Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1953 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2730 [0]
Send PM
Re: Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he [#permalink]
tarek99 wrote:
Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, lost the ability to compose the moving musical pieces that had made him famous the world over.

(A) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration
(B) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, defiantly relying on for direction and inspiration awkward
(C) Dillon McKay, deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration here the subject Dillon McKay and the verb "lost" are separated, which is often wrong on GMAT
(D) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, which he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay
(E) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay

I pick E :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, lost the ability to compose the moving musical pieces that had made him famous the world over.

(A) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration -> which should not follow the person

(B) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, defiantly relying on for direction and inspiration

(C) Dillon McKay, deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration -> who should not follow the thing

(D) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, which he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay -> which follows muse .. correct

(E) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay -> who should not follow the thing

I have D and B left and D sound better.
B is not good. There are 2 subjunctives before and after 'Dillon McKay'. No good for this structure.
So I picked D.
Director
Director
Send PM
aMante wrote:

(A) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration -> which should not follow the person

(B) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, defiantly relying on for direction and inspiration

(C) Dillon McKay, deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration -> who should not follow the thing

(D) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, which he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay -> which follows muse .. correct

(E) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay -> who should not follow the thing

I have D and B left and D sound better.
B is not good. There are 2 subjunctives before and after 'Dillon McKay'. No good for this structure.
So I picked D.

Did you mean 2 modifiers ? subjunctive is a completely different thing aMante .....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Non-Profit
Schools:R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
GMAT 2: 710  Q48  V39
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:

(A) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration

(C) Dillon McKay, deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration

(D) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, which he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay

(E) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay

Please explain your answer.
Thanks!

Sentence must end with Dillon McKay because the non underlines part of the sentence begins with 'lost' which is a noun modifier because it describes Dillon and must therefore touch 'Dillon McKay'. On this basis I would eliminate A,B,C.

Since 'which' is a non essential modifier and in this case we require an essential modifier, I would choose E.'Who' can be an essential or nonessential modifier.And muse in this case I believe refers to a person.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
I think (D) is correct.

This question is 4 months old. Would it be too soon to post the OA ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:

(C) Dillon McKay, deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration

Thanks!

I would have chosen E because MUSE is not an object but a person - so we need the relative pronoun who/whom. I believe WHOM would have been more appropriate in this case. Since E has WHO I am ruling it out.

So D is the only other choice.

Please let us also know the source of this question. Pretty Nice. +1 to you for that.
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
OA is E. How?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Send PM
Maybe because the muse is a person?

whats the source of this q? is it official review or companies
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 519 [0]
Send PM
Sentence has modifier issue

(A) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration – [Which logically intended to modify witty and loyal muse but instead modified Dillon McKay – eliminate it]

(B) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, defiantly relying on for direction and inspiration [defiantly relying needs to modify witty and loyal muse not Dillon McKay – eliminate it]

(C) Dillon McKay, deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration [“Who he” in this context – awkward ]

(D) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, which he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay [Hold on]

(E) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay [who modifies people not attributes – eliminate it]

Answer: D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
OA shud be D .. E is not possible

Defination of Muse :https://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=muse

(A) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration (which points to Dallen and distorts the meaning )

(B) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, defiantly relying on for direction and inspiration (here though the construction sounds a bit awkward at first sight but is not incorrect (as per me) ; defiantly relying correctly modifies Dillion Mckay BUT it changes the original meaning of the sentence.)

(C) Dillon McKay, deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration (muse is NOT a person/group so who is wrong)

(D) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, which he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay (which correctly modifies the Noun just before it )

(E) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay (same as C )
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:

(E) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he haddefiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay

Thanks!

Its between D and E and I go with D.

For me "muse, which he had ..................." is better than "muse, who he had defiantly..........".
Director
Director
Send PM
can an attribute/thing be loyal and witty ?

I believe "who" refers to the muse .... it cant be which !!
Director
Director
 Q49  V35
Send PM
stallone wrote:

(A) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, which he defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration (which points to Dallen and distorts the meaning )

(B) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, Dillon McKay, defiantly relying on for direction and inspiration (here though the construction sounds a bit awkward at first sight but is not incorrect (as per me) ; defiantly relying correctly modifies Dillion Mckay BUT it changes the original meaning of the sentence.)

(C) Dillon McKay, deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration (muse is NOT a person/group so who is wrong)

(D) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, which he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay (which correctly modifies the Noun just before it )

(E) Deprived of his witty and loyal muse, who he had defiantly relied on for direction and inspiration, Dillon McKay (same as C )

or may be the "who" in option E is referring to "Dillon McKay"? May be the "who" is not referring to muse. Is such a construction possible? If so, then i've learned something new here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Noun uses of "muse," as described by dictionary.com

n.
Greek Mythology Any of the nine daughters of Mnemosyne and Zeus, each of whom presided over a different art or science.
muse
A guiding spirit.
A source of inspiration.
muse A poet.

In my opinion, the use of "loyal" in the original sentence implies that the muse is a person/thing.

Based upon this assessment, I agree with the OA. E is the correct answer.

This is definitely a difficult question though :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
tarek99 wrote:
stallone wrote:

or may be the "who" in option E is referring to "Dillon McKay"? May be the "who" is not referring to muse. Is such a construction possible? If so, then i've learned something new here.

Tarek - I have issue in believing that WHO in E can refer to DM. It's impossible.

Also, does anybody have any opinion on the usage of WHO versus WHOM in E? Don't you guys think that it should be WHOM and not WHO?

For example what's correct -

He has always been someone WHOM (or WHO) I have always looked up to?

Deprived of my maidservant, whom (or who) i have always counted on, I had a hard time doing the dishes.

I believe the usage calls for WHOM (Objective case of the pronoun) because it's the recipient of the intended action and NOT the doer.

Comments?

Also - could you share the source of this question and any OA if you have it.
Director
Director
Send PM
I agree with dwivedys... whom is better usage .... But since our answer choices don't have it, we choose the option which has who .... No which for people please ...... Yes muse has to be a person .... Can an object be loyal or witty ???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Send PM
Where the heck did this question come from? Only one answer has a chance of being right, and even that one is highly questionable.

(D) is the one which has a chance of being right. It is questionable because a muse is a person, or at least a personality, and so "which" should be "whom". Weren't the Muses originally personalities in the Greek myths? I can sort-of accept D, but only by pretending that a muse is some kind of inanimate or non-personal critter.

(E) is wrong because "who" is the object of the verb-particle combination "rely on", and so has to be "whom".

The other three answer choices aren't fooling anyone.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts