting.

My advice? The people who tend to get off the waitlist are the people who bother to keep in touch. This means sending more than a single update letter now and then just sitting back and waiting until the end of time.

If you intend to stay on the waitlist, send a statement to that effect to the school. Put a little thought into it - re-iterate your interest - and close with your continued enthusiasm. If you intend to go somewhere else, do the right thing and take yourself off the list. Too many people stay on just "too see" in some kind of half-hearted effort to collect admits like they are some kind of badge of honor (as you'll soon see, no one gives a crap where you got admitted).
My hats off to the one guy who already said he'd pull himself. Good on you.

Now assuming that you ARE staying on the list, my advice would be to continue to send updates every 2 to 3 months. Feel free to send in whatever you think might be of value to the admissions committee, but try to add something new to your application if you can. Absolutely send updates involving promotions, material change in responsibilities, etc. If you have no idea what to say, consider reaching out to alumni or current students and discuss how your conversation with those people either reinforced something you already knew or perhaps introduced you to a new aspect about Booth that interests you. Visiting again (assuming youv'e visited) won't do you much good. Visit if you want to, or if it costs you next to nothing, but don't go out of your way to do so. There isn't a secret checkbox that says "Visited more than once" on the application.

Thats my five hundred and fourty second allotment timer dinging at me.

Thanks for the advice, Rhyme. Should we also try to send additional recommendations?

Would it be okay to give my interviewer a call to get her advice?

Additional recs are acceptable, but I caution people that it's only really worthwhile if you think that itll add some new dimension to your application. If its simply a biolerplate copy of prior recs (reguritating the same points) it wont say much that they didn't already know, and won't do much for you (or against you either). Some people say "Well if it can't hurt, then why not try?" (Which to me is the same argument as "Well I'll go to church just in case god is real, and if he isn't then whatever, I'm hedged anyway") -- but there is a cost, first your time, and second theirs. It could be that your time is better spent talking to alumni / students, etc instead of coaching someone into writing a solid rec (who, by definition, was clearly not your top choice in the first place)... So, think about it, and if you think that a new recommendation from someone really adds some new dimension to your app, then go for it, otherwise I'd focus your energy elsewhere.

As for calling your interviewer, that depends on how well you got to know them - I think a call out of the blue might be a bit over the top, I'd probably recommend a polite email asking them if they can spare a few minutes to provide some guidance and advice. Let them tell you if they wanna chat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
GPA: 3.7
WE 1: 1.5 years in Banking/Capital Markets
WE 2: ~1 year in financial services/risk mgmt
Send PM
have any accepted students receievd their login information, etc..?? I haven't and need to figure out if I can attend both admit weekends (booth and kellogg)..is that possible to do?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:Stanford (R1--dinged), Berkeley (R1--dinged), Booth (R2--int), Columbia (R2--dinged), Ross (R2--admit w/$)
Send PM
Kudos
For roll call purposes, I was waitlisted too. Ouch. I have a full scholarship to Ross, so can't complain too much. I was really keen on Booth's more quantitative, rigorous approach though.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
For the rollcall-dinged off waitlist. This was not unexpected as I put in next to no effort to get off the waitlist (a combo of being accepted at a place I like combined with sheer exhaustion). Good luck to all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg, Booth, Columbia
 Q44  V44
WE 1: Consumer research
Send PM
masscool wrote:
After all the dings or waitlists and bruising, has anyone actually decided to NOT go to business school, not get an MBA, save their 180K, and work in their career without the 2-year-vacation?

This is a serious consideration of mine. I know we all have to be gung-ho motivated chirpy happy little applications, but life is real too.

noway! i'm not giving up!!

kudos to afan! thank you Booth for not having dinged me!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
From a sample of 10 applicants in Brazil that I know, 1 got accepted and 9 got Waitlisted. None was dinged! Is it possible that they only put everybody here that interviewed and was not approved on Waitlist? Anyone from Brazil on this forum that was dinged today?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Kellogg (Admitted), Chicago, LBS
 Q43  V41 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V41
GPA: 3.0
Send PM
taleite wrote:
From a sample of 10 applicants in Brazil that I know, 1 got accepted and 9 got Waitlisted. None was dinged! Is it possible that they only put everybody here that interviewed and was not approved on Waitlist? Anyone from Brazil on this forum that was dinged today?

Hi, teleite - I'm from Brazil, and one of my friends from São Paulo (Fernanda is her first name) got accepted yesterday. But just as you said, I haven't heard of anyone from Brazil who hes been dinged after being interviewed. Should that be a good sign? Here's hoping...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Darden, Duke($), Emory($$$), Booth(int), Ross(int), MIT
 Q50  V42
Send PM
marcioguilherme wrote:
taleite wrote:

Hi, teleite - I'm from Brazil, and one of my friends from São Paulo (Fernanda is her first name) got accepted yesterday. But just as you said, I haven't heard of anyone from Brazil who hes been dinged after being interviewed. Should that be a good sign? Here's hoping...

I'm another Brazilian in the waitlist.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
ding
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]