Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 11:13 It is currently 13 May 2024, 11:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Other, International Business
Schools: Madison
GMAT Date: 01-09-2012
GPA: 2.69
WE:Operations (Transportation)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2065 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Carreer switcher with unusual background [#permalink]
Hi Kieth,
Often part time mba is good but that depends on what your employer is looking for. We would advise you to search more schools, prepare a list and then apply to them. Unfortunately your desired school is not a top B school so you need to keep that also in consideration while making a decision.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, an MBA is always an opportunity for you to take time off, reevaluate yourself, learn new skills, and seek a job change, so it can likely help you out there. In general though, for example, if you were looking to switch tot classic consulting or finance job, I'm not sure that a full MBA program would necessarily be the right choice. If you do stay in industry though, it could be very helpful to give you that jump. One thing I would do though is speak to potential future employers (let's say for the moment shipping companies) asking them for informational interviews r.e. getting an MBA, and how that might make you a strong candidate for a a managerial position.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for all the advice.
I know that online MBA's are unpopular, but I was actually thinking of applying to Indiana's online program. My rationale is that I could keep my line of work while getting a degree. After some thought I can't see going back to school full time at this point in life. After doing some research, it looked like UNC and Indiana were the best b-schools to offer online degrees. UNC is out of my price range and I wouldn't get accepted anyway but I would think I'd have a shot at getting in the Indiana program. There are also a few AACSB accredited online programs that were very cheap (Murray St.,Tennessee-Martin, Memphis to name a few) , but I don't know if it would even be worth going to them.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, if it's only knowledge that you seek, okay. But Online MBAs are faaaaaaar less effective than full time MBAs. There's no real meeting people, there's no dynamics, no networking, no interactivity (okay there's a bit of all, but in a rather virtual manner). I feel that if you are gonna do it, do it right. Go all the way, apply to 3-4 programs that fit your needs and go for it! Spend the time there, interact with professors and students, join clubs, participate in entrepreneurial contests...
Intern
Intern
Status:Most successful Admission Consultants: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=""></a><!-- m -->
Affiliations: consultinghub,
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
WE:Education (Consulting)
Send PM
I would definitely agree that online degrees would not be the same Full time oncampus MBA. Infact in your specific case you should go for full time campus MBA. The reason

1. You will feel close to learning and since you have been away, you need to have it more immersively
2. I personally dont believe in age, infact I believed Indiana Jones when he said its mileage, not the age. :-D
3. Your profile may seem not exactly a tailor made for MBA but people with your profiles have made to good school in the name of diversity
4. If money is to be considered then definitely go for an ROI study, it will give you a reason to change your mind
5. If you are home sick then you will do what you want to and its perfectly justified in your case.

Best of Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Would a B&M degree from a small state school be worthwhile? The reason I ask is that i would rather not move just to go back to school.

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
Maybe. Depends on the school :)
check their employment statistics and see who hires from there. since it's close and school is in session, a visit is most likely in order.
GMAT Club Bot