Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 15:54 It is currently 02 May 2024, 15:54

4.2 years
Nigeria
Female
Score: 336 GRE
GPA: 3.19
Pre-MBA industry: Tech
Post-MBA industry: Consulting
After 4 years working with start ups in different sub sectors of finance operations, I would like to make a switch to account to consulting particular in the social enterprise niche
Columbia
Full Time MBA
24 days ago
Round 3
AppliedApr 3, 24
Johnson (Cornell)
Full Time MBA
24 days ago
Round 2
AcceptedMar 29, 24
Scholarship75%
Columbia
Full Time MBA
24 days ago
Round 3
AppliedApr 3, 24
Wharton
Part Time MBA
24 days ago
AppliedJan 4, 24
DeniedFeb 16, 24
Ross Michigan
Full Time MBA
24 days ago
Round 2
AppliedJan 12, 24
DeniedApr 1, 24
Stern
Full Time MBA
24 days ago
Round 2
AppliedJan 18, 24
InterviewedApr 4, 24
Columbia
Full Time MBA
24 days ago
Round 3
AppliedApr 3, 24
Stanford GSB
Full Time MBA
3 months ago
Round 2
AppliedJan 4, 24
Harvard
Full Time MBA
3 months ago
Round 1
DeniedOct 6, 23
Darden
Full Time MBA
3 months ago
Round 1
AppliedSep 27, 23
AcceptedDec 7, 23
ScholarshipNone
Haas
Full Time MBA
3 months ago
Round 2
AppliedSep 27, 23
AcceptedDec 7, 23
ScholarshipNone
Comments (5 comments)
19 Oct 2023, 18:52
To add a bit more of rumor-grade feedback. In the last year we saw many GMAT scores get $$ scholarships and few of the GRE applicants. Not sure if that’s because GRE were low or because schools did not have as much appetite to fund GRE applicants - we will see better results in 2 months but if you are counting on scholarships, may want to consider a GMAT attempt if it is feasible. Again, this is highly speculative and not corroborated by hard data per se.
19 Oct 2023, 17:41
Hi! Welcome!
Great profile! And interesting combo of schools. HBS and Olin! 👀

Haas is not big into consulting (though they do place folks) - Fuqua or Darden may a better fit though of course you may have reasons to apply to Berkeley. It never hurts if you have the time and you have an app fee waiver.

If you are looking at consulting and scholarship, UNC can be a good middle ground as well as Tepper.

PS. Social and non profit tend to be VERY popular and competitive. Everyone wants these spots and social places really lack $$ to hire a lot of consultants so the spots are limited. Just setting your expectations.

-BB.
19 Oct 2023, 17:48
Thank you so much for this feedback

I would also like mention that my gpa is on a 5.0 scale. However since undergrad I have commenced my ACCA certification and I’m two papers from certification.

Given this, Do you think I have a shot at Stanford GBS and Wharton. If yes, how do I put my best application forth. If no, what can I get done by next year to give me a chance within the pool
19 Oct 2023, 18:02
The HSW are super competitive. Nobody can give a good chance prediction there (with a few exceptions of candidates)

Seeing that you did not get an interview invite at HBS, I think by default it would mean you need to assume they did not like you enough vs your peers. GPA may be one consideration. Even on a 4.0 scale it is low compared to 3.5-3.6 average so you need a 333+ GRE to offset any concerns about your academic success.

PS. It is harder to apply as a startup person and that’s likely one of the considerations since anyone can say they did a startup and make a few things up while working for BCG or even McDonalds is easier to evaluate.

PS. I am just guessing here a bit. Not trying to make you paranoid, but trying to probe for weaknesses.
19 Oct 2023, 18:14
Hello @dddi, Ola here, also from NG. Amazing profile overall. But I think you might need to take the HBS Core to strengthen your base. The GPA is sort of low. Also not sure what your college major was. If it wasn't Quant heavy and you had a 3.19/5, then you need to proof to Adcoms that you'd cope. If your college major was Quant focused, you still need the HBS Core + higher GRE to be competitive for your selected schools. Otherwise, you could consider some T25 - T50s that would yield similar results.
19 Oct 2023, 18:52
To add a bit more of rumor-grade feedback. In the last year we saw many GMAT scores get $$ scholarships and few of the GRE applicants. Not sure if that’s because GRE were low or because schools did not have as much appetite to fund GRE applicants - we will see better results in 2 months but if you are counting on scholarships, may want to consider a GMAT attempt if it is feasible. Again, this is highly speculative and not corroborated by hard data per se.