Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 0

Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 09:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (02:43) correct 31% (00:59) wrong based on 957 sessions
Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a
crust that is not seamless or stationary, rather it is
fragmented into mobile semirigid plates.

(A) Despite its covering the entire planet, Earth has
a crust that is not seamless or stationary,
rather it is

(B) Despite the fact that it covers the entire planet,
Earth's crust is neither seamless nor is it
stationary, but is

(C) Despite covering the entire planet, Earth's crust
is neither seamless nor is it stationary, but
rather

(D) Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's
crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but
rather

(E) Although covering the entire planet, Earth has a
crust that is not seamless or stationary, but
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
GPA: 3
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 6

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
My Ans - D
Reason -
1) earth's crust should immediately follow the action i.e "covering the entire planet" because it is the one actually covering the planet.
2) Parallelisim - Earth's crust is Neither x, nor y, but rather z. X, Y and Z should be parallel.

get what u like or like what u get

Expert Post
11 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 308

Kudos [?]: 487 [11] , given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2012, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First off, we need to figure out what is 'covering the entire planet.' 'Earth' would not make sense as earth does not cover earth. Eliminate (A) and (E). Next, the construction is NEITHER X NOR Y. Eliminate (B) and (C). Both contain 'it.' And just like that the answer is (D) :).

Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 01:42
ChrisLele wrote:
First off, we need to figure out what is 'covering the entire planet.' 'Earth' would not make sense as earth does not cover earth. Eliminate (A) and (E). Next, the construction is NEITHER X NOR Y. Eliminate (B) and (C). Both contain 'it.' And just like that the answer is (D) :).

Hi, here in the option D, isn't 'but' and 'rather' redundant ? :roll:
To me this sentence sounds awkward -> ".... seamless nor stationary, but rather it is fragmented... "
That's the reason I choose B, though the construction NEITHER X NOR Y was not being followed there.

Please clarify.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 03:04
ankurjaini wrote:
ChrisLele wrote:

Hi, here in the option D, isn't 'but' and 'rather' redundant ? :roll:
To me this sentence sounds awkward -> ".... seamless nor stationary, but rather it is fragmented... "
That's the reason I choose B, though the construction NEITHER X NOR Y was not being followed there.

Please clarify.

Correct. I felt the same thing and eliminated D.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3675 [3] , given: 185

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 08:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi there,

Let’s examine Choice B:
Despite the fact that it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor is it stationary, but is:
1. This choice uses neither X nor Y where X and Y should be parallel. However,
X = seamless (adjective)
Y = is it stationary (clause)
These entities are not parallel.

2. Also in a statement, a subject is followed by a verb. Here the verb is followed is by the subject. This structure is used in questions. For example: Where were you all this while? In this choice “is it stationary” follows a structure that is used in question.

Now let’s analyze choice D, the correct answer:
Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather:
In this choice neither is followed by “seamless”, an adjective, and nor is followed by “stationary”, another adjective. This choice is absolutely correct.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 16

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 08:33
egmat wrote:
Hi there,

Let’s examine Choice B:
Despite the fact that it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor is it
stationary, but is:
X = seamless (adjective)

2. Also in a statement, a subject is followed by a verb. Here the verb is followed is by the subject. This structure is used in questions. For example: Where were you all this while? In this choice “is it stationary” follows a structure that is used in question.

Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather:
In this choice neither is followed by “seamless”, an adjective, and nor is followed by “stationary”, another adjective. This choice is absolutely correct.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Dont you think but and rather redundant ????

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3675 [4] , given: 185

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 09:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
shamilshah22 wrote:
Dont you think but and rather redundant ????

Hi there,

I would not say "rather" is redundant in presence of "but" because "but" presents contrast, while "rather" is used to show preference for one thing over the other. Another usage of "rather" includes expressing emphatic affirmation or acceptance. In this sentence, "rather" has been used to show that emphasis of the acceptance that Eath's crust is actually fragmented into mobile semirigid plates even though it covers the entire planet.

Take for example these couple of sentences from different articles published in nytimes.com:

1. There is no dialogue, no linear story, but rather an hour’s worth of scenes in which puppets illuminate an abstract cycle of poems.
2. Erik D. Prince, chief executive of Blackwater USA, told a Congressional committee on Tuesday that his company’s nearly 1,000 armed guards in Iraq were not trigger-happy mercenaries, but rather loyal Americans doing a necessary job in hostile territory.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.75
WE: Corporate Finance (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 4

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 06:53
Shraddha,

Thanks for the explanation above.
I have two questions regarding this problem.

1) Can I exclude choice B by using the logic that since "is" is coming before neither it should not come after nor. Is it the same logic as you have explained.
2) In correct choice D, but is coming after comma so doesn't it becomes and Independent clause. But then I do not see a subject in that clause?

Thanks a lot,
Sugandha
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 13:28
scp wrote:
Shraddha,

Thanks for the explanation above.
I have two questions regarding this problem.

1) Can I exclude choice B by using the logic that since "is" is coming before neither it should not come after nor. Is it the same logic as you have explained.
2) In correct choice D, but is coming after comma so doesn't it becomes and Independent clause. But then I do not see a subject in that clause?

Thanks a lot,
Sugandha

@Sugandha,
Can I also put my idea ?
1. Yes. Correct construction is neither X nor Y, where X and Y should be parallel. In option B, X and Y are seamless and 'is it stationary'. They are not parallel.
2. You mean correct should be as below?
Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather it is fragmented into .. ( including subject it)

Consider similar construction. M is neither X nor Y, but rather Z.
Here X, Y and Z should be parallel. In this case, usage of it would make Z as a clause whereas, seamless and stationary are just adjectives.

D says,
Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather fragmented into mobile semi rigid plates.. All are parallel.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 23

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 23:11
egmat wrote:
Hi there,

Let’s examine Choice B:
Despite the fact that it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor is it stationary, but is:
X = seamless (adjective)

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

But in 'D'
the idiom construction should be not 'X' but rather 'Y'

Thriving for CHANGE

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 1.4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 14:44
hi,
i rejected D & E bcoz although(subordinator) and but(coordinating conjunction) can't go together.
pls help in this.

br//
suryav
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3675 [1] , given: 185

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 06:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
suryav wrote:
hi,
i rejected D & E bcoz although(subordinator) and but(coordinating conjunction) can't go together.
pls help in this.

Hi Surya and Aristocrat,

This is the sentence with the correct answer choice D.

Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary, but rather fragmented into mobile semi-rigid plates.

We need to understand what the contrasting information in this sentence is. The contrasting information is that although the earth’s crust covers the entire planet, it is fragmented and not seamless.

So here “although” is not used against “but” in that the two contrasting words are negated. ”but” has been used to express the contrast that the earth’s crust is not seamless but is fragmented. So there are actually two points of contrast –
A. Earth crust covers whole planet, but it is not seamless.
B. Earth crust is not seamless but is segmented.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 14:09
despite +noun
is idiomatic

despite +doing

is not idiomatic

is that correct?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative

Kudos [?]: 3675 [1] , given: 185

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
despite +noun
is idiomatic

despite +doing

is not idiomatic

is that correct?

Hi thangvietnam,

1. despite + noun is a the correct idiom. Example: Despite heavy snow, we went to the concert.

2. depite + verb-ing (doing) is also a correct idiom where verb-ing is a noun. Example: Despite finishing all her work on time, Mary could not go to meet her friend.

Both these usages of "despite" is correct.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE: Other (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 34

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 22:10
egmat wrote:
thangvietnam wrote:
despite +noun
is idiomatic

despite +doing

is not idiomatic

is that correct?

Hi thangvietnam,

1. despite + noun is a the correct idiom. Example: Despite heavy snow, we went to the concert.

2. depite + verb-ing (doing) is also a correct idiom where verb-ing is a noun. Example: Despite finishing all her work on time, Mary could not go to meet her friend.

Both these usages of "despite" is correct.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha
More on Despite and Although usage
This OG13 question has the following explanation for Although and Despite usage -
"Despite and Although are very close in meaning. However Despite is a preposition and needs to be followed by a noun or a noun phrase, while although is a conjunction and should be followed by a finite clause. Pardon my grammatical ignorance for asking this but can you elaborate on the usage in case of Finite clause for Although and Noun phrase for Despite. I gather the following from the explanation. Please correct me if am wrong.
Despite covering the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary. - CORRECT (Is Despite followed by a noun phrase - covering the entire planet here???)
Although covering the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary. - INCORRECT (Although followed by a noun phrase and not a clause)
Although it covers the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary -CORRECT (Although followed by a noun phrase)
Is my understanding correct??
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1379 [0], given: 122

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 22:50
This post was
BOOKMARKED
In SC question, there are always more than one errors. This question is an oddies but goodies example of the use idiom "neither x nor y" and the use of "although" and "despite"".

rather it is
>>> WRONG. right structure should be "not x or y, rather z"

stationary, but is >>>> WRONG. Right idiom should be "neither x nor y", not "neither x nor is y"

rather >>> WRONG. Same reason as B

rather >>> CORRECT. Right idiom "neither x nor y". The use of "although" is correct. After "although" always is a clause.

crust that is not seamless or stationary, but >>>> WRONG. Because "covering" does not modify Earth, it modifies "Earth's crust"

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE: Other (Transportation)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 34

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2013, 01:02
pqhai wrote:
In SC question, there are always more than one errors. This question is an oddies but goodies example of the use idiom "neither x nor y" and the use of "although" and "despite"".

rather it is
>>> WRONG. right structure should be "not x or y, rather z"

stationary, but is >>>> WRONG. Right idiom should be "neither x nor y", not "neither x nor is y"

rather >>> WRONG. Same reason as B

rather >>> CORRECT. Right idiom "neither x nor y". The use of "although" is correct. After "although" always is a clause.

crust that is not seamless or stationary, but >>>> WRONG. Because "covering" does not modify Earth, it modifies "Earth's crust"

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the explanation, however what I needed the clarification on was whether this sentence was correct or not -
Although covering the entire planet, Earth's crust is neither seamless nor stationary. - Note that I had changed Earth to Earth's crust, but even then as per the OG, Although's use in this sentence would still be wrong.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2013, 22:02
egmat wrote:
Hi there,

Let’s examine Choice B:
X = seamless (adjective)

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha

Can you throw some light on the antecedents of "it" in the answer choices as in most of the cases "it" doesnot have any antecedent
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 22:14
Quick doubts on this one .
Hope someone would help me.

(1). Can DESPITE precede anything other than NOUN, as explained by some poster that DESPITE can follow VERBING modifier?

(2). Does 'ALTHOUGH' always precedes a CLAUSE/WHOLE IDEA?

Query pertaining to the question:

Earth's crust fragmented into mobile semi rigid plates. (Per OG12 it is correct!)

But IMO it should be

Earth's crust is fragmented into mobile semi rigid plates. (As per me)

E-gmat verb-ed article states that ' When encounter VERB-ed' check for the doer of the action . Here , fragmenting is not done by the crust but it is a natural phenomenon.

EC fragmented wouldn't be || to EC is N seamless NOR stationary.
EC is fragmented would be || to EC is N seamless NOR stationary

Advise !

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Despite its covering the entire planet. Earth has a crust   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2013, 22:14