Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Flip a coin-

1) Northwestern is stronger in general management while Chicago is stronger in finance (but both schools are among the best in the US for both).

2) Chicago produces more CEOs but Northwestern has produced many top executives as well.

3) Many prefer Chicago's Gleacher over Northwestern's downtown campus but this is a subjective call.

These two schools are very evenly matched. Since the expected return for the two schools is so similar, I would base the decision on fit rather than return.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort-

Can you speak to the type pf people that go to each school? I have heard that Chicago is more uptight that Kellogg, but have heard Kellogg grads are not as prepared for executive level positions as Chicago? What has your experience been with graduates and students?

Thanks again-

WinterMBA2006
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
According to conventional wisdom- Kellogg attracts student who have stronger soft skills and are more sociable while Chicago draws students with stronger quant and technical skills but weaker social skills. There might be a kernel of truth to this but there are so many counterexamples that I would not take the conventional wisdom too seriously.

I suppose "uptight" can have a variety of meanings. Chicago is certainly a serious place and a school that prides itself in the notion that ideas matter. However, it has the social aspect that one would expect from the typical high cluster MBA program as well.

Regarding the lack of preparation for executive positions of Kellogg students, I would not consider this a major concern. Northwestern is clearly one of the leading schools in the training of general managers and many of its students remain in Chicago. Of course, one would expect some Kellogg alumni to be poorly suited for executive positions but one would expect the same of the alumni of any major school including Chicago.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort (or anyone else that wants to chime in)-

Here's a scenario:

If a person really likes both Kellogg and Chicago GSB, they have a background in finance, and are very well rounded. Although they have not had a true management position yet, they have held many leadership roles. They are very good at finance, and they are very impressed by the "prestige" of the GSB. On the other hand, the atmosphere at Kellogg, and the perceived camaraderie at Kellogg are very impressive and welcoming. Based on the information provided, which school should this person choose?

Thanks-

Still undecided.....
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would like to hear some other opinions as well.

I infer the following from your message:

1) You really prefer Kellogg
but
2) You are reluctant to pick Kellogg becuase you feel that the GSB has greater prestige

The two schools are so similar in general reputation and prestige that I would not make this the deciding factor. The Chicago metro area is lucky to have two such evenly matched schools so close to one another.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Winter..

First of all, congratulations...getting into both the schools is quite a feat !! What day did you submit your applications, for both schools?

In your first post, you seem to be mentioning about "corporate fin" versus "general mgmt"...you probably need to decide on one first...it easily translates to "chicago" vs "kellogg"

that will essentially make your decision easy...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort-

Yeah you hit it right on the head. Just need to attend a few classes and that should help me make up my mind. Will have an answer by the end of the week..... More postings about this question would be great. Thanks for the info-

WinterMBA

Milkaa-

I submitted both applications in the second week of October and heard back from both last week. Did you apply to both, I would like to know you information. Thanks

WinterMBA
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good news !

Checked my voice mail at work and found out that GSB has given me admission into the Evening MBA program.

WinterMBA -

I applied to both Kellogg and GSB in the 3rd week of October [just before the deadlines] ..havent heard from Kellogg yet...but GSB has come out +ve...

:-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
CONGRATS!!!!

Chicago is a great school, you should be very proud.

WinterMBA
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Winter-

i also got into both. it is a tough decision, to be sure. I have to agree with Hjort that it will have to come down to personal taste. I read in a post in a different area of the GMAT Club someone say that it comes down to brand. To paraphrase: this brand will be with you the rest of your professional life. which brand are you?

Good luck in your decision.

Regards, NuGo
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cool NuGo...another one that deserves my heartfelt congratulations..

How long did it take to hear the decisions from each of these schools - can you please specify an exact timeframe? [say 10 days, etc]

I am trying to get a feel for when Kellogg will give its decision.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Milkaa-

It took Kellogg 13 days to respond with their decision......One thing that worked for me is I kept checking for my name in the Northwestern student directory. The night before I got my call, my name showed up in the directory as a student with a curriculum of "management". This might be a good way to check on your progress....

The link is: https://directory.northwestern.edu/

Hope this helps...

WinterMBA

P.S. Did you apply to Chicago GSB?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
GSB got back to me within ten days. Kellogg was much longer- i submitted my app 9/29, and was notified of my acceptance 10/31- almost five weeks later.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Did you get into the GSB?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, I am dazed....I got THE CALL from GSB earlier this evening offering me a seat !

It took 12 full days including the excruciating wait over weekends. Time to party folks. U of C has been my dream school from childhood !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I got into both, but i think i am going to kellogg. it seems like the better fit in terms of people and personalities, etc.

good luck everyone on your decisions. winter- make the choice that seems the better fit for you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
NuGo, Nashdkon, milkaa, winter

I would like to know whether all of you received an offer of admission to GSB for the Evening MBA or the weekend MBA? The deadline for the weekend program is not until June-06, so has the GSB started to offer admissions for the Weekend program, already?

spiderman_xx
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2