Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chances? Am I Even in the Right Place?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chances? Am I Even in the Right Place? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 12:22
Hey everyone,

To keep it brief, I am interested in one day running an international non-profit, and am new to the MBA search. From looking through the various business school forums I dont seem to be the traditional MBA applicant-- no interest in ibanking, business consulting ect. Instead I would like to combine the practical management and leadership experience of an MBA program with my academic and nonprofit/govt sector interest of IR and public policy. Plus, after experiencing the struggles of getting a good job with a liberal arts degree, it would be good to have some appeal to private sector work if I decided to go down that road in the future.

So, that has left me looking into duel degree programs in public policy or IR with business. Ideally, I could do Georgetown SFS and McDonough MBA. So here is my profile-- let me know if you think McDonough is within my range, or what other schools might be.

Schoolwork:
Undergrad: good private liberal arts college. GPA 3.78, Magna Cum Laude, and Honors in political science
Double major in political science and philosophy

Some graduate work in a non-degree public policy school. two courses in statistics and macro econ with A's.

Work Experience:
currently 1.5 years for major international non-profit working in democracy promotion for the US govt. Have moved up some from first being hired as an intern, but hitting a ceiling in my current capacity.

Additional internship experience on the Hill. Volunteer experience working in South Africa for six months for an education non-profit.

85th percentile for GRE (about 660 GMAT equivalent i believe?) when I took them two years ago. Plan on retaking, but can use this as a reference.

I know nobody can give a definitive yes or no, but it would be good to know if McDonough would be in my range without years more of work experience. Let me know what ya'll think. Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Chances? Am I Even in the Right Place? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 16:47
Georgetown should be in your range and is a good fit for you geographically to build a public sector network. I am not sure if they accept GRE, however.
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Chances? Am I Even in the Right Place? [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2012, 18:54
AlBobs wrote:
Hey everyone,

To keep it brief, I am interested in one day running an international non-profit, and am new to the MBA search. From looking through the various business school forums I dont seem to be the traditional MBA applicant-- no interest in ibanking, business consulting ect. Instead I would like to combine the practical management and leadership experience of an MBA program with my academic and nonprofit/govt sector interest of IR and public policy. Plus, after experiencing the struggles of getting a good job with a liberal arts degree, it would be good to have some appeal to private sector work if I decided to go down that road in the future.

Hi,

Do not worry, Business schools do not admit designations and profiles but admit people.

Georgetown require two years of work experience (full time), and i have not heard anyone with less than 2 yrs experience getting into full time MBA, am not sure the rest of your experience was full time or not ?

You have solid goals, and you must not stay away from expressing your right story, your individual story to make changes in non profit sector must come out very clear in your essays, and believe me you will be a great pick, do not think that those dreaming about consulting and business backgrounds only make it to MBA. You are gonna improve a lot as an individual from your MBA.

Best approach is - talk to the admissions director about your profile at length, if you are at the same location, take prior appointment and meet the concerned.

In general, you must express your goals in structured manner with time frames, you said SOME appeal (what does this SOME mean ?), you must have clear road map for your career post MBA.

You would be a part of less than 5% for most of the schools (as far as goals are concerned), but do not worry, you have an opportunity to show that you are unique , and the only way to let adcom know who you are is ESSAY.

Good Luck.

Do let me know if i could be of any help.

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Re: Chances? Am I Even in the Right Place?   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2012, 18:54