Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Can you ask for a scholarship?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 20:54
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I've never seen this question discussed...if one did not get a scholarship, but say got one from another school. Is it ok to go back to a adcom and ask for a scholarship?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
I've never seen this question discussed...if one did not get a scholarship, but say got one from another school. Is it ok to go back to a adcom and ask for a scholarship?

Hey jjd. I would think that asking overtly would be seen as gauche. But, if you said something like "I'm really interested in your school X because it has lots of programs that would help me advance my career, but other school Y would be financially easier for me at this point. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could look for scholarship money to help me attend school X?" I would think it probably won't get you very far, but you never know - tact goes a long way.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 11:38
rjacobs wrote:
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

Hey jjd. I would think that asking overtly would be seen as gauche. But, if you said something like "I'm really interested in your school X because it has lots of programs that would help me advance my career, but other school Y would be financially easier for me at this point. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could look for scholarship money to help me attend school X?" I would think it probably won't get you very far, but you never know - tact goes a long way.

I agree that this is probably the most tactful approach. Kudos.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 20:03
Actually, no, you can ask.

First say something about financial package being an important factor in your decision and ask them under what circumstances, if any, they're willing to reconsider your package. They might engage you right there or they might tell you what you need to do next.

I've heard of the following situations:

* "What? You want more? Hold on......how about $10k more?" (This was on the phone, and I think it was actually a return call the next day, but you get the idea.)

* You need to provide us updated financial info showing your need.

* Everyone who applies is spending big money to do this, so financial need is not a consideration. However, if you believe there are merit-based reasons that you deserve more scholarship money, you may write a letter to the scholarship committee outlining your qualifications. This should be information about you that is not already in your application.

I think situation 3 is the most common. Some board members have been successful in their pleas, and some have not.

I say go ahead and ask - it's not like they're going to revoke the acceptance. As long as you're not a jerk about it, you have nothing to lose. Playing coy is unlikely to get you anywhere.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 20:12
Hmm... are we sure they couldn't pull back a admit based on asking?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 20:15
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Hmm... are we sure they couldn't pull back a admit based on asking?

I have never, ever heard of that.

and why would they? they've admitted you, and you've made a simple, reasonable request.

are you being a jerk, or are you bring polite?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 20:18
of course polite. I've never really seen many posts on the forum actually asking this question.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 20:26
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
of course polite. I've never really seen many posts on the forum actually asking this question.

there was a lengthy-ish discussion last year, and one the year before. i probably posted on both of them, but can't remember much else by way of extra search clues.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 06:52
Aaudetat -

Would you recommend calling, or emailing the AdCom if you were going to ask to be reconsidered for some financial assistance? I am thinking about asking Duke, as I just received their package and was slightly disappointed (although still very happy to be admitted!) not be awarded any money. I don't have a huge amount of savings, so every little bit helps.

~Sam
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 07:03
aaudetat wrote:
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:

there was a lengthy-ish discussion last year, and one the year before. i probably posted on both of them, but can't remember much else by way of extra search clues.

you may find aaudetat's posts in this thread from the knowledge vault.

123-p422566?t=58749
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 07:46
I plan to ask the adcoms at my top three options for additional aid. Schools X and Y are essentially tied, rank-wise... school Z is a few notches below, but it's an in-state school, which would obviously be significantly cheaper (and thus more attractive) for me to attend.

The question I'm facing is, after shamelessly selling myself just to get into each of these schools, what possible new merits do I have to showcase that would affect their aid offers? The only thing I can think of is that nearer the deposit deadline, their pool of available aid money will have replenished somewhat as other admits decline the school's offer to go elsewhere, freeing up their awards for others. Maybe it would pay to hold off until March to start asking for more cash? Does that make any sense?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship? [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2009, 08:09
Ntang wrote:
The question I'm facing is, after shamelessly selling myself just to get into each of these schools, what possible new merits do I have to showcase that would affect their aid offers?

I bet you can come up with other selling points. For example, I discussed coming from a working class background and how important that made education for me, and thus how committed I would be to the experience. I also talked about contributions to the community that I planned to make. You might look at essays for XY to get ideas for Z, and vice versa.

Ntang wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that nearer the deposit deadline, their pool of available aid money will have replenished somewhat as other admits decline the school's offer to go elsewhere, freeing up their awards for others. Maybe it would pay to hold off until March to start asking for more cash? Does that make any sense?

[/quote]

Hmmm. I dunno. I would guess that at this point, the schools are more likely to be worried about yield and filling the class. As they get closer to R3, they have a better idea where they are and might decide that you're not so important (or that you are REALLY important). With the student loan situation what it is, I would guess that schools are fairly worried at this point, unless they've come up with viable alternatives. I'm just guessing, of course.
Re: Can you ask for a scholarship?   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2009, 08:09