Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Careless Mistakes on GMAT Math

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2273 [0], given: 31

Careless Mistakes on GMAT Math [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 14:38
Expert's post
Careless Mistakes on GMAT Math
a blog article by Mike McGarry

Those of us who work in GMAT test prep often hear students say things such as, “I really understand the math on the GMAT, but I just make a bunch of silly mistakes” or, “Careless mistakes are my biggest problem on the GMAT Quant: how can I make fewer of them?” Let’s think about this. What exactly is a “careless mistake” or a “silly mistake”? I am going to discuss three different possibilities, all of which can play a part in the “careless mistake” issue.

Case One: Truly Silly Errors
Suppose, in the course of a calculation, you needed to calculate 2 + 4, and you said that this was 8. This is a very basic arithmetic calculation error, a truly silly mistake. We all make mistakes such as this sometimes. Every once in a while, one of my blog articles is published with such a mistake: fortunately, astute readers usually alert me in the comments. Everybody makes these mistakes, but they should be reasonably rare. If this happens more than once or twice on a 37 question section, then see Case Three. For most people, I don’t think this is the kind of “careless mistake” that causes the most difficulty.

Case Two: Levels of Understanding
The opposite of careless is careful. — Suppose a student does a math question and gets the question wrong. Then, suppose the student reads the solution, and thinks, “Oh! To get the question right, I needed to use Concept X! I know Concept X!” Getting the problem wrong was a small mistake, but at this point, some students make a HUGE mistake by thinking: “OK, that was a just a careless mistake! I really understand this!“ WRONG!! WRONG!! WRONG!!

You can read the rest of the article here:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/careless-m ... gmat-math/

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Careless Mistakes on GMAT Math   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2013, 14:38