Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 22:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Chronic Condition - Should I talk about that?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: R1 - Kellogg, Tuck (W), Yale, Cornell, R2- Haas, Ross, R3 - Foster
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Chronic Condition - Should I talk about that? [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 10:09
Hi All,

I am in the middle of writing my essays and I have been struggling with this question for sometime whether I should give any details about my recently diagnosed chronic condition in the essays. I am taking a break from work as I am undergoing a treatment for this condition. My physician is confident of the remission of this disease in a few months as it got diagnosed on time and I was put onto the treatment right away.

Obviously I don't want to hide anything from the adcom but do you think it will left them wondering whether I will be able to survive the pressure of the B-School environment with this condition? Though I think I can and my doctor is confident of my recovery. Also I don't want it to become a sob story. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

R
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chronic Condition - Should I talk about that? [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 12:49
It's all about how you spin it. Just make sure you talk about what you've learned from your experience dealing with this chronic condition. Don't say something like, "I have a chronic condition. It's bad. Let me into your school".
Intern
Intern

Re: Chronic Condition - Should I talk about that? [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 14:17
Hey thanks for your reply...but my question was whether I should even mention that...are they going to doubt my capability to go through an intensive program like MBA. I certainly have no intention of asking schools to let me in because I have a chronic condition.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Chronic Condition - Should I talk about that? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 15:44
Mention it only if you feel you need to explain the gap in your employment due to your ongoing treatment. The admissions committee has no business accepting or denying applicants based on their perceived physical ability to survive the rigors of an MBA.
Intern
Intern

Re: Chronic Condition - Should I talk about that? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2008, 16:12
Thanks Solaris...I think I will briefly mention it in the optional essay.
Re: Chronic Condition - Should I talk about that?   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2008, 16:12