Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:24 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Current UCLA Anderson Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM UCLA Anderson Current Blogs: NRI and PIO applying to Indian Business Schools – Part 2
Follow up from the post NRIs applying to Indian Business Schools – Part 1

My decision came down to  IIM Bangalore and UCLA Anderson. Before committing to a school, I posted this question on different MBA forums, spoke to current students and recent alums, and consulted friends and family. Speaking to different people, I was not only able to gather different prospectives but also be in a better position to make such an important decision.

India or Abroad 

I will share some of the views that I came across, obviously most of them are in my context and may vary from person to person. Firstly you really can’t compare India business schools to schools in Europe and United States. The schools are catering to different markets and countries. Its like comparing apples to mangoes. However I will try my best to summarize the discussion.

MBA from India

Economy continues to grow - India despite its ups and downs, will continue to grow, fueled by its growing population. Foreign companies will continue to flock and if the government opens up more for FDI, then we talking even better salaries and opportunities. Pursing management studies from a top business school in India will position you well to take advantage of this growth. In a few years time post your studies, you will be respected and rewarded for your knowledge of Indian market.

Job placements – Due to lack of top management talent in the country, jobs are plenty at top business schools. I know that IIM Bangalore has a track record of 100 placements for the last 10 years. Students do not have to deal with visa sponsorships and networking. Most smart students at these institutes have multiple offers if they are flexible with roles and location.

India it is - If India is the place you wish to spend rest of your career, then there is no better place to pursue your studies. You will have a good reputation amongst Indian employers, and a local network to fall back on.

Cost - One of the biggest reasons, why students consider India. If you are tight on finance or not willingly to take a loan, Indian studies are a great option. IIMs can charge a total of $42,000 whereas some private institutions such as MDI will be in the range of $60,000. Where you actually save is your living and travel costs.

Application process - Pretty straight forward but applicants will have a hard time projecting their complete story.

MBA from outside India

MBA experience - 
Nothing to match the experience that one would receive at top tier global business school. The class is more mature and experienced as compared to Indian business schools. If you would have noticed, all the above points touch on end result, but do not talk about the journey itself.

Global leader - You become a team player working with people from diverse backgrounds. You understand collaboration in the true sense and develop cross-cultural sensitivity. The school will give you access to number of international projects, in which you can further develop your international profile.

Alumni - Not only these schools have a big alumni base but also a truly global one. The schools have various international chapters and pretty strong chapters in their home country.

Job skills > Academic knowledge –  The MBA is more focussed on acquiring job skills. Even before the schools starts, the students begin to network with current students and alumni with similar interests. Focus is more on company presentations, coffee chats, conferences and relationship building.

Application Process – Extensive and time consuming. However non-traditional applicants can shine too.

In the end, it boils down to your risk appetite and the kind of learning you want out of your MBA. Personally for me, IIM-B was safe option and life would be hard at UCLA Anderson. But you only live once.

Will be posting about each business school application process in the later posts. Peace

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi all!

I want to apply for the FEMBA class of 2018. Before I begin the process I would like to know my odds of acceptance. I have six years of work experience, three in public accounting, three for a fortune 500 company. I have a degree in Finance, however i have 2.75 GPA. I took four classes this last semester in math related course and received a 3.5 GPA. Does this help? I have yet to take the GMAT, but in my practice tests I'm scoring in the 680 range. If I submit an application with the above credentials do I have a chance? I appreciate everyone's help!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM UCLA Anderson Current Blogs: Low budget but good entertainment – Movie review: Filmistaan (2014, Hindi)
Low budget film but high on entertainment. The film revolves around love of Bollywood in Pakistan and how cinema brings different people together. The lead actor, Shaarib Hashmi entertains the crowd by mimicking Bollywood movie scenes and actors. Although a good movie, I believe you will enjoy it more in the comfort of your home.

Rating – 3 out of 5. Have a good weekend.

Photo credits – Dearcinema.com

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM UCLA Anderson Current Blogs: I don’t get it when young people are chasing banking, insurance during internet revolution – Alexander Samwer

Alexander Samwer, MBA from Harvard Business School, and founder of Alando (valued at $5 Billion) and Jamba! (sold to VeriSign for $270 million) is very critical of young people chasing the wrong train. In his interview, he compares the opportunities in internet revolution to the ones during California gold rush, post world-wars and industrial revolution. He says that the market is big enough for everyone and he does not gets it when young people are not in the internet industry, biggest opportunity our generation is going to have.

The 20 minute interview is interesting, frank and worth watching.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM UCLA Anderson Current Blogs: Pre-MBA coursework – Fifa Football World Cup 2014 | Compilations of best world cup promotional videos
I am really excited this year. Not only I am relatively free, having secured my MBA admission but also more informed about the game and teams. Although Brazil is one of the best country to host this competition, I would have to stay awake late in the night to catch the action. Enough said, its time for the games to begin. I am not football pundit, so will not dwell into favourite team and top scorers but will definitely advice people to join the celebrations.

Below are few world cup related videos to get you excited.

1. Official World Cup Anthem  - This video has come under great criticism. People are saying that it feels like some tour operator’s promotion video.

[youtube2]p>

3. Nike, Risk Everything – Brillant is not the world for this. Hilarious and great production. Must see.

[youtube2]p>

5. Nike, animation  - Short animation film revolving around players fighting back against clones. Something like that. Rooney looks hilarious.

[youtube2]p>

Photo credit NELSON ALMEIDA/ AFP/Getty Images

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM UCLA Anderson Current Blogs: From Middle East to West Coast – UCLA MBA Student Voice Blog
The same is reproduced on UCLA Anderson MBA Student Voice Bloghttps://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/mba_students/2014/07/from-middle-east-to-west-coast.html

“California! Here we come!” Phantom Planet – California

I can’t remember how many times I have played this song since receiving my admission offer. I am truly ecstatic to join the Anderson family as a MBA 2016 candidate and as a student blogger.

Hello everyone. Before I begin sharing about my transition from Middle East to Los Angeles, I would like to introduce myself in this post. My name is Piyush and I am originally from India. The literal meaning of my name in Hindi language is elixir of immortality. Although I am aging too, I can share some tips to live longer.

I was born in a small town in north India called Karnal, which is also home to late Kalpana Chawla, first Indian-American astronaut and first Indian woman in space. I was only one week old before I started moving because of my father’s job. I’ve ventured around the world and called seven cities across five countries my home. I’ve shared rooms with students belonging to over 15 different nationalities during my university days in London. I mainly grew up in Gulf countries, which includes UAE, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait and Bahrain. Saudi Arabia is the only country missing on my list since my parents choose not to move there because of strict Islamic laws. I am now living in Bahrain and have seen the current Middle Eastern crisis unfold in front of my eyes.

Professionally, I am a biotech graduate with experiences in cluster development, retail, e-commerce, and oil & gas. At Anderson, I would like to explore opportunities in consulting and pharma/biotech. Outside of work, I am a big soccer fan and support local English club called Manchester City Football club (owned by UAE – that’s why affiliation). Fun for me, is spending time with friends, could be over sports or just about anything. I enjoy almost every competitive sport but personally like to play soccer and squash.

Please send any comments, burning questions, Middle East opinions, video of great soccer goals and tips to live longer to [email=%20piyush.jain.2016@anderson.ucla.edu]piyush.jain.2016@anderson.ucla.edu[/email]. You can also follow me on Twitter here

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM UCLA Anderson Current Blogs: Remembering Aaron Swartz: The Internet’s Own Boy – Revealing documentary

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM UCLA Anderson Current Blogs: Notes from “The Firm: The Story of McKinsey and Its Secret Influence on American Business” – McDonald, Duff
Good read about McKinsey and the evolution of consulting industry.

29 May 2014 - 7 July 2014

• The McKinsey consultant should make his way into his community’s establishment: He was expected to join local boards, get involved in charities, and even attend church.
  • Second, the McKinsey consultant had to inspire confidence with his appearance.
  • Long socks were required because Bower abhorred the sight of “raw flesh.”
  • And then there is McKinsey, projecting an image which suggests that, if God decides to redo creation, He will call in McKinsey.
  • It’s the only job I can think of where you start in general management, and then, if you’re successful, you end up in sales,” said an alumnus of the firm.
  • Barbara Minto’s The Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing, Thinking, and Problem Solving
  • The most successful McKinsey consultants are networkers of the highest order.
  • Deal-making skills have become more important than scale or scope, and strategic insight and foresight more important than structural position
  • Restless curiosity
  • McKinsey alumnus Paul Chellgren, who went on to become president of Ashland Oil, explained the preference to BusinessWeek in 1993: “[Working at McKinsey provides] a cram course in business experience,” he said. “It was a compressed opportunity to see a lot of companies, industries, and problems in a short period of time.
  • McKinsey’s employs an objectivist, skeptical, fact-based, integrative, and analytical approach to solving its clients’ problems.

All Excerpts from Duff, McDonald. “The Firm: The Story of McKinsey and Its Secret Influence on American Business.” Simon & Schuster

This material may be protected by copyright. Photo credit e-architect.co.uk

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Piyush Jain Everyday (UCLA Current Student): New post on UCLA Anderson Student Voice Blog – Why UCLA Anderson?
alex27
Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Piyush Jain Everyday (UCLA Current Student):
New post on UCLA Anderson Student Voice Blog – Why UCLA Anderson?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Piyush Jain Everyday (UCLA Current Student): Answered a few question for Accepted Blog on Anderson, Waitlist and MBA Application tips.
The same is reproduced on Accepted Blog - https://blog.accepted.com/2014/07/25/follow-up-mba-interview-with-future-ucla-anderson-student-piyush/

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now for a follow up interview with Piyush, who was recently accepted to UCLA Anderson. (We first met Piyush last year – you can read our first interview with him here.)

Accepted: Can you remind us a little about who you are? 

Piyush: I am an incoming UCLA Anderson MBA candidate with experience in development consulting, entrepreneurship (retail) and oil and gas. Most of my roles in these industries have been people-orientated and in sales. I am a biotech graduate from London and have lived in 7 countries, mostly in the Middle-East.

Accepted: Which schools did you get accepted to and why did you choose UCLA Anderson? Why do you think that’s the best school for you?

Piyush: I got accepted at number of top-tier business schools in India and the U.S., but choose Anderson mainly for the student body, diversity in recruitment and location. I have expanded this in detail on my Anderson student blog post here.

Based on my interests and past experiences, I will be looking in pharma/biotech marketing and sales at tech companies such as Google or Amazon. Anderson has focused its curriculum around different functional tracks including marketing, allowing me to focus early on. Also the school has a great relationship with companies such as Amgen and Google.

Accepted: Can you talk about your decision to attend a U.S. MBA program over a program in India? 

Piyush: It is difficult to compare MBA programs in India and the U.S. because they are serving different markets and addressing different business problems. India scores more on the economy growth front, job placements numbers, and cost. But U.S. schools such as Anderson stand out for job readiness, leadership, exposure, diversity and experience.

It also boils down to where you want to work immediately post-MBA. The schools have the biggest value in their respective regions. Having studied and worked in India, I was looking for a new and diverse experience.

Accepted: What are you most looking forward to with starting b-school in the fall? 

Piyush: I am most looking forward to being a student again. The excitement to learn new things, ask questions and at the same time have fun. I am also very excited to meet my classmates at Anderson.

Accepted: Can you talk about your waitlist experience at UNC? What did you do in between getting the news that you were on the waitlist and then getting the acceptance letter? Did you take steps to improve your profile, write a waitlist letter, etc.?

Piyush: I think the term waitlist should be renamed to some actionable term such as reach-out or something. A lot of candidates simply choose to wait, which really does not help their application. I understand that some business schools (such as Ross), only allow you to send one update but most schools are happy to host you on-campus and learn about your progress.

I was waitlisted at a few schools, and the first thing I did was seek feedback. You will be surprised how the admissions team views your application. Since I was not able to improve my profile drastically, I visited the school, networked with current students, and reached out to admissions team frequently.

Patience and persistence is generally rewarded at this stage of application.

Accepted: An MBA is not cheap – do you have any tips for our readers on paying for b-school?

Piyush: There are number of ways to finance an MBA, ranging from company sponsorship to private loans. I believe a strong GMAT score and application certainly helps you land a scholarship.

Apart from customized loan programs for international students, students can ease their financial burden during studies with academic internships and teaching assistant positions.

Accepted: How do you plan on spending the time between now and when you start school in the fall? Are you doing anything to prepare for b-school?

Piyush: I am taking some time off from work and travelling in India. Anderson has kept us busy with weekly emails, which ensure that we are ready with everything. The UCLA Anderson Parker Career Management Center has started working with us closely.

I am also doing a small pre-MBA course at mbamath.com to get ready for the academic rigor of business school.

Accepted: What would you say are your top three MBA admissions tips?

1. Start early – This is very important. I used a number of resources from Accepted.com and Admissionado to kick-start my applications.

2. GMAT score matters, at least for Indian applicants – A couple of business schools asked me to increase my GMAT to 740 during the waitlist period because I was competing with fellow Indian citizens many of whom also presented stellar applications. My GMAT score was already 720.

3. Take the medicine – Spend the time and resource to learn about the business school you are interested it. Your research and interest directly reflect in your essays and interview.

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school applications, please see our MBA Application Packages.

You can read more about Piyush by checking out his blog, Piyush Jain: Science, Technology & Sports, and following him on Twitter here. Thank you Piyush for sharing your story with us.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
FROM Piyush Jain Everyday (UCLA Current Student): Time to move again! – Post on Financial Times MBA Blog
The same is reproduced on Financial Times MBA Blog

The shortest I have lived in a city is six days and the maximum is five years. I was only six days old before my parents moved from Karnal, a small town in northern India to Bangalore, also known as the Electronic City of India.

Since both my parents were working, I would spend my day with three different families, who were speaking three different languages. Before I even knew it, I had moved to three cities in India and three countries in the Middle East by the age of 12. And that’s how discovering new places and experiencing new cultures became a passion.

I did my undergraduate degree in London and during those three years I travelled extensively in Europe. I have been working in Bahrain for the last two years. After going through the emotions of deciding to pursue an MBA it was relatively easy for me to answer the “where?”. Having lived in Asia and Europe, North America was my obvious choice.

This fall, I am starting my full-time, two-year MBA at UCLA Anderson School of Management in the heart of Los Angeles. I could not have asked for a more diverse and dynamic place to pursue my education.

Through my posts on the FT MBA blog, I will document my journey as I make my transition from the Middle East to the west coast and from a life of an oil & gas professional to a UCLA student. As an international candidate, I will share my experiences and challenges, which could be social, academic or professional.

I also hope to maintain a dialogue with the readers during these years. Please send any comments, questions, tips for living in LA, MBA jargons and new island discoveries in the comment box below. You can also follow me on twitter @0jain

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Preparing for classes - Repost from FT
Originally posted on Financial Times MBA Blog - https://blogs.ft.com/mba-blog/2014/09/09/preparing-for-classes/https://blogs.ft.com/mba-blog/2014/07/28/time-to-move-again/

Although we still have 10 days before our orientation, UCLA Anderson has kept us on our toes both professionally and socially. I was accepted onto the course in May and since then have received weekly emails from admissions and student affairs teams. Some of the activities are:

• Meets-ups – A journey is best measured in friends. Both the business school and the students organise local meets in most major US cities and international locations such as Shanghai and Delhi. Since I have arrived in Los Angeles, I have been meeting students during Sundowners, a weekly UCLA Anderson happy hours get-together.
  • Career search – Although most applicants have a strong story for business schools, they are not bound to it once they get admitted. Business schools make us aware of different industries and functions, some of which may not even be on our radar. Over the summer, UCLA Anderson has shared various career guides and alumni work profiles for us to get a sense of each industry or function.
  • Networking – The buzzword of business schools. I have been consolidating my existing network and reaching out to second and third degree connections in my industry of interest.
  • Moving in - For international students, this is like starting a whole new life. We have to apply for fresh IDs, bank accounts and a social security number. Staying in university housing is an easy option but the set-up cost is still considerable.
  • Travel – For many of us starting school, the summer was the longest vacation we might ever have. I used this time to travel within India and spend some quality time with friends and family. I also arrived early to go on a three-day pre-orientation trip near San Diego.
  • Academics – Business school can be academically challenging and we were offered maths and excel workshops over the summer. Before school starts, we also have one-day refresher workshops in different core subjects such as finance and accounting. I also enrolled onto MBAmath.com, which offers some MBA preparation material.
I will continue to expand on each bullet point above in future posts. Please send any comments, questions, excel shortcuts, yardsale locations and unheard career opportunities via the comment box below. You can also follow me on Twitter @0jain

Pre-orientation trip near San Diego
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Pre-Orientation Trip: Santa Cruz Island - Joint Post By Zafeer Khan & Britney Sussman
With orientation just a week away groups of Anderson students went on various excursions across the State from Yosemite to the Sierra Nevadas to Santa Cruz Island. I was lucky to be able to join fellow blogger Britney Sussman (see her comments below), along with eight other Anderson students for a two-day camping trip to the wonderful Santa Cruz Island. After a 1-hour ferry ride, we arrived at Scorpion Bay with pristine blue water and dramatic kelp forests. There was plenty of wildlife to spot from sea lions to foxes to whales (pictures below). Kit Hansen (Anderson ’15) answered all our questions regarding life at b-school so a special thanks to him. And thanks to our UCLA undergraduate guides, Spencer and Kaitlyn, for organizing action-packed days of hiking and snorkeling, as well as feeding us the best camping food ever.

The BS POV – I wasn’t able to attend A-Days, the official preview weekend for admitted students held back in March. Therefore this pre-orientation camping trip was my first opportunity to interact with my new classmates. I’ll admit that I was a little nervous heading into the excursion. What if we didn’t click right away? Would camping with complete strangers on a deserted island for three days be awkward? Would we bond over the lack of showers? Luckily my worries were squashed before we even boarded the ferry to Santa Cruz Island. Within the first hour, I realized that I was among an exceptional group of people. As Zafeer mentioned, there were only 10 incoming first-years on the trip, but I was immediately stuck by each person’s diversity, intelligence, passion, and all-around coolness. Our group had flocked from far corners of the earth: Chile, Japan, Bangladesh, Canada, New York, Atlanta, etc. Each had accomplished serious career milestones and had distinct visions for how he or she wanted to impact the future. It was great to share stories while we trekked all over the island, and despite all of our differences, there existed a special like-mindedness. The trip further confirmed why Anderson felt like such a good fit; it’s the people it attracts. And if the people make the place, this is going to be a great two years!

ANDERSON 16 – watch out, here we come!

Getting ready to snorkel

Striking crazy poses

Local wildlife…whale!

We were told to hide our dirty socks from these guys…unless you wanted to see fox in socks!

Our awesome guide Spencer….after two great days of camping.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Application Tips, Part 1
With UCLA Anderson's Round 1 Application Deadline for the Class of 2017 quickly approaching (October 22!), I want to begin the first of my ongoing series of application tips. Please note: they are drawn strictly from my own experiences. I hope they are helpful for you!

We've begun our first-year orientation and, my goodness... Anderson simply cannot be beat. I am blown away by the orientation experience, but mostly by all of my colleagues! My classmates are intelligent, confident but not overly so, social and engaging, inquisitive, friendly, and dynamic. It's overwhelming to think that after only four days I know these are going to be friends for life.

In today's entry, I'll start by breaking down my application tips into three main categories. They are:

1) Show you can do the work

2) Show that you are a great fit

3) Show that you have an idea of what makes you extraordinary, and can apply that to a career of relevance

Show You Can Do the Work

Plain and simple, this boils down to GMAT/GRE and GPA. Be sure to check the school's 80% range for each. Anderson is very transparent about this, so aim to achieve somewhere in the 80% range. If you can go higher, do so.

However, let me share with you this: one of my personal misconceptions in the application process was devoting a disproportionate amount of anxiety to the GMAT. Once you have a good score, move on. Seriously - demonstrating well-roundedness, career focus, effective management of your letters of reference, and overall "fit" takes an enormous amount of time and energy. Understanding how to perform well on the GMAT is just one of many criteria. To be competitive, aim to score at or above the average and then consider that you have "checked that box". If you're below the average, determine if the time invested in re-taking the GMAT is worth the effort. If you can score above the average, you will be more competitive (the decision to re-take or not is management in itself, no?) Present the strongest to your ability, and then move on to the very, very important other elements of the application.

Show that you are a great fit

The application process is not arbitrary, and whenever you see an opportunity to demonstrate "fit", do so. Anderson is a remarkable place to study because of the people that it attracts and who are attracted to it. Hint: "share success, think fearlessly, drive change" are fundamental to who we are as a student body. Take the time to truly reflect on this prompt and be certain your application continues to stay relevant to these defining principles.

Show that you have an idea of what makes you extraordinary, and how you can apply that to a career of relevance

Let me quickly mention a story. I was interviewing an applicant in my previous position. He was bright, energetic, had a great resume, relevant experience, and an overall positive energy. I asked, "What are your 5 year career goals?" Crickets. Tumbleweeds. Silence. (he didn't get the job)

What gameplan do you have for your future? How do you see your extraordinary self adding value to an industry? Knowing these and expressing them effectively, no matter what they are, are important because they will lend credibility to you as an applicant and as a business school student. Recruiting and career services hits heavy from day 1 (in fact, even before stepping foot on campus). The more focused you are on your career path, the easier this process will be.

There's so much more to share, but hopefully this is helpful for the Round 1 applicants out there. The application process, believe it or not, is actually very much the first chapter in your MBA experience. Embrace it, have fun, and GOOD LUCK!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM UCLA Current FEMBA Students: My first official week at UCLA Anderson!
Hey Everyone,

We have been on a summer break here at FEMBA and there have been great summer courses and International trips to Argentina, South Africa and South Korea. We'll write more about it in the upcoming few weeks. For now, we have a blog post from Geetha Rajan (FEMBA 2017) where she shares her experiences during her first week at Anderson. Enjoy reading!

-Sandeep Shah

================================================================

My first official week at UCLA Anderson!

Flying anxiously on my 6.5-hour plane ride from Boston, I was really excited to attend the Leadership Foundations.

In a room filled with more than 300 students, we had a very warm welcome by Dylan Stafford - Assistant Dean, FEMBA on the first day. As he was going through the statistics of the class in terms of their achievements, I felt privileged to be amongst the smartest people. Dylan’s welcome was followed by Gonzalo Freixes - Associate Dean, FEMBA and Magaret Shih – Senior Associate Dean, FEMBA sharing their excitement in welcoming the class of 2017 and some words of wisdom.

On day two, we were split into our individual sections. It was closer setting of people and much more intimate. Going through our first group exercise based on IDEO Design theme was very interesting to note how everyone behaved in a group setting with people we were not very familiar with. I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to collaborate and successfully complete the task.

On day three, I was part of the Leadership Odyssey. Without giving away too many details, this was certainly the most memorable and cherished day of the Leadership Foundations for me! I started to recognize the power of inspiring people and pushing them to stretch beyond their limitations. This experience resonates with a famous quote from Andrew Carnegie - “No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself, or to get all the credit for doing it.”

Day Four was geared towards understanding your personality, leadership styles, skills and weaknesses with the Birkman exercise and Power Speech. Not being very familiar with the campus, Scavenger Hunt was a great way to get around the campus and taking fun-filled photographs with your teams.  

The last day we went through our first case-study analysis. Having heard so much about case-studies in Business Schools, I got to experience this first hand. It was a very good exposure to real-life scenarios and an effective way to get acclimated to various types of management issues.

Saving the best for the last was our crazy, wild and incredible HAPPY HOUR that was organized every day of the Leadership Foundations! It was a great opportunity to get to know each other and building the ever-lasting bond with one another! 

-Geetha Rajan

https://www.linkedin.com/in/geetharajan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM From UCLA Students' blog: Orientation 2016! (aka: the best two weeks of your life, ever)
"U-C-L-A-, UCLA Fight, Fight, Fight!"

For the past two weeks, our neighbors in Westwood could hear the UCLA 8-Clap (above) at virtually any hour of the day. That's because we were in MBA Orientation - and for those who seek the coveted MBA, Orientation is as monumental as the moment Charlie first sets eyes on Willy Wonka's chocolate factory and sees all the scrumdidilyumptiousness of what the next two years will bring.

To expand, the MBA Student Voice Blog Team has collaborated to tell you about our best experiences at Anderson Orientation! We start with...James Huntington:

"One of the main reasons why I decided to attend Anderson was because of the people.  Everyone that I interacted with before stepping foot on to campus was great!  They were happy, friendly, down to earth, and driven.  My impression of the people at Anderson was further solidified during Orientation.  It was a blast getting to know so many members of the Class of 2016 over the past few weeks.  It is honestly humbling to be around such amazing and accomplished people.  My favorite things about Orientation was getting to know the other 73 students in my Section, good ol' Section C.  Whether is was doing a crazy scavenger hunt in 100 degree weather or doing a random Bollywood dance in our section skit, it was great being around such awesome people.  I am excited to continue to get to know the members of my class over the next two years.  Hopefully we will continue to have as much fun as we did during Orientation." - James Huntington, UCLA Anderson MBA Candidate 2016

Brittany Sussman:

"On October 2nd, the first day of actual classes, I was handed a stack of twenty-five hand-written thank you notes. They were from an incredible group of 8-9 year olds who we tutored during Orientation. Every incoming Class of 2016'er spent a day in a classroom at an underprivileged Los Angeles school teaching students critical financial literacy concepts. It was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in a long time and further demonstrated UCLA Anderson's commitment to its community. Between this volunteering experience, raising money for Challenge for Charity (C4C), and the scads of clubs I joined that all have an element of giving back, Orientation reaffirmed that I'll be able to get engaged in a deep, meaningful way." - Brittany Sussman, UCLA Anderson MBA Candidate 2016

Zafeer Khan:

"After waiting for almost three months I finally jumped into orientation week at Anderson. After two and a half weeks of skit preparation, scavenger hunt, game day competitions and happy hours, I have not only made tons of friends but truly understand the culture of shared success here. In the competition for the section cup I always felt it was a friendly competition and we all made sure to have fun in the process. It was great to learn about the massive amount of resources that are available to students at Anderson and exciting to start looking into our career paths to figure out strategy for the coming year. If the past two weeks is any indication, I know I made the right choice coming to Anderson and will build some lifelong friendships here." - Zafeer Khan, UCLA Anderson MBA Candidate 2016

Michael Leve:

In summary, Orientation consisted of...

* A visit from Starbucks' Chief Community Officer and Executive Vice President

* A visit from the US Treasury Secretary. You know, just another Tuesday.

* Tutoring K-5 graders on business concepts

* A full day of outdoor games, relays, and competition

* An outdoor Leadership Odyssey in which everyone faced and overcame their fear(s... of heights!)

* In-depth discussions about leadership models and competencies

* Lots of professional prep and many resume drafts

* And the opportunity to begin lifelong friendships

Below, the beginning of some of those friendships (we form learning team pyramids frequently, it's just kind of a thing)

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts