Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
D@mn, this thread is deader than a doorknob as well. No good news for me, I've been put on the WL. D@MN IT, I knew that this was going to happen. In fact, during my interview, my interviewer actually said "I'm going to write you a great recommendation and I definitely think that you'll be a great fit at Columbia, but they tend to admit people from more diverse backgrounds during this round." He went on to suggest that if they didn't admit me I should look into the January option starting next year, or applying in the ED round; he though I'd be a prime candidate for those rounds.

I actually don't think the chances for getting off the WL are good this year, so I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could have been ready to apply ED this year; RD at Columbia is pretty tough. Oh well, doesn't hurt to dream a little I guess.

I am really socked to hear that P...

Still I am not able to understand what schools are looking for ... an exception GMAT... solid work ex.... what they need..... :?:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
gmat_crack wrote:
pelihu wrote:
D@mn, this thread is deader than a doorknob as well. No good news for me, I've been put on the WL. D@MN IT, I knew that this was going to happen. In fact, during my interview, my interviewer actually said "I'm going to write you a great recommendation and I definitely think that you'll be a great fit at Columbia, but they tend to admit people from more diverse backgrounds during this round." He went on to suggest that if they didn't admit me I should look into the January option starting next year, or applying in the ED round; he though I'd be a prime candidate for those rounds.

I actually don't think the chances for getting off the WL are good this year, so I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could have been ready to apply ED this year; RD at Columbia is pretty tough. Oh well, doesn't hurt to dream a little I guess.

I am really socked to hear that P...

Still I am not able to understand what schools are looking for ... an exception GMAT... solid work ex.... what they need..... :?:

good question and no one has an answer....if you follow Kellogg R2 thread on BW, you will realize that at least 3 people have been accepted at K with GPA less than 2.7 and there are so many who have been rejected with stellar records.....
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have had the feeling that R1 is more about numbers, while R2 is often used to fill out diversity in a class. For those in overrepresented demographics, especially Asian & Indian males, R2 is extremely tough because numbers don't seem to do the trick. This seems particularly true with Columbia.

My suggestion (unfortunately it is too late for all of us this year) is for people from overrepresented groups to apply in the earliest rounds. I believe that many schools tend to go more by the numbers in the early rounds, so that they have the "numbers juice" that can allow them to admit people with weaker numbers buy more diversity factors in the later rounds.

That's just my observation based on personal observations, and specifically the conversation I had with my Columbia interviewer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I always thought it was the other way around: ED - yield mgt. game so easier to get in because probability that an applicant will matriculate is much greater. R2 - about numbers.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Sorry to hear that Pelihu but I am sure better places are waiting for you....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pelihu,

same here...asian male.....I agree with you over there that it's more to round up a class. Judging from my correspondance with my WL manager and the WL letter, it appears that they are just waiting to see who will matriculate b4 they turn to the WL. I tried to flesh out on how to beef up my application but I got nothing concrete from the WL manager.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just got dinged... was always going to be a long shot
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yb wrote:
Just got dinged... was always going to be a long shot

Sorry to hear that yb, sucks. How was your interview?

You have a good profile, do you have any admissions yet?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pelihu,

Sorry about the WL. Want to come with me to Bujumbura so we can become citizens of Burundi? we can fly through to whatever school we want ;)

Anyway, I agree about latter rounds being hard on overrepresented demographics because of the diversity factors. I noticed this in INSEAD R2, lots of Indians getting WLd and dinged (Apparently INSEAD too tries to work on diversity numbers and WLs overrepresented demographics so they can play with the numbers later on). Guess I was lucky being in R1.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's too bad yb. The RD round has really felt tough this year.

Yogil80, I agree that the only thing that will get us off the WL is pure luck - if a spot opens and they happen to need someone exactly like us. I believe in years like this one, where application volume is apparently up significantly, it's tough to get off the WL.

Necromonger, if we can get our citizenship in a few hours as we pass through then let's do it!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pelihu,

It suxs thinking that I am WL cos of my ethnicity....not that I can help it. I guess thats how the game is played. I sincerely wish you the best of luck. :) Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Well I got my DING. :-(

I feel a little disapointed, especially after being accepted at Wharton and INSEAD. My interview went very well and lasted almost 2 hours. I guess competition was very tough.

Well, good luck for the other waiting to hear from Columbia.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
just got an interview invite for round 2

i applied on the 9th of January, so I am quite suprised they were waiting for so long to decide either way

anyone knows what it means if a person gets an interview so late in the process? how many people who interview with CBS get in, any ideas??

well, I think this means that we should never give up on interview invites until the end:)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yogil80 wrote:
Pelihu,

It suxs thinking that I am WL cos of my ethnicity....not that I can help it.

I don't think you mean quite what you wrote.
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I believe CBS admits about 1/3 of the people that they interview. Unfortunately, there have been lots of reports from people who had great interviews that were still WL or dinged.

Good luck with your interview, you will probably receive a decision a few days after completing it. They probably won't make you wait.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm in.

Originally posted by dukes on 26 Mar 2007, 10:45.
Last edited by dukes on 26 Mar 2007, 10:48, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
In like flynn.

Way to go!
GMAT Club Bot