Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Country X complains that Country Y*s high tariffs on

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Country X complains that Country Y*s high tariffs on [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 04:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

33% (02:43) correct 67% (01:49) wrong based on 10 sessions
9. Country X complains that Country Y*s high tariffs on imported goods have artificially inflated the price of cars imported from Country X into Country Y, and that this is the reason that few of Country X*s cars are sold in Country Y. On the other hand, Country X's very low tariffs allow Country Y to sell many cars there at relatively low prices. Country X says that if Country Y would lower its tariffs, then Country X s cars would be able to compete in Country Y and an equitable balance of trade would be achieved.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the validity of Country X's explanation for the poor sales of its cars in Country Y?

A In places where the tariffs on goods from both countries are equal, Country Y's cars far outsell cars from Country X.
B Cars imported from Country Z sell poorly in Country Y.
C In countries where tariffs on imported goods are higher than in Country Y, Country X sells more cars than does Country Y.
D Other goods from Country X sell poorly in Country Y.
E Sales of Country Y*s cars are high even in countries that have higher tariffs on imported goods than does Country X.

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 04:33
I made it C but now when I'm writting C leads the other way.

Here is the explanation : Since Country Y sale car to countries which have higher tarrifs than Y, this indicates that the reason why cars are not sold in Country Y is different ( maybe Cars are small for Country X's people) so this does not undermine the Country X's explanation that the cars are not sold in Country Y on X due to tariffs.

A is the right choice , since the reason that, Y's cars are inable to compete with X's car, is not the tarriffs(this oppose the claim of Y) so A explain Y's cars are sold more than X's where the tarriffs are equal . So we have to assume another ground(maybe x's cars are not durable ...etc)

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 425 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 04:46
A.

The basis of the argument is that Country X's sales are low due to price caused by the tariff. A undercuts that by showing another instance where price is not the object and Country Y's cars still outsell country X's cars.

C actually supports the argument because if both Country X and Country Y import to another country, and regardless of the tariffs being higher, the tariffs should level that playing field and then Country X sells more than Country Y, that is a reason to say their sales in Country Y are hindered by the price difference created by the tariff imposed by Country Y.

perfectstranger wrote:
9. Country X complains that Country Y*s high tariffs on imported goods have artificially inflated the price of cars imported from Country X into Country Y, and that this is the reason that few of Country X*s cars are sold in Country Y. On the other hand, Country X's very low tariffs allow Country Y to sell many cars there at relatively low prices. Country X says that if Country Y would lower its tariffs, then Country X s cars would be able to compete in Country Y and an equitable balance of trade would be achieved.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the validity of Country X's explanation for the poor sales of its cars in Country Y?

A In places where the tariffs on goods from both countries are equal, Country Y's cars far outsell cars from Country X.
B Cars imported from Country Z sell poorly in Country Y.
C In countries where tariffs on imported goods are higher than in Country Y, Country X sells more cars than does Country Y.
D Other goods from Country X sell poorly in Country Y.
E Sales of Country Y*s cars are high even in countries that have higher tariffs on imported goods than does Country X.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 05:17
A is the answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 05:51
It looks like A

but i couldnt ignore D easily. It keeps on hitting that it could be the answer.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 05:59
D doesn't say anything about the tariff. The reason the other products sell poorly could be due to the tariff being against all goods brought into Country Y. It believe it's out of scope. Additionally, the way other products is not necessarily indicative of how cars will sell.

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 06:39
In the paragraph though it wasnt mentioned that sales of car X is < sales of car Y in country Y. It is just mentioned that few of cars X are being sold in country Y. This is what confusing me.

OA please?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 06:41
The question states taht Country X says it's cars can't compete in Country Y. This is implied in the question that country Y cars are selling better, or Country X would not be concerned about the ability to compete.

neeshpal wrote:
In the paragraph though it wasnt mentioned that sales of car X is < sales of car Y in country Y. It is just mentioned that few of cars X are being sold in country Y. This is what confusing me.

OA please?

J Allen Morris

VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 07:34
perfectstranger wrote:

B Cars imported from Country Z sell poorly in Country Y. -> out of scope
C In countries where tariffs on imported goods are higher than in Country Y, Country X sells more cars than does Country Y. -> correct
D Other goods from Country X sell poorly in Country Y. -> irrelevant
E Sales of Country Y*s cars are high even in countries that have higher tariffs on imported goods than does Country X. -> we want X cars sale explanation

From the highlighted statement its clear that country X assumes the tariffs as the main reason for the country Y's increased success of selling cars.It says if country Y also reduce the tariffs on X then its sales will improve and competent with Y.I think main point is attacked by (C) since this option directly states that there are still countries where tariffs on imported goods are higher than in country Y (which here is affecting X's cars) and there country X sells cars more than country Y does. Hence totally contradicts the highlighted statement given above.

When we first see immediately we come tio conclution on (A) as correct but if we carefully view.(A) says
In places where the tariffs on goods from both countries are equal, Country Y's cars far outsell cars from Country X

here tariffs are considered equal what if tarriffs are low and what if X and Y cars sales depends on other factors than cost when tariffs are low .But its possible if th tariffs are high X does not sell may be people prefer Y cars.Hence tariffs from both cpuntries being equal does not represent the scenario discussed here.

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 07:48
IMO C as well.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 07:52
The OA is A. I just looked it up in my Kaplan Verbal workbook (page 108).

J Allen Morris

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 07:55
Thanks!!

jallenmorris wrote:
The OA is A. I just looked it up in my Kaplan Verbal workbook (page 108).
Retired Moderator
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 08:01
In my opinion,

The scope is equitable balance of trade between Country X and Y.

In C, trade between other countries has no bearing on how the trade balance should be between X and Y.

spriya wrote:
perfectstranger wrote:

C In countries where tariffs on imported goods are higher than in Country Y, Country X sells more cars than does Country Y. -> correct
E Sales of Country Y*s cars are high even in countries that have higher tariffs on imported goods than does Country X. -> we want X cars sale explanation

From the highlighted statement its clear that country X assumes the tariffs as the main reason for the country Y's increased success of selling cars.It says if country Y also reduce the tariffs on X then its sales will improve and competent with Y.I think main point is attacked by (C) since this option directly states that there are still countries where tariffs on imported goods are higher than in country Y (which here is affecting X's cars) and there country X sells cars more than country Y does. Hence totally contradicts the highlighted statement given above.

When we first see immediately we come tio conclution on (A) as correct but if we carefully view.(A) says
In places where the tariffs on goods from both countries are equal, Country Y's cars far outsell cars from Country X

here tariffs are considered equal what if tarriffs are low and what if X and Y cars sales depends on other factors than cost when tariffs are low .But its possible if th tariffs are high X does not sell may be people prefer Y cars.Hence tariffs from both cpuntries being equal does not represent the scenario discussed here.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 08:08
bigfernhead wrote:
In my opinion,

The scope is equitable balance of trade between Country X and Y.

In C, trade between other countries has no bearing on how the trade balance should be between X and Y.

spriya wrote:
perfectstranger wrote:

Can anyone post the OE

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 08:31
Here is the OE from the Kaplan book:

Choice (A) is correct. Find the author's conclusion and evidence, and the assumption linking them. Weaken the argument by invalidating that assumption. The argument develops from evidence that Y's high tariffs make X's cars relatively expensive, but X's low tariffs make Y's car relatively cheap. The arguemnt concludes that if Y lowers its tariffs, then real competition and an equitable balance of trade would result. Country X assumes htat Y sells mroe cars in X than X sells in Y because of the price difference created by the different tariffs. This suggests a classic case of ignored alternatives. Look for a choice that suggests that there might be an alternative explanation besides the difference in tariffs that could explain the weakness of x's car sales relative to Y's. (A) weakens country X's argument by illustrating that the effect (more Y cars sold than X cars) is possible without the supposed cause (a tariff imbalance favoring y). This implies that something other than tariffs--the rason offered by X for its poor performance in the car market--could very well explain the differnce in sales (maybe X's car plain stinks).

J Allen Morris

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 09:32
jallenmorris wrote:

Choice (A) is correct. Find the author's conclusion and evidence, and the assumption linking them. Weaken the argument by invalidating that assumption. The argument develops from evidence that Y's high tariffs make X's cars relatively expensive, but X's low tariffs make Y's car relatively cheap. The arguemnt concludes that if Y lowers its tariffs, then real competition and an equitable balance of trade would result. Country X assumes htat Y sells mroe cars in X than X sells in Y because of the price difference created by the different tariffs. This suggests a classic case of ignored alternatives. Look for a choice that suggests that there might be an alternative explanation besides the difference in tariffs that could explain the weakness of x's car sales relative to Y's. (A) weakens country X's argument by illustrating that the effect (more Y cars sold than X cars) is possible without the supposed cause (a tariff imbalance favoring y). This implies that something other than tariffs--the rason offered by X for its poor performance in the car market--could very well explain the differnce in sales (maybe X's car plain stinks).

I agree with the point stated above but what about (C) since i think if (A) says there are other factors deciding the sales of Y over X on the otherhand (C) also directly opposes author's statement.It saying in the presence of same conditions as seen in Y and X countries the X does better than Y in car sales.Does not this statement oppose directly what author complains?

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-High Tarriffs [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2008, 10:20
No, C does not directly oppose the author's point, it actually supports it. The author is saying "We need equal treatment with regard to tariffs. Country Y has a higher tariff on our goods than we have on theirss. If we got rid of this tariff, or made it equal, Country X could compete."

In C, we are looking at another country that has a higher tariff. But the thing about this is, that the tariff is going to be equal as levied against Country X and Country Y. So, C says that in this country X sells better than Y. This is exactly what the author is saying in the stem. If you make things equal, Country X will outsell Country Y. Lets call this other country with the very high tariff Country Z. The author could say "I'm right and to prove it, look at Country Z. Both of our countries (X & Y) have to pay the same tariff on our cars sold there and we outsell Country Y. So if Country Y were to make things even, like they are in Country Z, we would be able to be competitive."

spriya wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

I agree with the point stated above but what about (C) since i think if (A) says there are other factors deciding the sales of Y over X on the otherhand (C) also directly opposes author's statement.It saying in the presence of same conditions as seen in Y and X countries the X does better than Y in car sales.Does not this statement oppose directly what author complains?

J Allen Morris

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 8

CR - Assumption 700 level - tariffs [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 04:05
Country X complains that country Y's high tariffs on imported goods have artificially inflated the cost of cars imported from country X into country Y, and that this is the reason that few of country X's cars are sold in country Y. On the other hand, country X's very low tariffs allow country Y to sell many cars there at relatively low prices. Country X says that if country Y would lower its tariffs, then country X's cars would be able to compete in country Y and an equitable balance of trade would be achieved.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the validity of country X's explanation for the poor sales of its cars in country Y?

In places where the tariffs on goods from both countries are equal, country Y's cars far outsell cars from country X.
Cars imported from country Z sell poorly in country Y.
In countries where tariffs on imported goods are higher than in country Y, country X sells more cars than does country Y.
Other goods from country X sell poorly in country Y.
Sales of country Y's cars are high even in countries that have higher tariffs on imported goods than does country X.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 4

Re: CR - Assumption 700 level - tariffs [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 05:24
I narrowed it down between A and C and then I chose C because it undermines the idea that the reason X cannot compete is because of high tariffs.

A was tricky, but I eliminated it because even if Tariff levels are equal in a certain country, they might be high or low relative to Y. C had the proper tariff relationship. At least in that answer choice I knew they country we are talking about had higher tariffs than Y.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 203 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR - Assumption 700 level - tariffs [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2011, 05:40
I choose E.

Country X complains that country Y's high tariffs on imported goods have artificially inflated the cost of cars imported from country X into country Y, and that this is the reason that few of country X's cars are sold in country Y. On the other hand, country X's very low tariffs allow country Y to sell many cars there at relatively low prices. Country X says that if country Y would lower its tariffs, then country X's cars would be able to compete in country Y and an equitable balance of trade would be achieved.

Which of the following, if true, would most undermine the validity of country X's explanation for the poor sales of its cars in country Y?

a) In places where the tariffs on goods from both countries are equal, country Y's cars far outsell cars from country X.
b) Cars imported from country Z sell poorly in country Y.
c) In countries where tariffs on imported goods are higher than in country Y, country X sells more cars than does country Y.
d) Other goods from country X sell poorly in country Y.
e) Sales of country Y's cars are high even in countries that have higher tariffs on imported goods than does country X.

Explanation: The correct answer choice must weaken the conclusion. The conclusion is: If equal balance of trade is achieved between Country X and Country Y, then Country's X cars will be able to compete.
How can they balance trades? IF Country Y reduces tariffs.

a) Incorrect. This statement refers to Country X and Y's competition with regards to other countries.
b) Out of scope. country Z...
c) It doesn't weaken the point "Country's X cars will be able to compete." It just states that country X sells more cars.
d) Out of scope. Talks about other goods when the topic of discussion is Cars.
e) This shows that reducing tariffs won't attribute to achieving high sales.

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Last edited by Shoumik on 28 Jul 2011, 06:04, edited 2 times in total.
Re: CR - Assumption 700 level - tariffs   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2011, 05:40