Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 May 2015, 00:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 215

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 14:28
This post received
KUDOS
Btw, Montréal is genuinely bilingual. I would not worry if at this stage you do not speak French.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE: Human Resources (Health Care)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 181

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS
Olivieri wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
cofre wrote:
Rotman - pros: location, international reputation, good rankings; cons: tuition.
McGill - pros: international reputation, job placement rate, smaller program (I have the impression this could mean it's easier to get a job); cons: location, small network (the "other side" of a small program)
Schulich - pros: good rankings, location (not as good as Rotman, but still Toronto) and tuition; cons: York doesn't have great overall reputation.

I would say McGill's location is its greatest asset! IMO the best city in the continent.

I couldn`t agree more!

I am fonddddddddddddddddd of Montreal

My RC Recipe
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-rc-recipe-149577.html

My Problem Takeaway Template
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-simplest-problem-takeaway-template-150646.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 17:36
This post received
KUDOS
Olivieri wrote:
Hi there Guys and Gals,

First post ever for myself as well. I`m an Mtl native, applied in mid-December and have been invited to interview Friday. I`ll let you know what the decision is once I receive the yay or nay. Like a couple of you, student loans are a big factor for me.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Carl

wishing you all the best of luck ... please share with us as well your application experience esp.the essay whether the final decision was a nay or hopefully a yay . best wishes :)

My RC Recipe

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 8

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 20:06
This post received
KUDOS
Olivieri wrote:
Hi there Guys and Gals,

First post ever for myself as well. I`m an Mtl native, applied in mid-December and have been invited to interview Friday. I`ll let you know what the decision is once I receive the yay or nay. Like a couple of you, student loans are a big factor for me.

Carl

Hi Olivieri,

Congrats on the interview. Currents students in Canada have told me getting an invite to interview at a Canadian MBA is as good as getting an admit. So good luck and hope for the best, you are almost in!

Oddly enough, I submitted my application early december and still have not heard back. Wonder if that's a bad sign.....?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 48

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 20:19
This post received
KUDOS
echelon99 wrote:
Olivieri wrote:
Hi there Guys and Gals,

Carl

Hi Olivieri,

Congrats on the interview. Currents students in Canada have told me getting an invite to interview at a Canadian MBA is as good as getting an admit. So good luck and hope for the best, you are almost in!

Oddly enough, I submitted my application early december and still have not heard back. Wonder if that's a bad sign.....?

Hey echelon99,

I've heard that about McGill as well (interview as good as in), but I'm preparing for a solid interview none the less.

Where did you do your undergrad? Work experience? Your GMAT is right on point with the average at McGill last year, so your chances are probably pretty good. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Carl

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 18:58
This post received
KUDOS
echelon99 wrote:
Olivieri wrote:
echelon99,

Sounds like a good story. During an open house, I was told most accepts have 3 to 6 yrs work experience - if there is an issue it would be there, but I would stay positive for now if I were you. I think the essays are your oppportunity to sell yourself, so the application might hinge on just how good your essays are.

For me, there were only 2 days between the invite date and actual interview, but I`m sure that's only because I`m local and they were flexible with dates.

Your right Carl,

that is what I was scared of as well. The bweek profile for McGill shows that 80% of the last year's admit had more than 30 months work exp. When I originally connected with Jonathan, I told him about the 2 year WE issue, he seemed to be ok with it then and encourage me to apply, although he never addressed the issue. I did do my best with the essays, hope it was good enough.

Pina said they should be getting back to me by the end of this week.

Nothing has come in yet.

p.s. my application status in the minerva account is still 'Ready for Review'. Does it ever change to something like 'Review in progress' or something?

echelon 99,

So I had my interview with Jonathan, I think it went well. The questions were straightforward and honest; Jonathan seemed more interested in getting to know me than to necessarily test me. I actually really enjoyed sitting down with him, he had a lot to say about the program and I was happy to hear it from the source. I was told that I should find out if I'm accepted within two weeks - I'll let you know what I hear back then. I hope it works out!

And to answer your question, my account still says "Ready for Review".

Carl

Check out my website, a First-Hand view of what it's like to go to Business School! http://www.carlolivieri.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 23:20
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Guys,

I applied in early November and was admitted to the program early December. If you have any questions about the interview or application process please let me know !
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 08:49
This post received
KUDOS
Carl, I'm currently the project manager for the construction of an 87MW power plant in Kenya. I graduated from McGill in 2010 with a B.Eng in electrical engineering, therefore I'll have about 3.3 years of work experience upon entering the program. I chose McGill for different reasons: first of all I did my undergrad there and was extremeley satisfied with the education they provided me with. The diversity of students at McGill is amazing and they have a program that focuses on international business which is something that I am definitely looking for as I will be working in different countries later on. The small class size is also attractive to me because the teachers will be more accessible which translates to a personalized MBA. With a small class size, you get to know your classmates a lot better as well. Last but not least, McGill's has a great reputation around the world.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2013, 18:10
This post received
KUDOS
TheNona wrote:
Any news from somebody accepted this year ?? I have a working experience of approximately 7 years ,my GPA is 70.48% (we do not use numbers in my country but I calculated it = 2.82) and I bombed up the GMAT less than 2 weeks ago by a 540 ; will retake in the end of March . Does anybody have data about the average GPA/GMAT scores accepted this year?

TheNona,

There is plenty of information on McGill GMAT averages in these forums, just run a search (it's 668 for McGill). Information on the average GPAs of admitted students will be much harder to find. That being said, you'll want to get at least a 600 on the GMAT when you retake it in March. At that point my recommendation would be to focus on applying to HEC Montréal and Concordia John Molson (but then again I do not know your full profile).

Carl

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
Hi TheNona,

I did a lot of research about McGill's MBA program before applying.
Their average GMA scoreT is 670 and average GPA was mentioned as 3.3 on many different sites.
To offset your GPA, you might want to aim for a 700+ GMAT. But then again, you have 7 years of work experience which puts less value on your academic credentials.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 05:10
This post received
KUDOS
CarlMtl wrote:
TheNona wrote:
Hi Carl , thank you for your valued advice :)

Unfortunately I will miss the deadline for HEC Montreal ( 15th March) , and Concordia is already my plan B .I will still struggle with a McGill application since there is a difference of one month between the deadlines of both JMolson (June 1st) and Desautels (May 1st) .But I still need to know more from a Montreal native like you bout the ranking and the reputation of JMolson ... is it promising to graduate from there or wait till next year and apply for HEC Montreal (In case MCGill is out of scope by all means).

Thanks in advance :)

Nona,

Those are very specific questions. In order for me to even attempt to give you a suitable answer. I would need to know more about your current work experience and exactly what industry/function you're hoping to slide into after the MBA. How is your french, btw?

Carl

Okay, so now that I know a little more about you (i.e. a Human Resources position interests you). I think Concordia's JMSB might be a fine fit for you, especially if you plan on working in Quebec. It is not as reputable as McGill or HEC (in my humble opinion), however it is a good school, and a lot of headway has been made in terms of the quality of education in recent years, notably in the JMSB department. If you do well on the GMAT (650+), I would suggest applying to McGill, but your undergrad GPA might end up hurting you. What is your mother tongue, what other languages do you speak?

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 215

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
CarlMtl wrote:
. If you do well on the GMAT (650+), I would suggest applying to McGill

Maybe even 600+?

Also, I found Desautels to be a very approachable school. You can introduce yourself by e-mail and ask if they would encourage you to apply (try directly to Jonathan). They have been very friendly with me in the past, and the most down-to-earth school I researched.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
Dear Every body I am really speechless towards your kind support . I contacted Jonathan and he encouraged me to apply but I must achieve a score of at least 600 on my retake .However , I will still have a plan B HEC Montreal (they advised me to apply and catch the deadline then update my score upon retake ) and JM Concordia .Hmmmmmmmmmm ... the next GMAT will be a life or death battle

My RC Recipe

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:56
This post received
KUDOS
Ducksworth wrote:
CarlMtl wrote:
. If you do well on the GMAT (650+), I would suggest applying to McGill

Maybe even 600+?

Also, I found Desautels to be a very approachable school. You can introduce yourself by e-mail and ask if they would encourage you to apply (try directly to Jonathan). They have been very friendly with me in the past, and the most down-to-earth school I researched.

Ducksworth could very well be correct with the 600+; I know someone who was admitted with a 630. My suggestion was to achieve a high score on your GMAT to make up for your GPA. It's too bad the GMAT can be such a tough nut to crack. In my experience with the admissions process at McGill, it seemed like Jonathan put more emphasis on raw numbers than essays and the sort.

Case in point, the following is a verbatim discussion I had with Jonathan on the day of the interview:
Me: How could I improve my chances at receiving a scholarship?
Jonathan: Get a 750 on the GMAT.
Me: Really?
Jonathan: Yes.

That being said, I received a 35% scholarship with my admission (almost certainly due in large part to my 700 on the gmat).

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
I decided not to waste time struggling with the HEC Montreal essay especially that some transcripts will take more time than expected to arrive by mail .I will focus on the GMAT keeping an eye on Desautels and JM only .Better safe than sorry

My RC Recipe

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
TheNona wrote:
I decided not to waste time struggling with the HEC Montreal essay especially that some transcripts will take more time than expected to arrive by mail .I will focus on the GMAT keeping an eye on Desautels and JM only .Better safe than sorry

Good luck nona, give it your best shot.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2013, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
TheNona wrote:

Good luck Nona, no mercy!

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
caramia81 wrote:
I have just realized that I did not indicate my "Potential Supervisor" in my application! :(
Is there any way to "fix" it thru Minerva account?
If not, How bad is it for my application? Anyone knows? Help...

Relax Caramia. An MBA is a non-thesis program and therefore no one is supposed to supervise your work. I left this field empty and was admitted. Don't worry about it :) Best of luck !
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 12:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hello All,

I have been admitted to the Fall 2013 cohort as well. Looking forward to connecting with you all in August.

Submitted my app on Jan 16, had my interview with Jonathan on 26th feb and got the admit 8th March.
I have 26 months of experience in Information Technology, GPA 3.56 and GMAT 770.

See you :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 11:37
This post received
KUDOS
TheNona wrote:
temuod wrote:
TheNona wrote:
This topics inspires me ... looking forward to seeing all of you next August , guys :) will retake the GMAT on April the 3rd and then immediately start to work on the application .

By the way I forgot to ask ... do we fill the essay in the application itself or do we upload it as PDF with the rest of the documents on the minerva ?

The essays should be uploaded on minerva. Good luck on your gmat!

thanks for the nice wish :) so you mean I can submit the application same day after the test to allow my references enough time to upload their filled recommendation forms and then start working on the essay the and scanning the transcripts the next day .Do I have a deadline for uploading the documents from the time I receive the Minerva data i.e within a week for example or it must just be before May 1st ? They will not receive my official score before 3 weeks from the test day (3rd April ) any way .

Thanks in advance , temuod :)

Yes you can submit your online application right after you complete your gmat. The essays will be uploaded on minerva. The only deadline you have to respct is may 1st. However the earlier you submit, the better.
Re: Desautels (McGill U) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2013, 11:37

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  14    Next  [ 279 posts ]