Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 05:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chicago Booth V. Kellogg part-time

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.33
WE: Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Chicago Booth V. Kellogg part-time [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 14:37
I just got admitted into both Kellogg and Booth's part-time evening MBA programs. At the moment I am leaning towards Kellogg, but I want to thoroughly weigh the decision, and would love to get some expert opinions.

I have worked for seven years at a popular dotcom. While I will start school this fall in my current job, I am looking to shift out of the specific sector of my industry to a more general management role in E-commerce. Or, I would also be interested switching career paths to management consulting.

The main reasons I am leaning towards Kellogg currently are:
- Kellogg's Accelerated Option (15.5 credits) would allow me to graduate about 9 months earlier and save about $30k in tuition compared to the full 20.5 credit requirement
- I am looking to major/concentrate in Marketing Management, a clear strength of Kellogg's
- The collaborative structure will help establish stronger peer connections

One important area that I am unsure of is which school would provide better career services (and help me land the type of job I am looking for). Most of the placement data available is for the FT programs. Does anyone familiar with the level of career services Kellogg and Booth offer for part-time students, and how they stack up with each other?

Also, please chime in...am I wrong to be leaning towards Kellogg over Booth?

Thanks
Linc20
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago Booth V. Kellogg part-time [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 10:25
Since you are not looking to switch industries, just roles - it sounds like the Kellogg PT MBA might suit your needs. I'm almost positive you won't have access to the recruiting opportunities and the same job database that the FT MBA students do though (contact Kellogg career services/adcom to find out more). Again in your case, your resume + the PT MBA will be sufficient to land you a role in e-commerce. I think you will build a better network doing a full time program though (people build bonds during treks and while socializing).
Congrats on your admit to Kellogg and all the best!

Leah Derus
fxmbaconsulting . com
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.52
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Chicago Booth V. Kellogg part-time [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 19:13
Linc20,

I was just admitted into the Kellogg Part-Time MBA. The consultant above is wrong. PTMBA students at Kellogg have access to the SAME recruiting resources as the FTMBA students, with two caveats:

1. No internships (makes sense given that you are supposed to be fully employed while studying)
2. Your current employer can't be paying for your MBA

I was just at Weiboldt Hall last night - Bain and Deloitte were giving presentations on the Chicago campus specifically to PTMBA students.

Good luck with your decision. PM me if you have any other questions.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Chicago Booth V. Kellogg part-time [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2014, 14:37
Thanks anenlightenedguy for your post. I'm noting down that Kellogg students all have access to the same career database and opportunities.
Best,
Leah
Re: Chicago Booth V. Kellogg part-time   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2014, 14:37