Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1481 [0]
Send PM
Re: Children who watch a great deal of television and their [#permalink]
a tricky SC! ...I agree with Himalaya that B would be ideal if it had " and" . Since OA is not E , B comes next :roll:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
You guys right. I didnt chose B as it does not have "that". As guessed, B is OA.
Director
Director
Send PM
duttsit wrote:
I got this during Kaplan CAT 3. Obviously I got it wrong. BTW, E is not OA.

be careful about kaplan and TPR and donot depend on their questions and explanations. if you pay careful attention to their questions and explanations, you find them substandared to OG to the great extent. only follow OG, and OG, and OG, the bible of gmat... 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
HIMALAYA wrote:
duttsit wrote:

be careful about kaplan and TPR and donot depend on their questions and explanations. if you pay careful attention to their questions and explanations, you find them substandared to OG to the great extent. only follow OG, and OG, and OG, the bible of gmat... 8-)

Thanks Himalaya. Agree i found verbal section of Kaplan test not anywhere close to OG. Do you suggest any other timed(adaptive) test with good verbal questions? I did poor in Kaplan verbal :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
Duttsit, can you double check the problem? Without interjecting a in answer choice B, it is grammatically incorrect.

(b) whose families have a history of near-sightdness

thanks 8-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
GMATT73 wrote:
Duttsit, can you double check the problem? Without interjecting a in answer choice B, it is grammatically incorrect.

(b) whose families have a history of near-sightdness

thanks 8-)

Attachments

SC-children.doc [74.5 KiB]
Downloaded 116 times

Director
Director
Send PM
duttsit wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:
duttsit wrote:

Thanks Himalaya. Agree i found verbal section of Kaplan test not anywhere close to OG. Do you suggest any other timed(adaptive) test with good verbal questions? I did poor in Kaplan verbal :)

i have also done some kaplan and TPR timed tests. i have nova too but i do not like it so i donot practice it. i donot have cambridge.

some were talking about gmax online. i have posetive feedback about it but i have not tried it.

i have not seen Manhattan gmat books. some of the members in this forum said Manhattean's gmat materials are really good. based on those views, i guess these materials should be very good.

get all, not only new ones but also old ones too, OG materials. OG is perfectly ok. among OGs, 10th is best, however 11th has more explanations. but 11th has some repetetions, which i donot like. i love 10th.

kaplan and TPR are good when you really donot have clear concept and idea about the grammer. when you have some idea about it, you really do not like them. So these books are for the begainners.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
HIMALAYA wrote:
i have also done some kaplan and TPR timed tests. i have nova too but i do not like it so i donot practice it. i donot have cambridge.

some were talking about gmax online. i have posetive feedback about it but i have not tried it.

i have not seen Manhattan gmat books. some of the members in this forum said Manhattean's gmat materials are really good. based on those views, i guess these materials should be very good.

get all, not only new ones but also old ones too, OG materials. OG is perfectly ok. among OGs, 10th is best, however 11th has more explanations. but 11th has some repetetions, which i donot like. i love 10th.

kaplan and TPR are good when you really donot have clear concept and idea about the grammer. when you have some idea about it, you really do not like them. So these books are for the begainners.

Thanks much for the information. I will let you know if I came across something interesting.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
I vote for B.
Is it to do with who.... and whose... ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Regarding the question below, there is no correct answer. I will put comments next to each answer choice.

Children who watch a great deal of television and their families have a history of near-sightdness will probably require glasses sooner than their peers who are not predisposed to myopia in these ways.

(a) and their families have a history of near-sightedness - IF 2 NOUNS ARE AROUND "AND" THEY FORM A UNIT. THIS MEANS THAT THE CHILDREN WATCH TELEVISION AND THEIR FAMILIES.

(b) whose families have history of near-sightdness -THIS SPEAKS OF TELEVISION WHOSE FAMILIES - WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

(c) and a history of near-sightness runs in the family - THIS MEANS THEY WATCH TELEVISION AND A HISTORY.

(d) whose families have a history of near-sightness running in them - SEE b ABOVE. ALSO, THE PHRASE "RUNNING IN THEM" IS SUPERFLUOUS (BECAUSE "HAVE A HISTORY" IS ENOUGH) AND UNIDIOMATIC (WE SAY, "NEAR-SIGHTEDNESS RUNS IN A FAMILY," BUT DO NOT USE THE VERB IN THE PROGRESSIVE.

(e) with a history of near-sightness running in the family - THIS MEANS THAT THE CHILDREN WATCH TELEVISION WITH A HISTORY OF .... THE WORD "WITH" COMBINES "TELEVISION" AND "A HISTORY." THIS IS SOMETHING LIKE "I LIKE PIZZA WITH MUSHROOMS."

I hope this helps.
Leanna
https://www.gmaxonline.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I agree with Leanna's answer about none seeming to be right.

So I will go with A.

E doesn't work because the with makes it seem like the television has a history of ... :)

Interestingly ambiguous question (to me).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Send PM
a) Incorrect: Use "and" only to express two ideas
c) Incorrect: Passive and just bad style
d) Is incorrect since "running in them" in unneccessary.
e) Is incorrect: "with" is modifying a "great deal"

I believe B is correct since "whose" is the proper possesive pronoun that refers to children. But I think the answer would be better if a comma is put before the "whose."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Was OA ever posted for this one? On exam day, I would have chosen C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mohish wrote:
Was OA ever posted for this one? On exam day, I would have chosen C.

OA is B. Please see first few responses.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Send PM
Will go with B but seriously think that there should be an and before whose

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts