Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:46 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:46

United States
Male
Score: 755 GMAT Focus
GPA: 3.97
Pre-MBA industry: Consumer Products
Post-MBA industry: Consulting
Applying deferred to all programs. Finance/Econ undergrad degrees from Top 50 school. Hospitality and CPG internships, going to top 3 CPG company after graduation. Eagle Scout, Chinese-American
Harvard
Full Time MBA (2+2)
2 days ago
AppliedApr 24, 24
Wharton
Full Time MBA
3 days ago
AppliedApr 24, 24
Columbia
Deferred Enrollment Program
12 days ago
AppliedApr 15, 24
Stanford GSB
Deferred Enrollment Program
18 days ago
AppliedApr 9, 24
Booth
Booth Scholars
22 days ago
AppliedApr 4, 24
Comments (7 comments)
26 Mar 2024, 21:28
Haha I find that much of the fun of fitness is largely about the people you go to the gym with, not just the results (Although results are probably most important). That's great to hear though, I was worried that I don't have too much to write about. Hoping to do some really deep introspection and write essays that will complement the rest of my application!
26 Mar 2024, 18:44
Awesome scores! You should have no trouble getting past the gates numerically. Internship sound fantastic and it is awesome you already have a solid offer. The key to the deferred programs is to show that you have a high GPA, high score, and you were also busy doing a whole bunch of other things. It does not matter a whole lot what they are - sometimes even dabbling in a startup or something along those lines helps add depth to the profile.

P.S. Fantastic score by the way! Did you study super hard or it was pretty straightforward?
26 Mar 2024, 20:14
Wow, thanks for the response and for your insight, bb! I did a lot of involvement in student government and community councils etc. during my first and second years, but didn't do too much in the past two years. During my junior and senior years I joined a fraternity and did mostly social events, although I just recently started helping out with an app startup. Do you think that this is gonna be an issue? It also won't help that my essay writing skills aren't the best. Given what you've seen here, do you think I have a good shot at the deferred programs I've selected above?

To answer your question, I spent about 2 months studying, racking up around 170 hours of focused study time. The score definitely didn't come without struggle but I think still being in school helped! Thanks again bb!

Sorry for not responding directly to your comment btw, not sure why it's not letting me
26 Mar 2024, 20:19
I would see if you can get some of your peers to review your essays or somehow have the ChatGPT critique them. You can tell it something along the lines of you are an MBA admissions officer, what do you think about this essay and just try a bunch of prompts to see if he can point out all of the issues and then also ask how would you fix them and see what it suggests. I wouldn’t use the words that it generates because it’s a pretty big no-no but I would use the ideas and that’s a huge part of writing.

You should definitely mention an app start up and areas you’ve been exploring and trying. I don’t think anyone expects you to have this laser focus in college.

Basically that ad missions wants to see your character and whether you are someone who pushes themselves or someone who Plato and will take it easy. They obviously want the endless energy people which don’t exist 😂 they also want to succeed and someone who keeps trying and doesn’t give up and spend their time productively rather than scrolling Instagram, unless they are an Instagram model… you should also try to do your best to weave in stories from your internships and how they helped you learn certain things or how you enjoyed them and were distinguished. Just some ideas.
26 Mar 2024, 20:42
I really appreciate the advice! Very honored to get a direct response from you! I've always been rather skeptical of using ChatGPT in that capacity, but I think I'll ask it what it thinks of my essays as a preliminary check. I definitely have some people in mind who I can trust to give me good feedback on the essays. Something else I can think of is that I got really into fitness and strength training following my sophomore year. Maybe that is something I can use to explain the drop off in school involvement and also emphasize that I like to push myself to reach goals? Thanks for the essay ideas! Hopefully I can take that and turn it into something worth reading!
26 Mar 2024, 20:45
Achieving fitness goals is hard and it takes commitment and perseverance and focus and a lot of other really good qualities so you should definitely mention that!

PS. I wish I had that level of dedication to fitness 😂
26 Mar 2024, 21:28
Haha I find that much of the fun of fitness is largely about the people you go to the gym with, not just the results (Although results are probably most important). That's great to hear though, I was worried that I don't have too much to write about. Hoping to do some really deep introspection and write essays that will complement the rest of my application!
26 Mar 2024, 20:19
PS. I have no idea if my ChatGPT advice is legitimate by the way so don’t let me send you on the dark side. 😱