Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes, take a break off GMAT and then gather your energy for another try. Think this way, if the variance of the scores is normal then the next time it's more likely than not that it should fluctuate upwards. :-D

From your account of the last test I think timing may be your issue. Try to train yourself to a good pace through out the section, regardless of difficulties of the questions. It should help you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Before you get too down on yourself here....

My gmat scores:

1st time - Quant 43, Verbal 35 - overall 640
2nd time - Quant 33, Verbal 44 - overall 640
3rd time - Quant 45, Verbal 45 - overall 730

See that 10 point drop in quant? Yea, no idea what happened there either.... but... as you can see, I was able to overcome in the end. Just so you know a quant 43 to 33 drop is worse than your verbal drop in terms of %'s - by only 1%, but its still a bigger drop!

The quant drop is 30% lower on the percentile numbers. .... in fact, a 33 quant is 41%, below the mean. Your verbal score is at least above the mean!

Do not despair, for - as I once said - you may have lost this battle with the GMAT, but you can win the war.

Take some time off - not too much that you never find the motivation to come back to this. Two weeks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme - thanks for the kind words. We are in similar situations - I can only hope that my outcome will be as good as yours. I am going to read through your story and see if I can use any of your study methods to help me hit my goal.

I am still a little shocked at the drop in my verbal, I have never had trouble on that section. But it is what it is and the GMAT has won 2 rounds against me - however like you said, I can still win the war.

Yesterday was hard, my girlfriend is pissed at me for studying so much and then to come home without getting the score I wanted just added to it. The pressure has definitely been on, I think I need to take some of the pressure off and just go with the flow and see what happens. I will definitely study hard but the GMAT isnt the end of the world.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
[#permalink]
Dont worry, everything can happen, don't forget that even if you spend months studying for the GMAT your score only depends on a 4h exam with random questions (maybe you prefer geometry or maybe you like statistics , ...) so feel confident, study again for a while and come back :wink:

I lived the same story a while ago even if I score at a lower level
550, then 500, then 620 and finally 640 but I was close to quit the GMAT stuff after getting a 500 ! evrything is possible...

Good luck

Antoine
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1580 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey buddy dont stress,

640 is a good score. Maybe you need to focus more evenly on both sections. I feel that verbal can be hit or miss if you dont bring your A game. Good luck with everything
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts