Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:25 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4054 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Can you provide info on European MBA programs? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
debayan222 wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
debayan222 wrote:
Hi Linda,
Can you provide info on European MBA?

Look forward to hear from you.

Maybe. If you have a specific question, I may be able to help.

Best,
Linda

Hi Linda,
My specific questions are :
1.Most of them are 1 year program as you know...so,should one consider these for career change (re: Industry change not job function change)?

2.Could you please let me know like INSEAD & IE whether LBS,Said & Judge also have rolling admissions and two intakes (for example, one in September 2014 and other in January 2015 for INSEAD)...?

3. LBS,INSEAD are top ones but in global b-school rankings (FT) b-schools like IE,Said & Judge are placed ahead of many top 20 US schools like Ross,Darden,Anderson (for IE only),McCombs...How do you see that for an International applicant & career changer?

4..For these European schools, is it always better to apply in R1 (if some of them don't have rolling admissions and/or two intakes) rather than in R2 like US schools...?

Would really appreciate some deep insights from you on these.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Thanks for clarifying. To address your questions:

1. That depends on how radical the job change is. The more significant the career change, (especially if it involves both function and industry) the more you shoudl try for the traditional two-year program. Or at least a program that provides significant opportunities for internships.
2. LBS has one intake per year (in September) Please check the schools' web sites for the answer to #2.
3. I don't put that much weight in the ranking as to decide solely based on one or another ranking where to apply. And the world is a big place. A school may have a better reputation in a given locale than in another locale. Check placement rates for the different schools in the country where you are most likely to live. also check those rates for the companies and industry you want to work in.
4. For any program, please see https://blog.accepted.com/2005/7/18/mba- ... d-2-fight/ .

Best,
Linda
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thank you so much Linda for your reply...

1. So...as you've mentioned that "at least a program that significant opportunities for internships"- so what's your opinion whether INSEAD/LBS/IE/Said/Judge can offer that in their 1 yr program?
3.I'm more keen on European MBA but skeptical how career changers would suit the 1 yr European MBA!

It would be be great if you can shed some deep insights on these above mentioned concerns and thanks again for your other clarifications(especially R1 vs R2!).

Send PM
Expert Reply
debayan222 wrote:
Thank you so much Linda for your reply...

1. So...as you've mentioned that "at least a program that significant opportunities for internships"- so what's your opinion whether INSEAD/LBS/IE/Said/Judge can offer that in their 1 yr program?
3.I'm more keen on European MBA but skeptical how career changers would suit the 1 yr European MBA!

It would be be great if you can shed some deep insights on these above mentioned concerns and thanks again for your other clarifications(especially R1 vs R2!).

1. Again, the details here become important. The school's strengths in the area you're trying to go into is also relevant. And the specific program is important. At INSEAD, for example, if you start in January, you still have a summer internship. If you start in September and want an internship, it is sometimes tacked on at the end of the program. While LBS offers a shorter program, my understanding is that most students, especially career changers, use the full 21 months to complete the program. I don't have any firm data on how successful these programs individually are in facilitating career change of both industry and function. I think it will depend on the school, your background, and the demand for employees in the field you are trying to enter.

3. The European programs say they facilitate career changed. Let's face it. No one in the U.S. or in Europe goes to get an MBA with the intention of going back to their old job. On a basic level all MBA's are career changers. The question becomes degree of career change. My sense is that these top one-year programs can facilitate a change of function fairly well. Maybe a change in industry. But they will have a very hard time facilitating a change in both function and industry. That kind of radical change is also not easy for the two-year program, but it is more feasible.

Best,
Linda
GMAT Club Bot