Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Clear Vision but GMAT not that great. Request for Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Clear Vision but GMAT not that great. Request for Review [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2007, 13:08
First of all I thank you for the time you take to give your opinion in clear and precise terms.

So, here goes mine

I am an Indian, Male 31yrs old, living and working in Germany for the past 5 years.

Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (India) 91%
BTech in Computer Science (India) 77%
MS in Automation Systems (Germany) (2.0:German System)

Languages Spoken Fluently: English, German, my mother tongue

I am working as a Development Engineer (project leader) for the last
3.5 years for a luxury car manufacturer in Germany. Job tasks include requirement analyses, function development and supplier coordination.
Also lead software tool development projects with companies in India and provide consulting for various departments of the company.

Always felt that I had the management skills through various cultural activities in college. Moreover, here in Germany I do community work for the local church. Dec 2005-Jan 2006, I was in Africa. Went there as a social worker to work with the Masai tribesmen. I was deeply moved by what I experienced there. This was the turning point. Took my time and by the end of 2006 I decided to go for an MBA. Basically looking for a change in career. Optimally would like to work for a non-profit organisation/ social services field.

A good school would be a perfect launch pad! Took the GMAT
GMAT: 610 Quant:46 (80%) Verbal: 28 (51%) AWA: awaiting

As you can see my GMAT score is not that balanced. I botched up the verbal. I am trying for admission next year (2009). I am not sure if I should consider taking up the GMAT again to improve my verbal (whats holding me back: my family commitments) or just apply? Would be nice if you could give some inputs!

Schools being considered
Schulich
LBS
Insead
IMD
Cambridge
Oxford

Thanks in Advance...
AugiTh
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Clear Vision but GMAT not that great. Request for Review [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 09:07
AugiTh wrote:
First of all I thank you for the time you take to give your opinion in clear and precise terms.

So, here goes mine

I am an Indian, Male 31yrs old, living and working in Germany for the past 5 years.

Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (India) 91%
BTech in Computer Science (India) 77%
MS in Automation Systems (Germany) (2.0:German System)

Languages Spoken Fluently: English, German, my mother tongue

I am working as a Development Engineer (project leader) for the last
3.5 years for a luxury car manufacturer in Germany. Job tasks include requirement analyses, function development and supplier coordination.
Also lead software tool development projects with companies in India and provide consulting for various departments of the company.

Always felt that I had the management skills through various cultural activities in college. Moreover, here in Germany I do community work for the local church. Dec 2005-Jan 2006, I was in Africa. Went there as a social worker to work with the Masai tribesmen. I was deeply moved by what I experienced there. This was the turning point. Took my time and by the end of 2006 I decided to go for an MBA. Basically looking for a change in career. Optimally would like to work for a non-profit organisation/ social services field.

A good school would be a perfect launch pad! Took the GMAT
GMAT: 610 Quant:46 (80%) Verbal: 28 (51%) AWA: awaiting

As you can see my GMAT score is not that balanced. I botched up the verbal. I am trying for admission next year (2009). I am not sure if I should consider taking up the GMAT again to improve my verbal (whats holding me back: my family commitments) or just apply? Would be nice if you could give some inputs!

Schools being considered
Schulich
LBS
Insead
IMD
Cambridge
Oxford

Thanks in Advance...
AugiTh

AugiTh,

You have an unusual profile, which will help you stand out from the crowd. I do think your GMAT is a bit low, so I would encourage you to take a prep course like Kaplan and raise that score. You will probably need to am for about a 700 or above for schools like LBS, Insead, and IMD.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
That was nice! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 01:19
Paul,

Thank you very much! I guess I would be taking up the GMAT again!
It felt great to hear your perspective and I should say helped convince my wife to allow me to go in for a second shot at GMAT :wink:

AugiTh
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: That was nice! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 15:02
AugiTh wrote:
Paul,

Thank you very much! I guess I would be taking up the GMAT again!
It felt great to hear your perspective and I should say helped convince my wife to allow me to go in for a second shot at GMAT :wink:

AugiTh

AugiTh,

Anything I can do to help. :-)

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter