Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Current IMD Students' Blogs [#permalink]
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: My roof for the next year
Still 7 months to go to be at Lausanne. But, as Lausanne has a vacancy rate of 0.1% for rental properties, I booked my rental apartment yesterday for the next year at IMD. IMD has just made our search that much easy.
 College confirmation - Check
Apartment - Check
Visa / residence permit — will start soon
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: MBA
I always heard from most of the MBA graduates that one of the most important things that I would learn from an MBA is the “What are the right questions to ask?”
But, ever since I started thinking of an MBA, I’ve had to ask the right questions to myself to get an answer. Be it my strengths or weaknesses, my goal or purpose, why an MBA or what after MBA etc.,
Only when I answered all these questions, I realized that the MBA is what I want to do in life. Now, I have another 7 months before my MBA at IMD. The questions have already started popping in my mind. What do I need to know before the MBA, how do I equip myself for the perfect first day at the school, how do I lay out my career map from now on, what do I need to do to ensure a smooth move from India to Switzerland?
Questions, questions and questions … But, the biggest question I always had was why I should choose IMD over other colleges?
Here is the thing. I want my MBA to help me to enhance myself in terms of knowledge, network and brand equity.
Knowledge :
The right tools for my future career and the case based approach to have a deep understanding of how various businesses work. Starting off with the start-up projects to the International Consulting projects and the Discovery expedition, I think IMD a huge list of real world stuff in store for us. Other than all these activities, the fact that IMD has more than 1000 hours of classroom teaching is phenomenal and also daunting. Will be a hectic year indeed!!!
Network :
Do I want a tight-knit network or a huge network? A network of quality or quantity was the question that kept popping in my mind before I decided on IMD. Though, IMD MBA has only 90 candidates every year, when I was at Lausanne for the assessment day, I saw that the current students were very receptive, collaborative and encouraging. It clearly showed that IMD believes in a close-knit community rather than a huge community. A bold but a great idea.
Brand Equity :
Since an MBA is something which will stick on to me forever, I wanted to get one from one of the elite colleges. IMD is known to be one of the more difficult colleges to get in as they like to maintain a diverse set of people in a class of 90. This basically translates to not more than 10% from one nationality or even less than 10%. IMD also does a proper background check of it’s candidates. A unique full day of assessment of it’s candidates before accepting them into the program. These basically help you show your uniqueness to your future employers as getting through into a program with such stringent selection measures is in itself a big task. IMD’s unique and unmatched Leadership stream is also a big plus for me in the future. At the end of the day, I wanted to be a part of one of the 90 exceptional people who will shape the future of business.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: Prodigy Finance
Prodigy finance just made my life easier. The application process was simple, fast and thorough. The staff were very helpful and as I had my Swiss residence permit interview yesterday, they worked hard to get me the sanction letter by 15th of July.
It’s a definite recommendation for anyone looking for a loan for doing an MBA, especially the Indian students, considering the high rate of interest for education loan in India.
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: Swiss Visa approval!!!
I got a call on thursday confirming that my swiss residence permit “D” got approved. It just took 4 weeks for the approval to come in. Not bad, the website says it might take up to 8 weeks.
Just submitted my passport today for stamping purpose. It seems it might take 4 to 5 working days for the stamping process.
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: Swiss Visa stamped!!!
My swiss visa stamping is done and my passport was couriered through Blue dart. It took 5 days to get my passport stamped and couriered to my address.
In India, the passport has to be submitted at the nearest VFS centre. It’s a pretty simple walk in process which takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Always check for the local Swiss VFS office. No need to travel to Mumbai or Delhi, if you are not from these cities. I have got a visa from the 15th of December till March, though I had mentioned my travel date to be 24th of December. I think 15th of December is a norm. So, the second part of the residence permit will be done by the canton of Vaud when we do the registration at Lausanne.
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: Preparation for MBA!!!
Now that I have got all the important preparations to move to Switzerland ticked off, I am thinking of the actual curriculum now.
IMD will be posting a few study materials in September to get us all ready for the business terms we’ll be using in the class.
Still the thought of whether I need to join any classes to develop the finance and accounting part of my brain keeps popping every other minute… ((+_+))
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: Pre-Program Prep!!!
A week ago we were informed of our pre program preparation for Entrepreneurship and Finance…
2.5 months to go and we are already busy with our studies…
Where is my Texas Instruments BA 2 plus calculator?
Oops, have to brush up on excel too! MBA life just started!!!
Let’s get going…
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: A site for the partners of MBA candidates
A site for the partners of MBA candidates: A website we are creating for the better halves of the MBA candidates and the candidates themselves to know “the everything else” of an MBA. Please join and spread the word. Write a blog or start a topic in the forum. Help the others make a smooth transition…
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: Prep!!!
CVs, Finance, entrepreneurship, and many more. Days are passing by so fast. Before I could realise, we are almost at the end of October.

Just got hold of a TI BA 2 plus calculator for my finance preparation. Though, we may use excel for most part of the Finance classes, the calculator would be helpful during the exams. If you are an aspiring MBA candidate, get hold of one and start getting used to it.

Though its an easy one for most of the candidates who have a finance background, someone like me who have never had to deal with finance in his/her life could very well get familiarised with one. A short course on excel would do a world of good as well.

Getting all warmed up for the real studies at Lausanne… ☺️
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: The ship and I are both getting ready to propel ahead!!! The...

The ship and I are both getting ready to propel ahead!!! The ship shall, with its propeller and I shall, with IMD.

Another day at the Enavi dry dock for ship repairs at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: Final prep before the big trip!
Got an email confirming the approval of my wife’s Swiss visa. All major tasks done.
Just brushing up my excel and quantitative skills for the next year.
Bags almost packed. 17 days to go!!!
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: MBA Consort!!!
Hey guys, visit mbaconsort.com for information on the partners program of IMD. Thanks to Marcella Rispo for her time and photos.
A lot of important information even for us who are looking forward to the next year at Lausanne…
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: 10 Apps to have before you start your MBA journey
I’m about to start my journey at IMD from January 2016. Before
the journey starts, I wanted to finalize the list of apps that a business
school graduate must have on the first day of the business school. These 10
apps will definitely make your business school life easier. If you do think of
other apps that need to go on with this list, please share.

Swipes:
A clean, fast and intuitive task hub to keep tabs on all
your upcoming tasks and meetings.
The app is free for now. The app is available across various
platforms from iOS and Android to web.
Alternatives: Wunderlist, Todoist and Any.Do

Producteev:
Though Wunderlist is a good option to share lists and for
assigning tasks, we need to pay for the unlimited access to Files, assigning
and subtasks. This is where producteev fits in. For a business school graduate
to work in teams and ensure all the members of the group are on the same page,
producteev could be one of the best apps. The free version has unlimited access
to most of the tasks we are going to perform at business school.
Apps for iPhone, Android, iPad, Mac & Web are available.

Evernote
Though it hardly needs an introduction, it is a must have
for anyone. It can just nullify the use of various other apps for lists, group
tasks and even reminders. It can record audio. Though it could do absolutely
everything, if you are not game for the subscription service, you will be in
for a paltry 60 MB monthly upload limit. The Evernote plus with its 1 GB
monthly upload limit and the Evernote premium with its 10 GB upload limit could
be game changers with all the additional features.
If you do not want to cough up for the Evernote, then you
could use the above mentioned apps individually.
Alternatives: Super Notes (iOS), Asus SuperNote (Android)

Good Reader
This is an amazing tool for reading PDFs, highlight, markup
and even do free hand drawings. Fill up and sign PDF documents. It handles huge
PDF documents with great ease. It comes with a small price.
Alternatives: Xodo PDF reader and Editor (iOS and Android)

Roambi Analytics
Take data from excel, google spreadsheets and similar
environments and  create stunning visuals easily. You can even access the
visualizations offline.
The power of desktop analytics tools squeezed into an app so
simple, fun and easy to use. All this for free.

Bloomberg Business
The most important financial and business news, with the
added advantage of market data and portfolio tracking from one of the most
trusted sources available out there. I really like the idea of having all
information under one roof and without the hassle of expensive subscriptions.
Alternatives: WSJ, CNBC Business News and Finance and Market
watch

One Drive
Though there are many worthy competitors in the cloud
storage business, I chose One Drive as the best option as you get a 1 TB
storage option with Office 365 which is a must buy especially if you combine
with 4 of your cohorts to buy the home plan for 99$ or even cheaper (In effect, you end up paying 20$ for the whole Office Suite and 1 TB of cloud storage). Every one
gets 1 TB storage capacity which is more than enough for the entire year.  The app is fast and easy to use.
The
cheapest version if you go without an Office 365 would be a 50 GB limit for 2
dollars a month. The free storage though is only 5 GB from January 2016.
The second favorite or if you are not into OneDrive would be
Dropbox. Drop box is useful especially if use a lot of different devices. The free storage limit though is just 2 GB.
Alternatives: Google Drive (Free storage - 15 GB), Mega (Best free & encrypted
storage – 50 GB) & Copy (Free storage - 15 GB)

BA Financial Calculator Pro
Just in case you forget your financial calculator for the
class. An exact replica of the BA 2 plus Texas instruments calculator. Might be
a real value addition to your app collection.

Mind Node
One of the best mind mapping apps out there with an
intuitive and clear interface to help users brainstorm and be more creative
with little effort.
It comes for a nominal one-time fee rather than some of the
other more expensive options with subscription services.

Pocket Schedule
Last but not the least, the Pocket schedule lets you keep a
track of your courses, classes and assignments. This app will show the classes/lectures
you have for the week in the week-view. You remember the feeling of forgetting the important
lectures for the day during your school/college days. Now, you don’t have to
anymore with the help of Pocket Schedule.
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: Lausanne!

We are here!!! Arrived at Lausanne on the 29th of December.
It’s already been a week here and it was hard to even realize the time pass by. Meeting my cohorts everyday, a new party, pre program assignments and what not.
Completed all the administrative stuff here at Lausanne. The registration and biometric formalities are so organized that it hardly takes 5 to 10 minutes to complete these necessary processes. The metro system really simplifies our commute.
There was always a question on how expensive Lausanne is actually. Lausanne is expensive when we compare it to some of the other european cities. But, stores like Migros and Coop bring down the cost with some of their own budget stuff. I shall post the prices of some of the essential stuff here at Lausanne in one of my future blogs.
Let me post a few photos of Lausanne we took when my wife and I went for a walk along the lake yesterday. Happy New year everyone! Look forward to reading a lot more about IMD very soon. :)

Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: The first day!!!
It was an incredible and overwhelming experience to finally meet the other 89 cohorts from around the world. The opening exhibition was organized and methodical.
It was good to finally get to sit inside the auditorium as a candidate. It was nice to finally put a face to the people who have made our transition to Switzerland as smooth and easy as possible. The administrative support at IMD is second to none. The bar is set very high even before the course has started.

Lunch at the restaurant was nothing but top notch. It just feels better to know that this is the variety and quality of Lunch that we will be served throughout the year.

The day is here and the hectic schedule starts from Monday. The dean’s speech was informative. The strategy is clear. All 90 ready to walk hand in hand and look forward to the best career opportunities possible by the end of the year. The first two days made us all feel right at home. Let’s see how the rest of the year is going to be. I’m eager to know and experience the IMD Experience.
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: The first week!
I never believed that MBA life is hectic till I experienced the first week pass by. Wow… It is like an edge of the seat thriller. The thrill doesn’t seem to cease. And this is just the first week. The economics lectures and the work load on the first day seemed as if we were preparing for the final exams. Such was the level of excitement. Words won’t do justice to describe the amount of stuff we have learnt and the fun we have had learning in the last 4 days!!!
Teamwork it is!

Apart from the studies, we also got to experience the first the snowfall of 2016 today at Lausanne!

I would try my best to keep posting a blog a week at least. Back to studies. Have to complete two pending assignments.
Ciao!!!
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD - Current Student: Back to school!
Things are getting intense though it is just half way through the 2nd week. We did have a small party though during the weekend. A showcase of different cultures. Basically a breather to get us ready for the real stress that is waiting to knock on our doors.
The course is intensifying and so is the winter in Switzerland. It’s been snowing heavily the past week.

The nerves are settling down. Finally we are beginning to comprehend and communicate in the business language. The startup projects are going to begin. Seems like we are set for one hell of a year. Putting theory into practice right from the start. Will be back soon with a different point of view from one of my colleagues… SHASHANK (The one with the Khaki trousers)!!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts