Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:45 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.4
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Changing Jobs 12-16 months before MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
far257 wrote:
Thank you for your reply!

B-school is obviously not the only reason why I would/would not change jobs. However, the net effect on how an adcom would view my application is one data-point that I would like to consider when making this decision.

I suppose I should refine me question: all else being equal, would moving jobs have a net positive or net negative impact on my application, and what is the rough magnitude of that impact?

I totally agree with Alex here. I understand your desire to change this decision into a data point to analyse it, but if it were that easy, you probably would have figured it out already!

I mean, if you have concrete offers with job titles, esponsibilites and numbers attached to them, then it maybe becomes a bit easier to evaluate the advantages of choice A over choice B. But here, there are soooo many factors at stake, personal like professional, that it's a toss-up. And hence the great idea of choosing what you choose based on your life. From an AdCom perspective, it won't seem wishy-washy at all if you make a change into Healthcare, not unless you write in your goals that you want to get into consulting :) That would seem a bit odd. But changing careers is your choice. But as for which is better? Too hard to say. You seem a bit fed up with your job, and what would be the percentage improvement in your work success if you are more satisfied? :) See what I mean? Kinda of hard to figure out.

Maybe if you write here again when you get those first concrete offers in healthcare, then maybe it'll be a bit easier to think this through with you.

But let's say this: for the moment, both options seem pretty good.

JF
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
far257 wrote:
Thank you for your reply!

B-school is obviously not the only reason why I would/would not change jobs. However, the net effect on how an adcom would view my application is one data-point that I would like to consider when making this decision.

I suppose I should refine me question: all else being equal, would moving jobs have a net positive or net negative impact on my application, and what is the rough magnitude of that impact?

Again, I think you're framing the question incorrectly.

As I mentioned before (and as Jon alluded to) -- there isn't a categorically better option. It's not categorically positive or negative, because even from an adcom's perspective, that's not how they will look at it. Furthermore, adcoms are *people* evaluating applicants in a subjective manner (there's no "Bible" where every adcom has to obey for stuff like this) and as such each individual adcom will have varying opinions about YOUR case, regardless of whether you move or not. Ultimately, what adcoms want are applicants who are talented, accomplished and who show potential for leadership in the workplace (i.e. potential to be a great boss to work for someday) - and whether that happens because of a job change or not is as individual as the person.

That's why in thinking about your career options, the only person you should be considering is YOU. If you do what's best for you, then the rest will follow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
I think this was the topic I was looking for. Hoping for some advice.

I was working at a company for 3 and half years. And now I have received a job offer from a startup company which is in line with my goals for MBA. I am rather excited to take it up in terms of the role on offer, even though salary hike is marginal. Nonetheless, my biggest worry is that I will start the new job in January 2015 and if I apply in R1 in 2015- I am unsure how my experience of 7-8 months at the new firm would be regarded by the B schools? I definitely want to apply in 2015, otherwise I would have waited another year.

Open to all views, advice and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Send PM
Hey Starry9,

That's a great question and the answer is simple - do what's right for you. Do schools want you to be at a job for a longer time before you apply? Of course - they're selfish that way. But the fact of the matter is 7-8 months is plenty of time to line up an interesting recommender perspective and if the opportunity matches with your post-MBA goals, then it sounds like absolutely the right next step for you! (The salary bump doesn't matter)

So I think if you're passionate about the company, the work, and the role - then you should do it. Because if it makes sense for you, then you'll be able to explain that to the adcoms.

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Hi Bhavik.. thanks a lot for your perspective. You are right about the Bschool wanting a longer time but you are also right about whether I can justify my move. So that gives me a clearer way to think about it. Thank you!!

Posted from my mobile device
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Send PM
Absolutely - good luck with the new job!
GMAT Club Bot