Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:34 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [3]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Can you help some who scored 350 on the GMAT? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Policarpa wrote:
Hi,
When you say a teacher adds value, do you mean private tutoring or just a live teacher in a course, I have the Kaplan on-demand and my time zone does not allow for a live class, I have considered a tutor but I think it is too soon since I have not gone through ALL of the resources that I have so far, as far as books, videos, etc.

Both do. Generally speaking, when people read a concept from a book, they do not understand it and its applications fully. They need to practice questions, then go through the concept again to fine tune their understanding and then practice questions again. On the other hand, a teacher explains the concept to you in simple words, explains its applications and makes you run through some examples to show you the concept in action. That one hour does a more thorough job than people themselves do in days. It leads to better understanding and retention in a shorter span of time. But then these are generalizations and there are people who do well on their own too. What works best for you depends on how you study best and the cost benefit analysis.

If someone is at the 700 level, there would be few concepts in which he/she would face problems so value added by a classroom course is limited. When someone is at 200-300 level, again, he/she would need to come up to 450 level to gain maximum benefit out of a classroom course because he/she would probably have a hard time following the lecture (because he/she may not be able to deal with very basic things such as working with fractions etc). A level of 450 - 500 is perfect to join a classroom course - lots of gaps to patch up, enough basics to follow in the class.

Private tutors add tons of value at every level since they personalize the course according to individual requirement. Of course, they are more expensive than a classroom course.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Can you help someone who scored 350 on the GMAT? [#permalink]
Thank you for your response BB. I truly appreciate it.

How do you suggest I should study the manhattan books? Do you read each topic and then start the questions? Or finish the entire book and start doing the questions? How did you learn the material? How many hours a week do you think I should dedicate for two months?

For the sentence correction, should I re-read the Kaplan foundations? Or just study the Manhattan SC?

Thank you very much!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Can you help someone who scored 350 on the GMAT? [#permalink]
Thank you, Karishma. I will definitely go back to my basics. Thank you for the websites. I thought I understood the explanations, but I seemed it forget later. I will practice more to understand the topics.

Thank you very much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Hi,
When you say a teacher adds value, do you mean private tutoring or just a live teacher in a course, I have the Kaplan on-demand and my time zone does not allow for a live class, I have considered a tutor but I think it is too soon since I have not gone through ALL of the resources that I have so far, as far as books, videos, etc.
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Might need to change your study approach. By the sound of things, just learning from books isn't working.
I struggled with the same issue and signed up for an online course and also got a maths tutor.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot